Queen (first album) poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

It's not one of my most played albums.
    And I don't have a physical copy yet

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's worth getting one, I can understand why people might not like it much after a couple of plays, but it rewards being played a few times. I've been listening to it for about 37 years and aren't tired of any of it. It still gets played a few times each year, along with Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and Jazz.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Then Queen II ends with "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside" and Sheer Heart Attack starts with someone whistling it.

Is there anything that sums up the greatness of heavy metal than Maidenpriest? Great name! :righton:

Jarleboy and Jamsterdammer like this.
  4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Average to good !

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

to bloody great! :)

Terry, Chip Monk and Ted Sallis like this.
  6. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

love it. Big fan and will listen to pretty much any one of their albums.
    But I think like Aerosmith, their first 4 albums are all home runs.

7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Dont confuse it with Queen II :rolleyes:

Ted Sallis likes this.
  8. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Big, big fan of their first album. One of my most played by the group. Before I started buying Queen CD's myself, my younger brother had only a few lying around. One was A Night at the Opera and another was this, the debut. I think my dad had Innuendo and Greatest Hits. But until I started buying CD's on my own frequently (at age 15), at the age of 13-14 when I first really got into music it was very much Queen's debut album rather than A Night at the Opera I took to. And I kept revisiting it.

The Night Comes Down is one of my favourite songs of theirs. Keep Yourself Alive is a rock solid start to a legendary career. Great King Rat, Liar and My Fairy King are equally ambitious, yet alive, rocking, vicious. I suppose this is why this part of their career is tough to classify. It's not balls-out rock enough to be glam rock, yet too sexy to be progressive rock. There is definitely something in the water. I gave it 5/5. In a way there is no naff track on the album, as the weakest ones are both less than two minutes long, and as such they do not overstay their welcome.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bloody great too. I don't think the debut is all that far behind though. At least half of it is as good. The production just isn't so over the top, but it's good to have an almost live sounding Queen studio album before all that magnificent excess came in.

Jarleboy and Glenn coates like this.
  10. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

5/5 - I'd have given it that score solely on the strength of Roger's drum solo in Keep Yourself Alive!

Jarleboy, KAJ1971 and Man at C&A like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Very good. Promising. Not as good as the next four. But very good. If I were ranking with half stars:

Debut 3.5*
    II: 5*
    Sheer Heart Attack: 4*
    Night at the Opera: 5*
    Day at the Races: 4*

After that, nothing over 3.5*, and 3.5* is probably generous.

Rufus rag likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have the original 45 of Keep Yourself Alive. I've only just remembered that!

Bulsara and shug4476 like this.
  13. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

5/5 - A very impressive debut. Innovative - as stated by bassist John Deacon himself - and featuring quite a bit of variety. Even more impressive when one considers the constraints under which the album was made, i.e. having to record when the studio wasn't booked/occupied by the 'major artists', which often meant late at night/overnight.

Ted

14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

1. yes bloody marvelous :righton:

2. Cheers I have been here for a good number of years, too many to count so was lucky choosing a name that represented my music :cheers:

15. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I agree this album is full of great songs..............I bought this Queen album in 1973 when it was released after hearing the Philly FM radio station playing" Liar" & "Keep Yourself Alive". The first few weeks I played it all the time and liked all the songs on it, I couldn't get enough of Liar, Great King Rat, Doing Alright, My Fairy King & the rest. Then I couldn't wait for the next album to come out which of course was Queen II. Now all these years later I'm still listening to both of these albums that for all these years have given me so much enjoyment and for many years Queen II was my favorite but these days I find myself playing the first Queen album on a regular basis and it is one of my most listened to records.

I bought the next two albums........but it just wasn't the same for me although I do still play Sheer Heart Attack, just not nearly as as much as the first & second albums.

I was also fortunate to see Queen twice in concert during this era when the setlist was riddled with these songs.

16. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

An EASY 5/5 for me. One of the greatest debuts. I still remember my best friend playing it for me after he picked it up Fall 1973. Next up was Queen II in 1974 when it was released.

Chip Monk, arcamsono and Glenn coates like this.
  17. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Loved it. A staple in the 70' saw them in the twin cities. Civic center theater. A great place for a show.

18. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Yes it does.
    Can anyone say which cd has best sound?

19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Good album, don’t see the need to diss 80’s Queen as people do it now all the time.

KAJ1971, Jarleboy and Neonbeam like this.
  20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am not a huge Queen fan but their first album is my favorite.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Side one is incredible from start to finish. After Liar and The Night Comes Down side two collapses in a heap.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

An excellent album, but not in my top pantheon of favorite Queen albums.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Guilty here too.

William Gladstone likes this.
  24. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

5/5 - I love every song, even the Seven Seas outro. They rocked hard on this album. I like the rawness of the production (or maybe it's the recording) as well - kind've fits with a debut, that gets gradually polished over the next three albums.

Glenn coates likes this.
  25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I didn’t own any Queen albums for a long time, but then I ended up buying all of their studio albums in three different box sets. For me, the first box set is the best one with Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races and News of the World. I think creatively they kind of bottomed out with the rest of their output, although there’s still some noteworthy material on all of their albums beyond News of the World.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.