Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Doubt it... lol

Sondek likes this.
  2. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think you're giving the filmmakers too much credit there!

3. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It's like Jack The Giant Slayer and Superman Returns never existed :D

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’m no Queen expert and I don’t know how accurate the movie is, but I saw it Monday night in London and enjoyed it more than I thought I might given the mixed reviews over here (sold out at the show I saw, nonetheless). Good entertainment. And right in my view to start and end with Live Aid, which they (Queen) nailed.

5. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

Most of the inaccuracies make sense from a storytelling perspective; even the big ones like... Rock In Rio 1977!?

The two that bothered me a little were Freddie crowd surfing - the story goes that Rami Malek did it during filming on the spur of the moment and the production team were not impressed for health and safety reasons but they "liked the look" and kept it in.

But even more for me is the throwaway line from Roger that "we haven't performed together for years!" Why did they put that in? I kind of understand in terms of making Live Aid feel like an even bigger success against the odds, but it doesn't even register to most of the people watching, it's just a pointless inaccuracy.

But I did like the film - and I've seen it three times (including the world premiere)!

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'm not drawing pictures......

7. NightGoatToCairo

All I have is my limited imagination as I can't use yours, so...

8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'll leave it there then. Possibly not too digestible for more sensitive senses of humour.......

9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Man this forum needs to lighten up! Of course it was inaccurate. It's Hollywood for Christ's sake.
    I thought the movie was great. My wife liked it too. It's rock and roll for 2 hours. What's not to like? And when we got home I got to spin my vinyl copies of "New of the World" and II...with my wife in the room!! That would have never happened if we hadn't watched the movie!

I would also like to prance around my next party and call everyone "darlings". Homophobes be damned!

And it also game me an excuse to buy more Queen records as I've never really delved into the catalogue and really only know I and II well. And I love both those records. I will buy more of them, but not until I spin the Kinks Mono box one more time.

10. Bananas&blow

*Spoiler alert* One quibble I do have with the film, is March of the Black Queen is not in the movie. Song fricken rocks.

11. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Too Hallmark for my liking. Felt like parody, but I guess most (rock) bios come across like that to me.

12. Bananas&blow

For sure. Just listen to the music and enjoy. If you want all the facts read a biography. I was impressed that the Live Aid seen was as long as it was. I thought they were going to just cut a quick montage and be done with it. But they did a great job of showing a performance. As it started I wanted them to show the whole 20 minutes.

bever70 likes this.
  13. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

the full set is to be included on the blu ray release.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

That's why I saw it before the reviews, some people just don't want to be entertained.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'll give you your first point, the second one is crap! I've seen Wayne Coyne crowdsurf in a zorb, I've seen Hutchence crowdsurf, Nick Cave, Frank Carter, Iggy Pop...some of the finest frontmen ever!

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I admitted I was talking crap earlier with Iggy in mind. I'm sorry to say I hate The Flaming Lips though!

17. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry.

Wayne Coyne zorbing over the crowd is still a sight to see, even if you don't like them.

Janelle Monae crowdsurfs then plonks herself in the middle of the crowd to sing.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I once saw Wayne Coyne surfing over the crowd in a giant transparent ball singing War Pigs. That was good. That from Janelle Monae sounds great too.

It obviously can be done well. I just associated it with poor punk and indie bands to be honest.

gary191265 likes this.
  19. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

And, as usual, they used the 'oxyde went off the tape' anecdote for Bohemian, rather than Black Queen.

20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Really? Im sure I heard Brian say that happened for Bo Rhap. Perhaps on the Inside the Rhapsody doco. Will have to check it out and see if I can find the quote. Perhaps its true of both?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

A filmed interview of the NOTW era,I think, has Roger telling this anecdote about Black Queen.

22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

hehe well considering the number of overdubs on both I wouldn't be surprised. I will see if I can find the footage of Brian talking about it for Bo Rhap tho.

23. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

It adds to the excitement of the show and shows a trust with his audience.
    Here he is 2 years ago in his 60s .

24. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Even though not many Brazilian fans agree with my, my opinion is that they intended to show Queen's first performance in Brazil, which took place in 1981 to the largest paying audience so far for one group (this is mentioned in several rock encyclopedias and Queen books). There is no mention of Rock in Rio in the movie, but there is a mention of the "largest paying audience". So I guess that was the idea. But, like many other liberties they took with history, this particular concert was changed from São Paulo (Morumbi Stadium) to Rio.

The movie is actually "inspired" by the Freddie Mercury story, but not an accurate depiction by any means.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. NightGoatToCairo

Did anyone make a mental note of what other Queen or related songs are in the movie but not included on the soundtrack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.