Queen's Gambit on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Not really. Have you read IMDB's description? "A young woman moves to 17th century Amsterdam and hires a mysterious local miniaturist to furnish the dollhouse she received from her merchant husband as present, but the lifelike miniatures somehow start eerily foreshadowing her fate."

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

One of the finest series this year. Nice elements of fairytale, the styling and music of the '60s and loads of chess! A believable story and I think it's a nice portrait of the popularity of chess in that era.
    And the chess-matches are nicely filmed; they look exciting!

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes, the pill popping subplot was a bit ridiculous.

Chris DeVoe, Whizz Kid and unclefred like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Plus if she took that many when she was trying to steal the big glass container as it shows she did, she would have died.

Rufus McDufus and Spencer R like this.
  5. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

One episode left. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but I keep hoping a cat will come along and lick off Benny's moustache and chin whiskers. (Can't really call it a beard...)

6. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Loved this series, and Anya Taylor-Joy is divine.

7. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Truly outstanding. Loved it.

Head and shoulders above most of the stuff offered by Netflix.

Let’s hope they keep the bar this high in the future.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Just binged it over the last two days and loved it. Captivating and beautiful looking show.

ex_mixer likes this.
  9. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Loved it! Some amazing sets!

Gardo likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree that the set design and costumes were top notch.

trumpet sounds and Gardo like this.
  11. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I loved it. Very well done.

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I disagree here.

There are many people with talents who believe that their use of substances is a necessary component of that talent. It is only those who quit who realize that the substances are not necessary.

Substances can short-circuit the brain to reveal abilities that a person may not be aware they have otherwise. There are healthier ways to harness these abilities, which the season finale hints at.

The drug use is integral to the character and plot.

13. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this, even if I couldn’t quite shake the suspicion it was just a beautifully shot and sensitively acted redux of the first 2 Rocky films. My wife, who managed to tolerate The Haunting Of Bly Manor, bailed after 2 episodes.

Rufus McDufus and dlokazip like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

While I get that many chess prodigies, including Bobby Fischer, on whom the character of Beth was at least partly based, are odd ducks, and that Beth may well have believed that the pills helped her, pretty clearly no one who popped pills, drank, and sabotaged herself and her mind to the degree that she did in this series could have achieved the success she achieved.

Just as Charlie Parker was a great musician despite his heroin addiction, not because of it, Beth’s pill habit didn’t make her great at chess. She was great at chess despite her pill habit, and the theory that the pills unlocked her ability makes for a pretty fairy tale, but a fairy tale all the same.

unclefred and Dahabenzapple like this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Baz Luhrmann's "Australia". As epic as it gets, and stunningly shot.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't think that the movie was suggesting that the tranquilizers and booze helped Beth. BETH thought they were necessary. Her perception was not reality. And she was so good that she could win despite the drugs/booze most of the time. But she played her most difficult match sober, and that was important.

Chris DeVoe, jpbarn, blivet and 5 others like this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

In addition, the tranquilizers likely removed anxiety and "quieted" her mind, allowing her to focus. This was what allowed her to visualize the moves as a child. Given that it was formative, she did not know it was unnecessary or that she could find alternate methods to get into a flow state.

There was only one instance in the show where she played hung over. The most self-destructive periods were during her off times. One does not lose superlative abilities just because they go on week-long benders. Not when they are that young, anyway.

Gardo likes this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

OMG, I was SO confused, because I thought you were answering my question of what epic movie are the orphans watching in Queen's! I liked Australia, maybe watch it again, thanks for the reminder. Maybe time for Crocodile Dundee again as well.

19. The Robe (1953) noticed Jean Simmons and Richard Burton

Also really enjoying this show

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    head_unit likes this.
  20. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Superb series, don't need any more, it works as a whole story. I was left wanting more but it was a satisfying ending, and you think back to a conversation mid-way in the series that is way too spoilery to get into. The only thing I would potentially have liked to see is if the character was able to reconnect with the characters seen in flashback, one in particular that was shown several times in profile and we don't know what happened to. I thought that was a mystery that would be resolved as the main character recalled more about the circumstances she was living in as a young child. I realise this may seem vague to anyone who has not seen the series!

Gardo likes this.
  21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Oops, sorry for confusion. I'm not sure (it was only on for a minute) but I think the movie the girls at the school were watching was The Robe.

head_unit likes this.
  22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hope this eventually ends up on Blu-ray. Looking around, I see only dodgy "promotional" copies I suspect are bootlegs.

Beautifully shot, but at times due to the vagaries of the web I end up with "only" DVD resolution.

23. Dok

Dok Senior Member

24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agree with the Emma Stone comparison - those eyes!!!

Also really liked the usage of music in this series. Some uncommon choices.

Interesting how they almost completely avoided the “news” of the 60s - no series does that! Early on you see mags w/JFK on the cover and I thought, here comes Nov 22. I even did a freeze frame on the envelope with $5 from the janitor and saw it was Oct 63 and thought it was imminent. But not even mentioned. A refreshing storytelling choice.

25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Watched it all from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon. I'm stunned and now watching it all again!

Spoiler alert: I was whooping with joy when Jolene showed up at the end of episode six... :laugh:

Joshua Tree, ex_mixer and wolfram like this.