PSA: Fake Bandcamp Pages - Watch Out for These...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by patient_ot, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member Thread Starter

I know there are a few people on here that use Bandcamp for digital music purchases and I have been enthusiastic about the platform on here in the past.

That said, over the weekend I learned that fake Bandcamp pages set up by counterfeiters have become a "thing" and got taken by one after purchasing hundreds of legit albums direct from artists/labels on there over the last few years.

Bottom line is that Bandcamp needs better up-front verification before giving someone an artist/label account on the site. Don't assume that just because you see something on there it is legit.

Some signs that a page might be fake:

-The Bandcamp page is not linked on an "official" artists or label sites.

-The Bandcamp page only has an artist's latest release up, with no back catalog titles.

-The Bandcamp page has no links or the ability to purchase "hard copy" LP, CD, or cassette tape versions of the album being sold on Bandcamp.

-The Bandcamp page is selling an album way ahead of the official release date

-The Bandcamp page went up over a weekend

-The Bandcamp page has unusual tags at the bottom of the page

If you are unsure whether something is legit at all, shoot an email to the artist or label's site before making a purchase.

Galley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.