Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Project Debut Carbon DC – A solution to the noise/hum problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry Phillpotts, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all

Long-time lurker here, coming out into the open to share my solution to a problem that effects many owners of the Pro-ject Debut Carbon – hum.

When I first plugged in my table there was a loud hum which was obviously a grounding issue. After some research I found this was curable by taking a cable from my pre-amp earth to the earth point on a plug. It’s a solution quite well documented on the web. When listening with the lid open, I had a pretty quiet sounding table.

However, there was a lesser electrical noise in the system that became more prominent as the stylus got close to the spindle. This is what a lot of people term “motor hum” and the solution, in my set up at least, has been to replace the standard power supply.

I was upgrading the PSU to my Graham Slee pre-amp anyway, so I spoke to Paul Baldwin at reelaudio in the UK. Paul made me up a dual rail linear PSU to power both the Graham Slee and my Debut Carbon with the correct filtered, linear DC voltage.

The outcome is that I have no electrical noise from the turntable even at the loudest volumes, a really “black” backdrop. There is no requirement for the custom earth lead either. Even better, my table’s RPM is locked at 33.3 – it was previously fluctuating between 32.8 and 33.1.

For a cheaper price than the Graham Slee PSU1 I have an upgrade to the pre-amp source and a completely silent and steady turntable. This has to be one of the best upgrades I’ve made. I would encourage any Pro-ject owners with noise/hum issues to investigate a linear, filtered PSU. There is no need to break the bank in doing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.