Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

This is intriguing, but since the vinyl is being mastered from digitally restored 24/96 transfers from the analog tapes (i.e., not pure analog), I'd almost prefer a 24/96 digital release of these transfers.

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

3. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Digital or not, if Optimal can hold the promise of consistent color-sound-press-quality, this will easely be the vinyl-box of the year.

mr.dave and intv7 like this.
  4. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I beleive the deck has to be purchased separately. Not sure if you actually meant that it comes in the box.

I really don't see it as collector bait. No one is going to buy an 18-LP boxed set for that one difference. Say what you want, but everything about this box screams a Queen fan's dream. Personally, I like the 2-disc Innuendo, because the title track is one of my favorites, and I want to hear it it full detail.

The one potential flaw, as pointed out, was the pre-master transfer to hi-res digital at just 24/96. Surely they could have done better, but I doubt the end product would suffer. Personally, I would like to see bands doing this to include the hi-res files with the package. Sure, we can all do needle-drops, but would a USB drive cost much more to include?

Beatles Fan 4 Life likes this.
  5. Marshman96

Marshman96 Forum Resident

Innuendo on 2 LP's heres hoping for an individual release.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Marshman96

7. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I only have a Queen Greatest Hits compilation on CD so I am thinking of getting this so I can truly appreciate the genius of the band.

Beatles Fan 4 Life and FLF like this.
  8. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

If you will closely to the video advert you will notice the "-13-" track on the fourth side of MIH.
    The bad thing they've changed the track sequence for 'Innuendo' even for 2LPs version....

SIDE A
    1 Innuendo
    2 I'm Going Slightly Mad
    3 Headlong

SIDE B

1 These Are The Days Of Our Lives
    2 Don't Try So Hard
    3 Ride The Wild Wind

SIDE C

1 All God's People
    2 I Can't Live With You
    3 Delilah

SIDE D

1 The Hitman
    2 Bijou
    3 The Show Must Go On

The difference in running time of the tracks is 15 seconds. Is that really useful ?

BTW, I noticed reworked design for some albums:

1) 'Queen' - now it features inner sleeve with lyrics)
    2) 'Queen II' - now the 'Black Side' inner sleeve is black. Hope it remains the same for 1LP individual version.
    3) 'New Of The World' - No hole in the middle of inner sleeve. Now it features robot head instead.
    4) Lyrics for 'Jazz' now printed on the flip side of the poster.
    5) 'The Works' - new black/gold label(s) on vinyl instead of original red/gold.
    5) 'Innuendo' - gatefold with not used before Grandville illustrations. Band photo now in full 12" size of inner sleeve.
    6) 'Made In Heaven' - Original CD 'sunrise' artwork used instead of original LP 'sunset' artwork.

Also that's great they produced the Hardback book. Lennon Box has only slipcase for example.

The weakest thing that QPL didn't bother to produce special 'non-album tracks' compilation as it was with Complete Works set in 1985.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. Marshman96

I'll take the assorted track listing for the extra 5 minutes that was cut from the original LP

10. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

As someone who started off that same way when my sister got the hits collection LP from Columbia House in the 80s, let me assure you that you will not be disappointed. They are a band whose best songs were not the biggest hits, and considering how good their hits were, that is saying something. But also know that they changed a lot stylistically (which may or may not be obvious depending which Hits CD you have) and you may feel their catalog has some lower points that you just can't get into. For me, that is the first two albums - which most people would cry heresy for me admitting. For others, it is the Hot Space album and those on each side of it. And as one poster indicated here, it is the last two albums, when Freddie's health was failing.

My biggest regret was not buying more sooner. I bought Jazz soon after hearing my sister's LP, then A Kind of Magic after seeing Highlander. Then... nothing. For decades. Then, about ten years ago, I got A Night at the Opera, and realized what a fool I had been to not dive deeper. That album is still my favorite, but there are others that come so close, it isn't fair. But there is something worthwhile on every album, and more than half of this set are spectacular works of art. A Night at The Opera, Jazz, and The Works are probably my favorites, but the whole set is worth the price of admission, even at ~$30 a pop (a price we will likely see discounted before release).

11. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Also, I should ad that with the exception of I Want It All, the album versions of their singles were generally better. I prefer the radio edit of that one though.

12. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Count me in for MIH and 2 disc edition of Innuendo as ibhave the terrible sounding Hollywood Records reissue. Everything else i have in great shape.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That song rules, but it's not edited on the single-LP version. Innuendo has some of my favorite Queen tracks of all time, and also some of the most filler-y filler tracks they ever did (even including Hot Space), so the 'edited' version of the LP never bothered me, I actually think it might help a tiny bit. They left all the best tunes virtually untouched. 52 minutes split over 4 sides is going to be a tough sell to me...it's such a dense, overproduced album (like every Queen album) that I think the benefits some albums get from that sort of thing would be pretty minor on this one. But that's jut me.

If they're good I'll probably grab The Miracle though...I've never been able to find original copies of anything after A Kind Of Magic.

14. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I wasn't trying to suggest that it was. I just don't want them to sacrifice quality for the sake of squeezing it on two sides. And the only song I personally would consider filler is Delilah. The rest of the album is solid IMO. But that's why I'll be buying the set and you - from the sound of it - will not. :)

mr.dave, DennisJordan and Szeppelin75 like this.
  15. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Personally, I like an album to be complete. That's the enjoyment of music - take the whole lot filler and all; but that's just me.

stodgers and Szeppelin75 like this.
  16. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I found my copy of The Miracle over in Barcelona and Innuendo is the horrible Hollywood Records reissue.

17. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

£285 for the vinyl box and £324 for the Rega turntable (at least where I ordered mine from) :) I have a base level Project TT at present that I'm really happy with but as a life long Queen fan, I just couldn't resist it. Only 400 for the UK market apparently.

I can't decide whether or not to push the button on the vinyl with QOL. They charge up front for pre-orders and were way more expensive than some sites for the Rainbow box. That said, I am assuming that pre-orders will soon show up on other retail sites (?).

Captain Groovy likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Prolly not. Which, considering Queen, on many days, is legitimately my favorite band, kind of bums me out. Might get a few individual titles if the reviews come in with the same enthusiasm as the Beatles mono or Springsteen LP boxes, but the price would have to be pretty decent, and not Kiss reissue-like.

19. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

This is pricey but I have to have this box. Pre-ordered. Going to be amazing. Too bad they couldn't use an all analog process though but completely understandable.

Phaneronic likes this.
  20. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

This sounds pretty great, but it just makes me wonder as to why they released those 2010 CD in such atrocious mastering, yet here they're harping on about sound quality.

21. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I would guess one situation was the label pushing it, and the other the band.

I have little doubt there will be a holiday discount price somewhere. I bought the Beatles box off Popmarket, and they gave a pretty good discount at the time.

22. Zephead2112

This is my dilemma; I have my chosen Queen albums on vinyl from the last set of re-issues 7 or 8 years ago and they sound beautiful. I also have it on extremely good authority that those were analogue all the way. But the box, the box....

Sleepless night ahead (OK it's not that bad) but I just can't decide.

23. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

You got until September to think about it :) I haven't bought any Queen albums yet so I'll go for it.

Want to pre-order via Amazon U.K though. Don't have the cash on hand right now, Amazon U.K charges when it ships. Gives you time to save up.

24. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

They master the entire back catalogue for vinyl and then they go and press it on ****ing coloured vinyl. Clearly they've chosen gimmickery over quality. :(

25. Zephead2112

Although you can purchase them individually on black vinyl. Were you to buy the complete set though it would cost around £60 more than the box (and of course, you get no box & no book).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.