Proper Storage Conditions for Records? Humidity & Temperature

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the past year I have my collection in boxes, around 50 records are still sealed, some are top copies of desirable copies, 90s copies 1st pressings, 70s rare prog... the point is, after checking sadly I denote the SEALED copies start to looks wavy on the artwork, so For the skeptics: YES!!!! SOME! shrinks can DAMAGE the artworks, and I say SOME shrinks because some are fine and other don't.

I think the problem of a shrink that damage a records depends of the kind of shrink, some are very well made and some other don't and tends to warp the artwork.

ALL the copies that I have open are fine! again my affected wavy/warp artworks are only the sealed records in his original shrink.

Of course I'm going to OPEN EVERYTHING from now! I prefer a mint open record than a sealed damaged warp record!

The point is, the condition of the storage on the boxes are "fine" (I think), the records are not stored in a very cool humidity place or a very hot place, but well NOW after see all that shrink records start to warp the arts and possible the disc inside I'm start to be very paranoid about the conditions of the room, so!!!!!! the question is:

What's the correct conditions, meters to avoid damage on records?

I make a research from comics collectors, those guys care his comics a lot, but is the same for records?
    Proper Storage Conditions for Comic Books | Comic Book Collecting Association
    Optimal Humidity and Temp. for storage of comics? - Collectors Society Message Boards

I need a meter like this, and a Dehumidifier maybe.
    Amazon.com: ThermoPro TP50 Hygrometer Thermometer Indoor Humidity Monitor with Temperature Gauge Humidity Meter: Home & Kitchen

ANY HELP PLEASE!

ps: Some Shrinks on Sealed Records are EVIL!

2. stenway

Now I know why why is hard find NM or Mint copies of records, no responses, overall I see records collectors no cares much about the condition :rolleyes:
    I'll go to ask in some comics collectors forum. Comics collectors are obsessive about condition.

3. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

I remember years ago reading that some types of shrink wrap "shrinks" over time causing records to warp. I would slit your sealed ones open and store them vertically.

melstapler likes this.
  4. stenway

Yes, I learn! on the HARD WAY :(
    Like I said I have boxes of records mixed, some sealed some open, the results:

• Some sealed are now totally warp :realmad:
    • Some sealed are now fine
    • ALL the open ones are fine

so from now my new rule of collecting, I'm going to open ALL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.