qobuz 24 bit music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Sheagren, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

Are you using an OTG cable, or the supplied USB-C>USB-A adapter?

2. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

The supplied cable that came with the Cobalt.

3. Robert Goodison

Are you getting no sound at all, or is it down-sampling it?
    Have you used another music app, and can play 24bit/96kHz files?

4. Robert Goodison

Also - are you streaming, or playing back local 24bit/96kHz files?

5. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

No files. Just try to listen to 24/96 with Qobuz. I have everything setup at 24/96.
    It's down sampling. This my first go at hi res.

6. Robert Goodison

Playing anything at better than CD quality (16bit/44kHz) requires either a Qobuz Studio or Sublime+ subscription.
    If you have Premium, you're limited to a maximum of 320kbps MP3; if you have Hi-Fi, you're limited to 16bit/44kHz FLAC.

What subscription do you have?

7. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Studio

8. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

I got it. There must have been a clich somewhere so I started over and I have it now. Thanks Robert.

NYMets41 and Robert Goodison like this.
  9. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Have you tried USB Audio Player Pro? It bypasses the internal driver and uses it's own.

10. Robert Goodison

Excellent news. Going off-topic a tad - but how are you liking the AQ DF Cobalt? Any experience with other DF models? (I have a DF Red, and am thinking of upgrading).

11. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

I've only have about 2hrs so honestly I haven't given it much time to break in yet.

12. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

I have been using the Fulla2. Nice amp/dac for the money.

13. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Tidal can play back MQA at 96 without a special DAC.

....but, ok--streaming brings new folks to the party. Gotcha.

14. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Yeap no need to buy 1 album for 30 dollars and a import(wait 2 weeks)of just one album when I can listen to the whole artists discography on the fly anywhere anytime for just 25 a month.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I'm not sure if it has been addressed already as I lost track of this thread and have not stayed on top of it since I asked the question a couple weeks ago. But I thought I would let everyone know that Qobuz customer service responded to an email inquiry I had about bit-perfect playback and have been informed by them that the Qobuz Player does indeed perform bit-perfect playback when assigning the "Audio Output" to WASAPI and your DAC. So additional 3rd party software is not needed in order to perform bit perfect playback.

Just thought I'd throw this out there if anybody was interested.

Scott Sheagren and enfield like this.
  16. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Dead top end with digital? I haven't found that to be true.

For me it's the opposite. Producers and engineers feel the need to crank the top end until I can't take it anymore.

17. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Annoying distorted "hash" is NOT a clear clean musical "top end."
    We are not talking about the same thing.
    Digital has enough "noise" in the top end.
    What it doesn't have is anything resembling real instruments.
    24/192 you can actuallty make out what that "noise" on the top was "supposed" to be.
    Low bit rate stuff those cymbals just sound like two garbage cans being banged together.
    I played Zildjian cymbals for years and can't hear them on low bit rate recordings.
    Just "noise."
    Real LOUD noise...

18. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Using software you can unfold MQA but only partially to 24/96 and without (I believe but may have this wrong...) the "special sauce" MQA hardware is designed to add to the process.
    I suppose it is better than 16/44 but I would have to hear it to know for sure.
    Isn't there some discussions about Tidal/MQA onlv being 17 bits in any event?
    Most of my collection of legacy DACs can handle 24/192 already so they give full results already with Qobuz.
    Therefore I never gave MQA much thought as the big pitch involved buying new equipment to get the "full" effect.
    So thanks for the correction.

19. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

FYI, there is no spectral content above 44.1 / 48 kHz in MQA-encoded audio, period.

20. Scott Sheagren

Oh no doubt I am using asio when streaming on my hifi set up

21. Scott Sheagren

I just got home from NYC and got a usb jitter isilencer with e3000 for jogging with Hi-res qobuz and the sound is simply amazing.i even used my isilencer in my car usb with qobuz hires and the sound dramatically became clearer and I’d say I’m way way past any vinyl turntable i ever had to what I have spent.and I have been a audio nerd for maybe 15 years now.
    No doubt hires is amazing as mentioned above but my cd jriver server is way past my vinyl even more now.
    First I use deoxit first(no other way for a audiophile like me).

22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. A drive that is accessible on your home network and shares files to other computers on your home network. So basically a file share that is available on your home network.

Some home routers have a feature that allows you to plug in a USB hard drive and create a network share. Plug in a 1TB to 4TB portable hard drive and you can have 1-4 TB of storage available on the network. Any of your computers, and even your phones or tablets, will be able to access the music on the drive. Many dedicated streaming media players/devices can also access music files stored on a NAS.

There are also dedicated NAS devices. Like these from Western Digital. And other companies.

SandAndGlass, Melvin and NYMets41 like this.
  23. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I've become obsessed over computer audio sound quality compared with a good CD transport, both using the same DAC. The CD transport sounds significantly better to me, to the point where I can no longer enjoy Tidal or Qobuz. There is something wrong about audio produced by a computer source. It appears muffled, intermittent and congested compared with a dedicated audio source such as a CD transport.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I have compared 24/192 to 16/44.1 on Quobuz on quite a few songs and can't hear the difference but it's not the reason you might think. After spending some time on Quobuz it dawned on me that I can't prove or verify where Quobuz is getting its HiRez source from. Any mention of a title is usually of an old album that never got near digital. So where did Quobuz get the high quality digital file from? Was it from an SACD? Do they have access to the original analog tapes and just did a straight transfer to HiRez digital (No editing)? Does the music label provide the HiRez files? Or are they just upsampling from CD standard to HiRez just like anyone can do in Audacity?

This is what you and anyone else can't prove from where the better sound is coming from. You A/B two supposedly identically sourced music files, only one is CD standard rez and the other is HiRez, but you can't prove where the HiRez was sourced from. Does Quobuz remaster any HiRez files to make them sound better? I doubt you'll be able to answer these questions. I know I can't.

25. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

David Craff of Qobuz answered this question in a thread on Audiophile Style back in November:

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.