Quality USB Cables. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fletcher Munson, Mar 13, 2023.

1. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Yes to be clear, I’m not including DACs in this statement, since there are many engineering approaches as far as turning digital information into analog, and these devices have an analog stage where noise etc could be a factor. And yes, clocks matter too, I’m really talking about situations where the exact same numbers are delivered in the exact same time, which is perfectly measurable.

2. yomav

yomav Active Member

I'm looking forward to the Apollo Twin X USB's arrival. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy 6ft USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer doesn't have a USB-C port. I've seen a few options on Amazon, but they appear to be of dubious quality. They claim to be USB 3.0 but only offer 5Gbps, while I believe it should be 10Gbps to fully support the Twin X's bandwidth. Your help would be much appreciated!

3. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

This is a price / value beast but I dunno how you can find one in the states plus you ought to get an adapter ‍♂️. It says 20gb/s.
    USB Primus CC

Or you can go with their cheaper models. They r rated 10gb/s. I have tested almost all their cables. Ethernet, usb and their rca on their 'state of art' section simply excell.
    I bet they deliver if you buy from their site.

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

24/192 bit-rates run around 9200 kbps, which basically makes USB 3.0's various bandwidth implementations gross overkill. But it's a standard that increasingly offers something closer and closer to universal connectivity and compatibility. Any bog-plain USB-C/3.0 or USB A-B cable can easily carry the maximum audio bandwidths and bit-rates, and you'll never even come vaguely close to maxing anything out.

Shawn, budgethifiman, Tone? and 8 others like this.
  5. Westly197

Westly197 Well-Known Member

I saw several recommendations for the Original Curious Cable, but was really annoyed they charge so much more if you are out of Australia. The Curious Cable 0.8m AUD price converted to USD is $245.26 in Astralia, but $350 USD if you’re outside, why over $100 difference just based on where you live?

In the end I needed a longer version and got an AudioQuest Carbon 1.5 M open box from a dealer for $149 to try and see how it compares to my numerous brands of computer USB cables. I’m planing to use it between the EverSolo DMP-A6 Streamer and my Anthem STR Preamp. I’ll probably also compare USB to using the Toslink, but the ports are currently in use so I’d prefer to use the USB.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    mikeyt likes this.
  6. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

they're asking about a multitrack ADC though, so actually is a bit BW sensitive.

7. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I'm only seeing usb 2.0 for 6 ft lengths, lots of reputable options in 3 ft lengths though
    Amazon.com

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yup. Multi-track audio. Still a very tiny fraction of 5Gbps even at high res. Keep in mind that even typical home WiFi LAN internet connections manage to reliably hit 500+ Mbps which is far more than enough for several people in a large household to simultaneously stream multiple 4K (UHD at 25-30Mbps per stream) movies (with their embedded multi-channel audio), while several others simultaneously stream Qobuz, while several others browse the web, poke around on YouTube, and so on, all without dropouts or any hit of the bandwidth being used as long as the WiFi router and any wired or wireless network switches are working properly. A 5Gbps local connection via USB provides enough bandwidth for an entire individually mic’ed symphony orchestra plus the video feed of the performance. I think, for the OP’s purposes, his setup is not bandwidth sensitive at all in my experience.

9. fried

fried Forum Resident

Why isn't it possible to block 'staff'?

10. james

james Summon The Queen

My system isn’t resolving enough or my ears aren’t sharp enough but without doing an A/B there was no marked difference with the Supra and generic.

that said I like the way it looks and feels and I’m fine with the cost for those attributes

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

First, I just chose three winners in our give away. If it were you, wouldn't you want to know that your name was selected in our lucky draw? :)

Second, when we have to contact someone for a rules violation, we have to let them know what they did wrong, sometimes discuss the issue with them, etc. Isn't that sort of obvious....??

Shawn, Fireeater and Ham Sandwich like this.
  12. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

... making it an outlier.

Meanwhile just about every other audio product - with only a few rare exceptions - is cheaper by a vast margin in the US than elsewhere?
    Imagine how aggrieved the rest of us ought to feel?

That Curious USB is one of the best cables I've owned period. If I had need of a USB connection within my set-up at the moment I'd still own it.

13. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Unless it is Japanese product, then it is 2x or more expensive in USA then in Japan.

14. Westly197

I’m sure it’s a great cable, but at $469 for a 1.5 meter USB cable, it’s too rich for me. It’s starting to approach the price of the equipment it’s connecting. I think I’d get better results upgrading the power supply or going to the master version with a $69 cable, or even the one it comes with. For my system, no cable merits that much spend no matter how good it is. Perhaps if I had a couple hundred thousand dollar system I wouldn’t flinch at a $470 for a 1.5 meter cable.

15. Old Zorki II

It is a standard logic, but I think an opposite.
    More expensive digital equipment should, at least in theory, be less succceptable to minuscule cable issues.
    So.. like one of my friends said “reach people did not get reach by throwing money away”.

16. Westly197

Lol, yeah… they get rich by taking/spending other people’s money most of the time.
    That cable costs more than any of my phono cartridges (A few list for more, but I found deals). Just a lot of better places to spend it in my opinion. I think the open box $149 Audio Quest Carbon cable will serve me well enough, and that I’ve not left much on the table for the compromise. I think the DAC in my Anthem STR Preamp is pretty decent, but I know there are a lot better out there.

17. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

JimBean likes this.
  18. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

You must've missed the bit where I said...

19. Old Zorki II

Well, ok. All high end products from one country is not “rare exception” in my book, but your point is taken ))

20. Westly197

I have a lot of those cheapo cables - always worked fine for computer stuff, I do plan to compare them to my new AQ Carbon. I used to convince myself there was no difference, and to be honest on that equipment at the time I’m not sure there was a noticeable difference. But since then I’ve found with my better stuff now there is a difference, and often it’s more in the holographic/soundstage area. Once you hear it open up, going back to two dimension flat sound is not appealing. So you are always wanting to see what it takes make it better, and you don’t even understand how your brain is picking it up because you can’t really even hear it, you just experience it.

21. Westly197

I often see price differences between countries and currency’s, but that is not the case I was talking about. Curious Cable is the first company I’ve encountered that charges a different price when you are buying it from the same country in the same currency. I’ve bough my last two phono cartridges from Germany in Euros because they were significantly cheaper than the US price. They didn’t say if you live in Germany it’s 385,71€, but if you live outside Germany we charge 566,62€. The price was the price no matter where you live as long as you buy it from the same place in the same currency. This allowed me to buy a cartridge that retails in the US for $599 USD for $407.72 USD (after the conversion).

The 1.5 meter USB Original Curious Cable is AUD$539 ($341.57 USD) in Australia, but outside the country the converted price is AUD$901.32 ($580.00 USD) for the same cable, purchased from the same company, in the same location.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    Old Zorki II likes this.
  22. yomav

yomav Active Member

I was hoping someone could recommend an entry level Usb cable , need a inexpensive one right now. Just ordered my first Dac ,something I thought I wouldn’t ever be doing as I set my system up for vinyl. I also believe I’ve seen more than once on these forums that the cable between Dac and streamer be at least two meters in length, hoping for clarity on that as well,thx in advance.

23. Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cheap, SKW from Amazon. Expensive Cardas Clear double wire.

Tone? likes this.
  24. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Or just get a blue jeans cable.

you really won’t hear a diff

25. Fireeater

Fireeater Forum Resident

A good and cheap option I’ve used are SAB or CMT. You can order direct or through some part suppliers. Any medical grade USB is typically built to a higher standard than most off the shelf consumer USB cables and will typically run you about $10 depending on length.

I also think the Monoprice Monolith is a great deal.

USB 2.0 Cables

JimBean likes this.