Q magazines "15 Albums Where Great Rock Acts Lost The Plot" (poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Cut The Crap for sure.

Monster shouldn't be on this list.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The whole idea of the Stones making a psychedelic album was losing the plot in many people’s eyes, no matter if some of it was good — it just wasn’t their area.

altaeria likes this.
  3. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Though I liked some songs, Invincible was MJ at his lowest. Blondie's album and The Clash (I think that album was their attempt to get with the new wave crowd, right?)

Prince's Batman album was great lol

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

TSMR- actually a great record and was a natural progression from where the Stones had been going, and it really shows the group widening their palette as performers and writers, which they’d take with them as they’d craft the most acclaimed albums of their career.

Self Portrait- I don’t know my Dylan as well but from I understand this was him fulfilling his contractual obligations. I could be wrong but I don’t think it really qualifies as “losing the plot”.

Preservation Pt 2-I don’t know this album so can’t comment.

Metal Machine Music- This was a deliberate artistic choice on Lou’s part, and Lou again has never had a conventional career path.

Hot Space-Oh yeah, they f’ed up pretty bad on here.

Music From the Elder-I actually dig this record but I do understand why someone would vote for this record. It totally fails as a concept album and was an extremely misguided idea. But then again, it’s not like KISS was on the right track at that point in their career. So a toss up.

The Hunter-Don’t know the album so can’t comment.

Trans-Not a fan of the album, but Neil has had an unorthodox career path to begin with so its hard for me to say he lost the plot here.

Cut The Crap-Big time.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason-Yeah, they Defintely did lose the plot here. David Gilmour may be a good guitar player, but without Roger steering the ship he crashes into the Nantucket Sound.

Batman-This is actually a pretty fun, if not entirely essential, record.

Is Dead- This is a very good record. Does not at all belong on the list.

Monster-Not my favorite of R.E.M.’s, but this was actually a very strong effort in retrospect.

Invincible-Though there are select tracks I genuinely enjoy, Michael was not on his A game here, so yeah, I can see the “lost the plot” here.

St. Anger-As terrible as this album is, Metallica had already lost the plot by this point, which is why I didn’t vote for it.

Timmy84 and trumpet sounds like this.
  5. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

The most egregious entry that shouldn't be on that list is 'Monster' by R.E.M.

Too be honest, these 'list' articles from magazines are just lazy, it's rather like those 'news' articles you see that basically just screenshot Twitter.

6. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Wow... I just listened to some tracks on Cut The Crap (never heard it before) and it's a complete mess!!! It's right up there with MMM and Pulse Demon.

Timmy84 likes this.
  7. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Preservation 1 & 2 are my favorite Kinks albums. I'm not a Stones fan at all but I like several songs on TSMR. The Hunter has several good songs, too. The rest I don't know and don't care about.

ajsmith, R. Totale and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Monster? Im not even a fan of REM, i know 4 or 5 albuns but of those Monster is my favorite.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hell no. Some of Aftermath was good (I'm referring to the original UK album) but when you hear stuff like "Stupid Girl", "Dontcha Bother Me", "Mother's Little Helper", "Take It Or Leave It", "Think", "What To Do", "High And Dry",... Yikes, pretty weak songwriting I'd say. They began to abandon their blues and R&R roots, in pursuit of the kind of recognition that the Beatles were getting, but were off to a poor start. Some cool singles were very good however ("Paint It Black" being the best example).
    Between The Buttons was even worse. A twee little baroque pop album. Lost the plot alright (even if I like a few tracks). Within all the psychedelia,TSMR saw a return to rock and was like a wonderful interlude.
    With Beggar's, they finally came to their senses, back to their beloved Americana and the GREAT run began, all the way to Exile and beyond.
    That's how I have always felt it anyway.

trumpet sounds and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

None of the above?

I don't love every one of them, but I love most of them, and even the ones I don't love--like Metal Machine Music--have merits in my opinion.

Jarleboy and notesofachord like this.
  11. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Not losing the plot as much as losing 3/4 of the band! No Mick, Topper, or Paul.

But 'This is England' might be Joe Strummer's best solo song!

Man at C&A and Interpolantics like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Definitely The Clash. They shouldn’t even have been called The Clash by that time.

Monster does not belong on this list.

13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Only two on that list for me - cut the crap has one great song (this is England) but the rest is awful , beyond redemption for me , as is Dylan’s self portrait, another crock of ****e

All the others on the list are fine by me, and satanic majesties request is a great record imo , of its time and a great late night listen

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Great albums all.

Okay, maybe not, but the thing that they have in common is that the artists were taking chances and being adventurous, which is much preferred to taking the safe road and remaking the same album over and over. BORING. Good on 'em all for trying something new.

I wish that more bands/artists would have the cajones to "lose the plot" from time to time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Apparently, Q has lost the plot.

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

1. Rolling Stones – Their Satanic Majesties Request - I like it ... I don't think they lost the plot here

2. Bob Dylan – Self Portrait - I don't like it, but Bob is always going to do what he wants

3. Kinks – Preservation Act 2 - Great album

4. Lou Reed – Metal Machine Music - I think it's a waste of plastic, but Lou is also going to do whatever he wants
    5. Queen – Hot Space - Not their best album, but a good album

6. Kiss – Music From The Elder - One of my favourite Kiss albums

7. Blondie – The Hunter - The only Blondie album that I don't have from the original run

8. Neil Young – Trans - didn't hear it

9. Clash – Cut The Crap - One good song and the rest is rubbish

10. Pink Floyd – A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - I really like it, and I'm waiting for the 5.1 to get released

11. Prince – Batman - I didn't like it, but again, Prince will be Prince

12. De La Soul – Is Dead - never heard it ... I thought it was popular?

13. REM – Monster - I personally liked this album too

14. Michael Jackson – Invincible - never heard it

15. Metallica – St Anger - I gave up on Metallica long before this album

Terrapin Station, carlwm and Sondek like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Three votes for Cut The Crap. It is truly abysmal and not worth listening to more than once.

Man at C&A and mark winstanley like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They never had the plot imo.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I agree that "THE HUNTER" is not one of Blondie´s better albums - I guess I´d be crazy to offer such an opinion. But the album did have its highlights. The title track is one of the best cover versions I have ever heard. "ISLAND OF LOST SOULS" is an attempt to repeat the success of "THE TIDE IS HIGH" that mainly works. "LITTLE CAESAR" has its moments, and "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY" reminds me a little bit of their early songs "PICTURE THIS" and "(I´M ALWAYS TOUCHED BY YOUR) PRESENCE DEAR". So, a step down in overall quality control, but enough good tracks to enjoy. IMO, of course.

bvb1123 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Jarleboy

They never had it. Too much up their own... Well, you know. :shh: No, Q had its years where they were relevant, but the repeated the school of thought that Rolling Stone did, IMO - they stopped reporting the scene and thought they WERE the scene.

DTK likes this.
  21. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I heard a couple songs when it first came out because I really loved Blondie and I remember I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love St Anger and Trans.

Reload easily worse record than St Anger.

KISS finally stop singing about sex and you consider that a bad thing? Not I. "I", get it.

23. Jarleboy

I would recommend the title track. Originally a hit for The Marvelettes, and written by Smokey Robinson, this has long been a favourite of mine. The rest of the album is VERY hit and miss, IMO, but some good fun along the way.

bvb1123 likes this.
  24. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Kool. Thanks!

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

In about 2003.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.