Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Depends on how you define dance music.
    I count 4 funk tracks, 3 nu waveish tracks, ballad, power ballad, and a couple rockers.

I wonder if they would have made an album like this if, Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    hadn't been massive world wide hits.

They expanded the musical palette a bit on The Game (rockabilly/funk experiments) and were handsomely rewarded.
    Doubling down on the unfamilar cost them with Hot Space.
    Its telling that Fred in concert would ask the audience to keep an open mind, teling them a little dance music wouldnt hurt them, when playing songs from the record.

Hot Space was simply an album that was too far astray from a fan base they had built through mainly through FM radio and rock touring.
    And the US Top 40/r&b stations that had propelled the 2 massive Game singles, pretty much completely ignored this new album.
    I think I heard Calling All Girls once on the local FM rock station.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  2. manco

manco Forum Resident

TBH, I really wish Queen was put to bed for 20 years.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Why? Because you don't like Brian and Roger doing Queen+ activities / still touring? Or because you don't like Queen at all (and don't like hearing their music)?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They weren't just dance songs. They were s--t dance songs.

That was the big problem.

5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't think they were. At least, aside from Body Language - I didn't like that.

Staying Power, in particular, was pretty damn good live.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The soundtrack is pretty poorly mixed IMO. The movie mix of WWRY suddenly cuts to a live version, the fades on the live tracks are 60's like (fade out in 2 seconds) etc. Fat Bottomed Girls from Paris rocks though. Apparently there will be a Live Killers boxset in 2019!

Still nice to hear some "new" music though. I wish they'd do more recordings like Doing All Right. Brian and Roger sound quite good, as does Tim. Too bad they had to edit in a part of the original 1969 recording.

7. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

A full Smile album of some kind, with new or reworked material, might be nice.

8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Wait, what?

Matthew Tate, Efus, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Where'd you hear that?

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  10. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Hot Space is a disgustingly bad album and Freddie and John were amongst the people responsible.

noahjld likes this.
  11. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

After hearing the live versions of Staying Power and Back Chat from the Bowl, I wish that Queen had taken the same route with the studio versions of those songs. The live versions do a great job of bringing the band's rock side to them, in my opinion.

If true, I can't wait. A revisit and remix of the Live Killers material is long overdue. I'd also wouldn't mind seeing them do more remixes like the HD mix they did a few years ago of Teo Toriatte. You know, nothing dramatic. Just going back to the multitracks and creating a clearer mix.

12. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Always thought hot space was killed by releasing Body Language as the first single ( under pressure was released as a stand alone single originally around the release of greatest hits) , which completely killed the perception of the album. It’s a trick that U2 also managed to pull off with releasing “boots” ahead of no line on the horizon many years later .
    Body language as an album track isn’t a problem, as a lead single it’s a disaster

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

if this new soundtrack turns new people into queen fans then its a good thing !

blind_melon1, tmtomh, Dave and 7 others like this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They loved Body Language in Canada. It got to no. 3 there! :yikes:

15. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Must have been the Mounties buying it according to monty python rules

16. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Apparently Greg Brooks confirmed it at the latest Queen Fanclub Convetion which was earlier this month.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's exactly what I was thinking, too! Hoping for an expanded Live Killers set!

The re-recording of 'Doing All Right' is nice though I noticed some parts are slightly imperfect. Somewhere in the middle the 'tape speed' is different, making the whole track out of tune in times.
    Also, it sounds like they even used guitar parts from the Queen album version.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Yep - there's multiple uses of original tracks for the re-recording including Tim's vocal at one point.

It's absolutely DREADFUL and just smacks of doing something for the sake of it as opposed to there being any real creative nous behind it. I can't believe that the three of them were ACTUALLY in the studio at one time, together, and couldn't come up with something better than this.

Sadly, yet another piece of revisionist work that is a decent indication of just how cringe inducing this film is actually going to be IMVHO.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I doubt Roger was in the studio with Tim and Brian. Wouldn't be surprised if he just recorded his vocals at his home studio and e-mailed them to Brian.

andrewskyDE and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

About the out-of-sync stuff on Doing All Right - the same issue appeared IMO on the Queen version of TMBMTLTT with Jackson. Horrible production, fan-mix quality. Remember, this is the band who created You Don't Fool Me out of some leftover scraps of vocals. Who created Let Me Live out of 1 verse and 1 chorus. I get the feeling stuff like this is literally being done in a day or so and that's it. Badgers need to be saved, boats need to be sailed.

21. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

We have good taste unlike our neighbours.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I don't wish to derail the movie soundtrack thread, but... exactly this... :laughup:

My version of Hot Space (and I haven't listened to the original running order in years) goes like this:

Queen - Hot Rockin' Space: 39.30 minutes

Side A.
    1. Action This Day
    2. Calling All Girls
    3. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
    4. Cool Cat
    5. Put Out The Fire​

Side B.
    1. I Go Crazy
    2. Dancer
    3. Life is Real (Song For Lennon)
    4. Back Chat
    5. Under Pressure​

Drop the two worst disco tracks, move the other two into the middle(-ish) of each side so that they are "covered" by rock numbers, and add "I Go Crazy"... :)

Frankly I now love this album, and play it often :wiggle:

23. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I love HOT SPACE. One of the best Freddie's vocal harmonies in there.

Carlox, juanmanuel, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Does the live segment from WWRY sound like a '79 performance to you?

I also thought Doing All Right had some of it's original recording included. Has this been confirmed?

25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Harsh! They went on to make a lot worse :D

midniteinsanjuan and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.