Pump Up The Volume

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wondergrape, Jun 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excellent little film from the early nineties that has slipped into obscurity. I've often wondered if its challenging and cynical adolescent themes made it somewhat undesirable for distributors. At any rate, I'm a fan.

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

“Everybody knows that the dice were loaded, everybody knows that the good guys lost.”

3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Saw it upon its release in Australia (January, 1991?): amazingly, it actually received limited theatrical distribution here! We were huge fans of Heathers, so the film was on our radar due to Christian Slater. It was a great screening, and we were really lucky to see it with an appreciative, intelligent crowd. It was one of the few films pitched at Gen X that didn't feel patronising (somewhat akin to River's Edge, etc.) Even more importantly, it was slightly ahead of the game with its musical content (Pixies, Concrete Blonde, Rollins, Cowboy Junkies) in a pop culture world that was pre-Internet and pre-Nevermind and still regarded Axl Rose as the height of civil disobedience. The soundtrack definitely made an impact upon my circle (and I still hold the UK surf version of 'Wave of Mutilation' to be the definitive version).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Pangurban, Kevin j, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  4. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Hard to forget Harry.

Boom Operator likes this.
  5. Rushfan

Rushfan Forum Resident

Great film, I just watched the Blu ray a few weeks
    ago and really enjoyed it. I had not seen it in many
    years and love the music and vibe of the the film.

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Dance dance

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Forgot all about it and haven't seen it in over 25 years. I need to see it again. Thanks for reminding me, I loved it the first time I saw it.

Boom Operator and Hyacinth House like this.
  8. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

Howdy:

I was the boom operator on Pump up the Volume so very many (many!) moons ago.

As I recall, it was a pretty fun shoot (excluding all those freezing nights out in Saugus, that is)… oh, and the director, Allan Moyle, was a rascal. Super good guy.

Talk hard, baby! ;)

~Huck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hooodo Man, Pangurban, jazon and 20 others like this.
  9. wondergrape

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing. What's the deal with the diploma?

MikeInFla, Hyacinth House and Simon A like this.
  10. Boom Operator

You are very welcome. :)

It was a gag (along with the inflatable doll) from the Prop Dept. referencing the chronic masturbater line in a scene previously shot.

I also found this call sheet from three days before we wrapped (we later did three days of reshoots in February of ’90). So strange to remember when all call sheets were handwritten. Man, those 2nd 2nds sure earned their dough scribbling those up every day, way back when. Yikes!

~Huck

[​IMG]

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Wow what a trip to see all those posts from Huck! Very cool.

Anyway, always had a soft spot for this one and loved the soundtrack (infinitely superior version of Wave of Mutilation and awesome Soundgarden track Heretic) - just wanted to say they did a really good job with the recent Blu-ray release and it's the best I've ever seen the movie look. Well worth picking up at under $20
    https://www.amazon.com/Pump-Up-Blu-ray-Christian-Slater/dp/B08SYKT8GM

Simon A likes this.
  12. Boom Operator

Just because I had it handy, here's the call sheet for day one (of three) for some pick-ups we did without Christian in early '90. Those were the final three days spent shooting Pump up the Volume.

~Huck
    [​IMG]

13. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Great stories..glad the movie has aged well. I haven't seen it I many years,but loved it when it was released.

14. Boom Operator

New Line was too cheap to have a cast/crew screening but Allan arranged for my then-girlfriend (seen here holding a balloon/tag that got us into the after-party across the street at the Roosevelt Hotel) and me to attend the premiere at the Chinese.

That was the first and only time I ever saw the picture… but I'm glad it (apparently) still resonates with some folks!

~Huck

[​IMG]

15. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

You really owe yourself a second viewing (and report back to us here with your thoughts!). :)

16. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I liked it, bought the sound track. The Rollins/Bad Brains version of Kick out the Jams,is my favorite version.

17. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

18. Boom Operator

I’m not sure I recall which character’s bedroom set this was but, judging by his overflowing pockets, I’m thinking our gaffer must have won Dollar Day that particular evening!

Although, as drawing a winner is typically the last thing done at the end of each workweek after camera wrap, I’m not sure why it appears he’s still working.

Hmmmm… it's a Pump up the Volume mystery! ;)

~Huck

[​IMG]

MikeInFla likes this.
  19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've never seen this movie, but this thread made me try to hunt it down. I couldn't find it on any of the streaming services nor on Verizon OD. I'm sure it'll appear sometime.

wondergrape and Johnny66 like this.
  20. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

“Cresswood is a maggot pusswad” ranks right up there with “It was Barzini all along”

21. wondergrape

Might have to rent it the old fashioned way. I've never seen it available to stream.

22. Pangurban

Pangurban Forum Resident

First soundtrack I ever bought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.