Puerto Rican Pressing Plants?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RebelKatt, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelKatt

RebelKatt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello fellow record geeks. Lately I've been collecting albums that were pressed in countries other than the U.S.
    A friend has has family in Puerto Rico and we were wondering if there are or were pressing plants there.
    Anyone know?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

A Billboard article from 1974 mentions four record pressing plants in Puerto Rico. (You can google the text below to find the full article online, which also discusses local record labels.)

"Puerto Rico has four modern record pressing plants. All are located in San Juan. They are: Montilla (10 presses), Puerto Rico Records (12), Rio Piedras Records (8) and San Juan Records (5)."

I do not have any info about active record pressing plants today in Puerto Rico. (And I'm sure you did not mean this, but Puerto Rico is part of the USA.)

BeauZooka likes this.
  3. RebelKatt

RebelKatt Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is good information. Including the fact that P.R. is U.S. Thank you. This gives me a ton of info to pass on to my buddy.

4. L0L59

L0L59 Well-Known Member

Might be late to the party, but there used to be pressing plants, however I'm very sure they're not in operation anymore. There are records on Discogs that you will find that are pressed in Puerto Rico (while the cover may be made somewhere else). Just a little warning, they aren't the best of pressings (loud surface noise with bubbles on the records, I could send pictures of some if you'd like)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.