Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's not a problem for me, as I rarely use playlists, or shuffle songs when streaming, or playing anything else, for that matter, unless I deliberately create a various artists comp.

H.I.McDonough likes this.
  2. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Thanks, but my main use for the radio type feature or playlists is in conjunction with Apple CarPlay or at the gym. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me, I'll be keeping Qobuz. I'm still hoping that it can serve as my only streaming service. However, $5.00 more per month for the basic Pandora radio service isn't going to kill me either.

Qobuz has been very forward in asking that beta users not judge the entire user experience until after they go live. They could still be implementing features.

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean "lean back experience" in terms of playlists? I did just google that but I am not clear on the specifics of the term still. thx.

4. At the moment, the Qobuz iOS app plays only downloaded music via Carplay, not streamed music.

5. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I did notice that. I was hoping that was just due to the beta version and not an actual limitation. Again, not a deal breaker but it is impractical for me.

"Lean back" simply means that you are able to choose a playlist that is already prepared by the streaming service like "Jazz for Dinner Parties" or "Classical for Working Out". Or it could be a genre specific station on Pandora, like "Classic Metal". You just chose the playlist or station, "lean back", and let the music play with very little interaction or effort on the part of the listener. Much like traditional radio.

The only reason I value the lean back experience is that I spend a lot time traveling by car for work and it's much easier, and safer, to let Pandora play via CarPlay than constantly trying to choose specific albums. I do that when I'm able to give it my full attention, and I really don't care enough to create my own playlists.

Billy Infinity and Sandinista like this.
  6. Sandinista

ahhhh, thx!

I think that means I am a "lean forward" type person. I have So. Many. Playlists on J River.

I can see why someone would value "lean forward" especially for discovering new music.

7. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I'm really making good use of Qobuz's import feature (for desktop & laptop PC's). Tidal did promise this feature from way back and stated it was under development but nothing ever came from it after the JayZ purchase. Importing the music to my hard drive almost gives me the feeling of owning it since playback is not streamed, but I have to remind myself this is only viable while subscribing. My internet becomes sluggish when listening to a 24/192 stream, but not when listening to an import.

8. Sandinista

That's a nice feature - to be clear, once it's downloaded to your hard drive you can then import the music to another media server, like J River, for instance? That's a big plus for me as I have tons of music already there and to be able to add to already existing playlists via downloading the album to my hard drive would be useful, I think.

9. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I've tried setting Audirvana+ to pick up Qobuz's imported files but have not been successful although no problem with Audirvana+ picking up my Qobuz favorites. Audirvana+ syncs the Qobuz import file but I can't retrieve it for playback through Audirvana+. If I'm doing something wrong, I hope I can eventually figure this out because as you say it would be nice to have your entire library playing within a single player.

Sandinista likes this.
  10. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I was able to sync my Qobuz import files to my JRiver player but they appear as "raw" file types. One track shows multiple raw files. I have to assume that only the Qobuz player can assemble these files into one playable track, thus when unsubscribing your computer loses the ability to reassemble these tracks. After unsubscribing the tracks would still exist within your hard drive but would not be playable. I'm not sure about this analysis but the logic seems to fit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sandinista likes this.
  11. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

That would make the most sense. Otherwise, you could easily amass an incredible collection and then unsubscribe. I tried the same thing with Roon (importing an album in the Qobuz app -> shows up as .raw files on hard drive -> point to folder on Roon) and no dice.

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm missing from Qobuz as well. I really like Spotify's "Your Daily Mix" playlists, and I've subscribed to a ton of really nicely curated playlists from other subscribers across a vast amount of genres. If Spotify ever went lossless and added a store like Qobuz, it'd be a home run for me. As it stands, I don't know if I'd keep paying for Qobuz after my beta period ends. I can live with Spotify's sound quality to have access to the playlists and such.

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Quick question for people in the US that have received a BETA testing email invite:
    When I click on the link and use the email they tell me to use, it says that email already has an account. Also, when I get to choose which plan to trial, it asks me to input my credit card, but it is in pounds and tells me my country is not available to use Qobuz yet.
    Ant suggestions?

14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Launching on the 14th.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I just got an email from Qobuz saying that I'm invited to stream the music.

lpfreak1170, Grant and 500Homeruns like this.
  16. Grant

Did you previously access Qubuz through a VPN?:tsk: That is precisely why I decided not to pursue that road before I got the beta invite.

17. Grant

Yeah, like I haven't already spent tons of money on music from there already!:thumbsup: But, it was money well spent!

18. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

No. Never used a VPN for anything.
    I did figure it out though. I was able to find a drop down on one of the pages and change my country to the US.
    My early thoughts are that I really like Qobuz and I am 95% sure I will be dropping my Tidal subscription.

Grant likes this.
  19. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I remember reading somewhere that Qobuz would be coming to Canada a few months after the US launch. Really looking forward to trying it. Quite jealous of you guys south of the border. :)

20. Grant

I've been keeping iTunes around on my hard drive for years with no use for it, but waiting for the day they go lossless. That day will probably never come, and Qobuz fits my needs much more, and is less bloated. So, i'm going to uninstall iTunes.

500Homeruns likes this.
  21. Grant

I thought you guys already had Qobuz. :confused:

22. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Unfortunately not yet.

23. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I starting streaming Qobuz, and it sounds pretty darn good. I cancelled Tidal and will be using Qobuz, because I can’t really afford or justify having two services.

Grant likes this.
  24. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

25. Bon Scott

Bon Scott Well-Known Member

I've been in beta testing for a couple of weeks now. I signed up for the Studio option, which allows streaming up to 24/192. I'm using the Qobuz app on a PC and sending the music via USB to a DAC and then into an amp. Some (not all) of the hi-res 24/192 offerings play only a 30 second clip from a song before moving on to a 30 second clip of the next song on the release; no song plays fully. When playback of a song begins, it shows as being only 30 seconds long in the lower portion of the app. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there some setting I have to adjust?

500Homeruns likes this.