"Prog's crowning achievement" — Which LP is it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm not so sure I would characterize Heaven and Earth that way...

2. Wounded Land

Ain't nothing wrong with any of those records. It aligns with my gut feeling that CTTE is the consensus pick, but it doesn't include my personal favorite, Yes' Relayer.

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think this is what I was trying to say and didn't know how. Interesting to me I said roots soul when Blues wasn't apparent to me; but I think you said a mouthful there and that jibes with my belief that there is pretty much nil Blues in The Lamb.

michanes and Wounded Land like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

More like Yes' nadir, too toothless and watered down to be considered genuinely progressive.

5. Wounded Land

I would agree with that. You hear the remnants of some black American music in Phil's drums, but that's it.

bmoregnr likes this.
  6. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Couldn't argue with Close to the Edge or Tales.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's a lyrically quote to a Drifters song in the very first song.

TLMusic and Wounded Land like this.
  8. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I don't see how you can pick just one. There too many great albums. It seems to me it would be far easier to pick the ten best or something like that, and even that would be difficult at best. It's like trying to pick your favorite food when you know darn well it really just depends on your mood at the time.

marmalade likes this.
  9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

There's a very obvious r&b/soul influence in "The Chamber Of 32 Doors". That's not to say it IS an r&b/soul song (as it would clearly be way too far of a stretch to make that claim), but the influence is definitely there. I don't see how anyone can miss it!

Bemsha and LivingForever like this.
  10. Wounded Land

You're absolutely right. I forgot about that.

11. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, but I don't consider PF a prog band, nor Supertramp.

Sordel and Mazzy like this.
  13. Wounded Land

Nice to see that there are so many VDGG fans here! :righton:

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

True, the Phil can of worms if you will I suppose, with all due respect of course.

I finally tracked down and have had in heavy rotation recently an original CD of The Lamb, so all of this is fresh in my head, but I feel there is a certain distopic, Orwellian struggle; a huge and grand statement at issue. Whether there is a payoff isn't really the issue for me on this question.

Maybe that is it for me; Yes always pays off and has a true heart to its message, a certain love always comes through.

This is proving a fascinating question for me, but I think the purest prog struggles with love as a message. There is a modicum of coldness for me. I think I would head for ELP or King Crimson maybe next before Yes. I will say Rush being mentioned is interesting.

Last thought, Steve Wilson should hit the Genesis canon next no?

15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's a toss up for me. Elp's Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery. It all depends on which day you ask me.

SKean likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Since about a week ago, TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS. World-class restoration by Steven Wilson that puts all the pieces back together as they should be heard (or in the case of 5.1 mix, takes them apart!).

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That was playing for me while you posted that, and while I sympathize, the next three songs completely wipe away any notion it ever happened! Just saying ;)

18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

In The Court Of The Crimson King. The first true prog album is still the best.

Though Larks Tongues In Aspic is certainly up there too in my book.

michanes, ronm, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

1. Selling England By the Pound
    2. Lamb Lies on the Broadway
    3. Per Un Amico

Grootna, SuntoryTime and Wounded Land like this.
  20. In the Court of the Crimson King by a million miles.... I love Pink Floyd but they were something else.

SKean, michanes and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I completely agree about Floyd. They were atmospheric, sometimes symphonic, and sonically exploratory, but not hard core prog to me.

I guess I ascribe a certain amount of virtuosic musicianship with prog, where Floyd were very often meat and potatoes rock.

uzn007 and michanes like this.
  22. yeah more psychedelic. I know they started that way but even later I personally wouldn't call them a prog band.

23. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

Tales for me.

Is Red actually Prog? Maybe "Starless", but I see the other tracks as Proto-metal. Ok, maybe some bits of "Fallen Angel" too.

24. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

A question for all the obvious lovers of prog on this thread - and I will preface this potentially heretical comment by stating that I love most prog, from ELP to VDGG to Yes unequivocally, but...Do you see why the Stooges, Sex Pistols, The Damned, et al. had to rise and stun the advance of prog?

To me, it had to do with addressing the evil twin of prog innovation - noodling/jamming at length for no discernible purpose, while perhaps mixing in some fantasy lyrics about a world no one will ever live in. This was fine for a while, but ultimately it did not reflect the world around us, especially if you were just starting out in life after the death of the hippie dream.

Mr. Bewlay, marmalade and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Again, Relayer is my personal pick, but I just spun the second Curved Air album and: DAMN!

JimW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.