Promo CD Discoveries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BILLONEEG, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a few promo CD's in my collection including these four Coca Cola 3 inch CD's from 1991 & I've
    always wondered if any of these type CD's included something special. Did any of them include an
    alternate version of a song, exclusive song, rare mix, unreleased, etc.? The "Volume 3" CD below has
    "Where Does My Heart Beat Now" by Celine Dion. Is there something special about that version? I'd
    be interested to learn what's out there. Thank you much!
    [​IMG]

Colinjpush, onm3rcur7, Dugan and 5 others like this.
  2. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

My favorite promo was "The New Age of Atlantic" on Vinyl. It had Zeppelin's Hey Hey What Can I Do and the Yes version of America with the Bruford period line up. The Yes song was long and complete. Atlantic sold it for $1 as a promo.

I still have a Billy Joel DJ promo that had a live side from a HBO special. Good version of Billy the Kid on that one. That was a goodie also.

Colinjpush, Rupe33, McLover and 10 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Gabriel's UP Promo has a couple slight mix variations.
    Also includes a different mix of Burn You Up.
    [​IMG]

4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

How about differences & variations on CD's created for & tied to products (like the Coca Cola CD's)? Could a CD like this be given a better source or mix for example.

Colinjpush and c-eling like this.
  5. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I've got one of these original promo Flexi discs given to me by the landlord of my local back in 1973.
    It still plays.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

I originally purchased the promo CD of 'Tigermouth' by Kelli Ali released by One Little Indian; it was issued (2002) around 8-10 months in a lovely digipack before the final album came out in 2003. There is a different track listing, including a song Paper Moon that didn't make the final album - plus one of the songs (The Infinite Stars) has a punky band arrangement, which changed on the final version. Several tracks have quite different times and the production / arrangements are changed too.

Paul P. and c-eling like this.
  7. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Can't see my copy at the moment but I'm sure it's got a extra track compared to the final release.

CybrKhatru and c-eling like this.
  8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Ah, the days when the record labels promoted sales of the record album!!!
    ;)

9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I nabbed The Sisters of Mercy's Temple of Love CD single, UK promo at a local thrift store for $2 over a year ago. It's the only CD single that comes with the edited title track for the 7" EP version.

The Sisters Of Mercy - Temple Of Love (1992)

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

There were multiple promos issued for the James Brown box set, STAR TIME. I'm always a bit baffled how including stuff NOT on the promoted item somehow promotes it . . . It creates a collectable, to be sure, but how would a track not on the album in question promote that album?

11. c-eling

Burn is the extra track :)

12. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The original post is about Promo CD's,
    I didn't know you could play them on record players.

I have tons of promo cd singles, and mostly because they have rare and exclusive
    remixes : Will have to list them someday.

One that comes to mind is: Frazier Chorus - Nothing, with a promo remix.

later

Colinjpush, Lownotes, alchemy and 6 others like this.
  13. c-eling

That Frazier is nice!

14. c-eling

One that's been on my list for awhile.
    Last year I was able to track down the 12 and cd single Pro for Lucretia. :)

black sheriff, Robert C and tmtomh like this.
  15. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

So weird, I just heard of Frazier Chorus for the first time two weeks ago, and here's another mention of them.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Picked up a Best Buy 2-CD compilation for a buck at the used shop. Great mix of late-90s early-00s rock.

17. c-eling

Good catalog of music. Tim's got a great sense of humor.
    They started on 4ad with a nice 3 track EP back in 87.

phillyal1 likes this.
  18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

My most recent promo is an E.M.I. PUBLISHING sealed c.d. of JIM CROCE!3$....Easy choice!I have many for the fact that I used to shop at a used c.d. store near where 92.7 W.L.I.R. RADIO Was based....many a D.J. apparently turned in their booty....lots of rhino promo c.d.''s with/ without inlay cards.....I love promos!

Lewisboogie, jricc and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

You guys are probably tired of hearing about my Syntax promo collection by now, every time a similar thread pops up :laugh:
    So i'll post one of the few Shamen's I have.
    The Tight Mix is a 'rap-less' version
    Destination Eschaton, 1995
    [​IMG]

20. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Kraftwerk did a promo CD for their 8 albums box set, this contained (iirc) 10 tracks, one per album, plus a 7" version of "Autobahn" that was a different edit than the original hit single, and I don't think has been on any 7" single as yet.

(Saying that, I think there's a 7" coming with a magazine any moment)

21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I also have a ton of promo CDs, largely for the rare tracks that were often included. There was a stretch of time when promo CDs were going for dirt cheap but the collector's market has driven up the prices for many of them. Some artists and labels made a concerted effort to make their promos really worthwhile and unique. One of the newest promo CDs I've added to my collection is the Licensing Edition of the electronic artist Amon Tobin's last album ISAM. The set expands his 2011 album into a 2 CD set that includes a second disc with all of the other extra tracks from the various editions of the album, various remixes and a handful of completely unreleased tracks from the recording sessions. There are a few other similar "licensing editions" that Ninja Tune put out in the early 2010's that collected other album's extra tracks similarly and are worth tracking down.

SimonSaysCake and c-eling like this.
  22. nosliw

I forgot another one in my collection. I bought Pitchshifter's What You See Is What You Get promo CD through eBay around the year 2000, which comes with four exclusive live tracks not found anywhere. Pitchshifter - What You See Is What You Get

tmtomh likes this.
  23. c-eling

The 1992 6 track US EP Pro
    Lightning Seeds-Sense has a first recording of Open Goals
    [​IMG]

24. nosliw

Apparently, there's Jewel's Save The Linoleum promo CD that comes with several exclusive live and demo tracks.

Jewel - Save The Linoleum

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

Picked these up about 18 years ago from an old pawn shop.
    Couple favorites :)
    Figures On A Beach-Accidentally 4th Street, 1989
    Peter Schilling-A Different Story, 1989
    [​IMG]