DCC Archive Q to Steve Re: Beach Boys 40 Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Steve,

Someone mentioned that you mastered a Beach Boys collection for Razor & Tie. Is this the same 40 Greatest Hits collection that was advertised in newspaper magazines (like Parade) and on TV?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes. It used clones of the DCC masters.

3. Angel

Angel New Member

Ah, this explains a lot. My mom bought a copy from the TV commercial. I told her she was crazy, until I heard it....Now I want one!

Amazing sounding stereo "Little Saint Nick".

Someone at Razor & Tie must have been pretty hip to put that title on there. Christmas hits almost never appear on Greatest Hits albums...

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Question - does it use the stereo versions of the early tracks (where available), or does it use the mono mixes?

5. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

No kidding. I remember seeing those on TV and in newspaper ads and thinking "they probably sound like crap."

Considering that DCC hasn't pressed any new copies of Endless Summer yet (though I was told they were going to in August), this may be a more viable alternative, assuming they haven't messed with Steve's work.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

6. Steve Hoffman

Mike Ragogna, my buddy who works at MCA/Universal compiled that one. I think the shirts gave him much grief about including "Little Saint Nick" on there, but he made them see the light. Good thing, eh? I THINK it's the only place where one can hear the "correct" original stereo version of "Saint Nick"....

I used the original stereo LP version without the mono overdubs...My call totally, but Mike backed me up.

FYI, just like on the DCC "Endless Summer" and "Spirit Of America", I used the correct stereo mixes in all places that a stereo mix existed. The "mono only" mixes, of course I used on songs like "California Girls". I also used the correct hit single versions of "Be True To Your School" and "Help Me Rhonda", etc.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sounds good...

Next question - anyone know where to actually find a copy?

8. About three weeks ago I ordered Endless Summer from the DCC store. Yesterday, DCC sent me an e-mail saying that Endless Summer will be available in January.

9. Steve Hoffman

www.musicspace.com has the Razor & tie Beach Boys Greatest Hits.

As I mentioned in another thread, We can't just assume they are still using the master tapes I sent them to manufacture these discs.

They could be, though...

10. Angel

Angel New Member

Good news. I'm there!

Even if they used a copy of a copy of Steve's work to manufacture, it will still sound a million times better than anything else out there.

And if by some chance they are still using the original glass mastering to manufacture, even better!

Whoopee!!! ;)

11. Steve Hoffman

In response to several emails....

Yes, on the Razor & Tie Beach Boys TV disc I did, the tracks from Pet Sounds are from the DCC 24 Karat Gold Disc mastering. And, yes, they are the original mono Brian Wilson/Chuck Britz mixes. I wouldn't have done it any other way!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.