Q re: Neil Young CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vex

vex New Member

Wow! That's very cool to know! I know there are "hidden" quad titles out there that were encoded but not advertised or marked as being quad, but I never knew about "Harvest". I'll have to give that one a listen through the ol' SQ decoder and see how it sounds.

It's especially interesting to see an SQ encoded recording from an artist on the Warner family of labels. Warner never (officially) released anything in the SQ format and instead went with the CD-4 quad format. So, if Neil released anything in quad, I would expect to see it on CD-4. Good ol' Neil, always the rebel!

Thanks for the inside scoop, Steve!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sure!

Why they mixed this album this way, instead of a Quad mix and a stereo mix, I do not know.

Probably, they wanted to do ONE mix of the thing, that would play on both systems.

Not a clue as to the thinking here!

But heck, it WAS mixed at Quadrophonic Studios...

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Steve,

Back in the '70s there was an article in Billboard claiming that 10 or so Capitol LPs were released as QS encoded albums, but were not marked. One of these was disclosed as Dark Side of the Moon in the article (which I have, by the way).

At any rate, do you know if this was just Sansui/Capitol smoke, or was it in fact true? One would have had to assume that the titles would correspond to the titles that Capitol released on Q8s, i.e. Steve Miller, McCartney, PF, Helen Reddy, Starr, Lennon, etc.

You would think that, at the time, they would have wanted to make that fact public. (This was early quad-era). The only official Capitol quad LPs were some sampler SQ encoded albums from Cap Spec Products.

:-jon

BTW - That is VERY interesting about Harvest!! I can assure you that "vex" know his quad!! :D

4. jason r. baur

jason r. baur Banned

Are you saying that After The Gold Rush has an RE-1? Please let me know, because my copy doesn't. Any other Warners Young titles with RE-1's?

5. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Yes. "AFTER THE GOLD RUSH" has been upgraded and my disc has a RE-1 in the inner ring. Sound is very good. Definitely better than the standard issue.

6. jason r. baur

jason r. baur Banned

Thank you! I assume you don't know about later Young titles besides Decade.

7. tonytonitone

tonytonitone BannedBandBynd

I've been checking out this site for a few days now, and today I bought "After The Gold Rush" on your recommendation. I must say that you're absolutely right: The RE-1 has a great deal more "oomph" to it than the original CD. This has to be one of those cases where it is a remaster and not just some other alteration.

JJ3810, did you happen upon the RE-1's by chance, or had you heard about the upgrade elsewhere? And besides "Everybody Knows," "Gold Rush" and "Harvest," do any other WB/Reprise Neil Young CDs bear an RE-1?

8. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

No, I had no prior info regarding any of these being upgraded. When "Everybody Knows ..." showed up and sounded very good I got "After The Gold Rush" and that sounded much improved too. I tried a copy of "Decade" from two different sources but that was not upgraded and I tried "Neil Young" but that had not changed either. Warners has been very quiet about this sort of thing so I guess it's "hit or miss". Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

9. tonytonitone

tonytonitone BannedBandBynd

JJ3810,

That's OK. Your original information was very helpful. Thanks!

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'll have to invest in a new copy of After the Gold Rush now!

11. JWB

JWB New Member

This matches my collection exactly.

"Everyone" is RE-2 and "Harvest" is RE-1. Everything else is plain.

Surprised....I bought Harvest over 10 years ago!

What about "Gold Rush", though? Someone mentioned that they have an RE-1, but mine is regular.

12. JWB

JWB New Member

The "Gold Rush" RE-1 must be fairly new...I bought an "old" copy a few weeks ago.

However, my RE-1 "Harvest" is more than 10 years old!

13. kevin

kevin Senior Member

btw the red rocks live dvd has a DTS soundtrack along with the dolby digital one

14. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Pre RE-1

Here's the original Pre "RE-1" from 1983-1985. You can't go back any farther than this!

[​IMG]

15. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Actually, the current issue is "RE-3", which sounds identical to my "RE-2" copy. Anybody know what's different between the two?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.