Quadrophenia vinyl experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The UK, TML is heavy with the pixie dust!
    Next I would choose the US TML (US & UK TML's are NOT the same). Thankfully the US pressings used the W5/6 stampers up to the early brown labels.
    Then the Classic 2oo gram is my third choice, albeit not cost effective and rather harsh on the top end.
    Anyhoo, that's all I have experience with.

2. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Further to my earlier reply to this thread, I've just replayed this album and stand by my previous answer that this is a brilliant pressing.

One thing I have noticed is that in the deadwax, the inscription "miles" is there and also the information that it was pressed at the qz pressing plant, which surprised me even more as the pressing is flawless!

First time for everything

beatleswho likes this.
  3. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

You refer to the Back To Black edition?

funknik likes this.
  4. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

It's the latest universal pressing that I got a couple of weeks ago.
    Catalogue number is 2780504.
    Cheers.

squittolo and beatleswho like this.
  5. beatleswho

Yes, that's the 2015 reissue, the same one that is in the box i believe.
    I think they are from a digital master. Maybe some tracks are remixed, not sure. That's not the Back to Black edition.
    Great to know anyway

squittolo and mc7t like this.
  6. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

No problem :righton:

7. beatleswho

Well finally i order a Classic Records 140 gram copy of Quadrophenia and a 200 gram Who by Numbers at Acoustic Sounds. Should be here in a week. I hope i have good luck with these pressings.

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

WBNs 200 gram sounds good to my ears.

beatleswho likes this.
  9. beatleswho

Better than the original Uk pressing?

10. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That, I don't know.

11. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

I have Who By Numbers on UK original and Classic 200g.

The Classic is very good. But the UK original is better - more alive, more 'in the room', more 'foot tapping', and more inclined to get you standing up doing windmill air guitar.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like the US TML over The Classic...which sounds good at first, but then starts getting a little grating in the vocals. I don't have the U.K. to compare....it's on my list though.

13. Slick Willie

On Quad, I agree, the US is superior to the Classic, much smoother...the UK TML is at anudder level!!!!!!!!

beatleswho, BiggaWhat and jon9091 like this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How's the vinyl quality of those UK pressings? Quiet...noisy?

15. Slick Willie

Well, too many variables occur with the passage of time to really make a conclusive statement on that....but as usual, the lower pressing numbers of the UK might give it an edge?
    But then my US is very quiet as well....yet I have experienced noisy US as well.
    How it was handled/treated is really the deciding factor.....have to take each copy on it's own merit?

InSitu and katstep like this.
  16. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I'll add my voice to the folks who say the brown label US Track is mighty fine. I've got sundry Quadrophenias, including German and UK. I've also compared the US to the Classic and the US Track definitely had the edge (TML, W5 matrices). The beauty of the US Track is that its cheap and plentiful. I recently acquired a UK Track on a trip to Germany, but have yet to compare it to the US Track.
    This old closed thread has good info on what you're seeking too. See my 2 cents at post 29. Best Who Quadrophenia on vinyl?

beatleswho and Slick Willie like this.
  17. Slick Willie

Look what ya'll made me do....

[​IMG]

18. Slick Willie

I have a tan promo stamped W5, very nice! One side may be a W6?

19. katstep

You are right sir! I just checked and sides 1 and 2 are W6, sides 3 and 4 are W5.

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. aaron25

aaron25 New Member

where to buy vinyl

21. katstep

Ha! I'm currently sorting through mine too! For about 20 minutes I was unable to find my UK pressing, but found a clutch of Who filed with Neil Young, victims of a recent total vinyl refiling. I even texted my buddy who routinely shares vinyl with me and I with him. Found it 2 minutes later. LOL!

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. katstep

I've had pretty good luck with Discogs. Make sure to check the sellers feedback, then ask the seller specific questions - deadwax, is the book there, is it playgraded, etc. Shipping to Canada might be steep though....
    Buy The Who - Quadrophenia (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

23. aaron25

aaron25 New Member

thanks for info thanks:wiggle:

katstep likes this.
  24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Just picked up an "EX" UK Track copy, with booklet, from Australia. Wasn't cheap but was a fair price with shipping included based on what I've seen elsewhere. Can't wait to get it and hear it.

Cassius likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have a UK Track. I probably haven't played it in 3 or 4 yrs (& maybe more), but I don't recall the vinyl being noisy. And this is an album where it would intrude on the listening experience.

jon9091 likes this.