Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I think most of us here care more about how it sounds! Got a review?

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

there are plenty of reviews in the preceding 10 pages of this thread.

3. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Still plenty of copies of Rated R at my local record store.
    Still on the fence whether to get this one. I already have the optimal pressing and reports on the difference between that one and the new edition are not, well, convincing. For lack of a better word.

ODShowtime and Rockin' Robby like this.
  4. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Yep, definitely some conflicting reviews.

Beaker73 likes this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I almost picked up Rated R locally but was swayed in a different direction that day. Grateful Dead white label promos don't grow on trees!

I agree with others above, the earlier good pressing is really, really good. One of my favorite hard rock records.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  6. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Playing for the 1st time myself.......best I've ever heard it sound. I was prepared for disappointment .

7. AKdot

AKdot Well-Known Member

To be fair to VMP they finally got back to me and offered a full refund. Happy-ish ending.

8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

That seam split is rough. Glad you got your $$ back. Hopefully it's just an isolated case. I got mine on Thursday and it was flawless.

9. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

My VMP copy has very similar seam split issues. I asked if they would send replacement sleeves. After a bit of confusion they are sending me the whole package again with Decembers shipment.

10. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

SFTD and Rated R finally arrived! So far SFTD is pretty awesome, great pressing from Pallas. So nice to finally have this on vinyl.

mikeburns and ODShowtime like this.
  11. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Have anybody got the LTP and EV reissues?

12. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I think those both come out in a couple days, December 20th.

andres lira and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Finally got my Rated R--very solid pressing, sounds and looks great. Nice surprise that they included "Ode To Clarissa" at the end, didn't know that was the case.

Going to have to grab Songs For The Deaf for sure now.

BDC, jimhb and DrStroganoff like this.
  14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I really like the way Rated R sounds.

Henrik Jutbring, BDC and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

Got my copy of LTP already on Monday this week locally...probably released early by mistake by my local dealer?

Very clean vinyl, beautifully pressed at Pallas & BG in the matrix. I got a very quick chance to sample A side this morning before work and I thought it sounded BEEFY in the best possible way :)

16. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Yup, just got my copy of Era Vulgaris now. Great pressing! Quiet and flat with BG in the wax and pressed at Pallas. Sounds great though may be a little compressed on a single LP, but much better than the previous version. They have done a great job on all these reissues, now to find Rated R!

DrStroganoff likes this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sure wish they'd reissue the debut instead of EV, the one QOTSA album I don't like.
    From shipping my Rated R has a small crease on one side, but the record plays and sounds good.
    I''m now waiting on LTP.

I never heard anything really good about the vinyl of Villains or Clockwork. It would be nice to get "audiophile" pressings of those.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  18. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

The debut WAS reissued in 2010 and a reprint was released in 2011. They were cut by Chris Bellman (or his assistant) as indicated by the “!” in the deadwax. It sounds great and is a quality pressing. Unless you mean you think they should reissue it a second time.
    Like Clockwork sounds fine on vinyl to me. 45 rpm, so about as audiophile as we’re likely to get. The only problem was they’re cursed with some ticks and pops. I have the Deluxe, Indie Store exclusive (blue cover) and the Record Store Day Black Friday black cover. They all exhibit a similar amount of noise.
    I haven’t heard Villains on vinyl. I don’t like that album at all. :realmad:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I was just reading about Clockwork vinyl in another thread, apparently I was mistaken on that one. It was Villains vinyl that I read bad about, and assumed Clockwork was bad too. Good reviews here compelled me to order it.

I'll keep an eye out for that debut, and a decent price..
    I do like Villains, but the CD mastering is atrocious.

dconsmack likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

At the moment the debut is oop again so a reissue would be overdue. Concerning the sound I thought the reissue sounded "great" as well. Until I got an original and realised that the new version didn't sound as good. I also wasn't a fan of the artwork. Considering the prices the Man's Ruin original commands, the reissue is better than nothing. But not worth paying $50+.

21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I was just looking around and there are new copy's out there for a hair under 40$. Frankly I want it but won't pay over 30$ with tax and shipped. I don't want it that bad.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

My copy of Like Clockwork is spectacular. I think it is the best of all the Queens albums in terms of audiophile descriptors. My copy is pretty quiet as well with very few ticks or pops. Villains didn't hold a candle to it in those terms. I also personally think Villains it is their poorest album. Era Vulgaris is an excellent album and has only ever had that odd ball 3 x 10 inch on LP. As far as I am concerned it and Songs For The Deaf were the most in need of reissue and we got them done very well indeed.

discodaddy likes this.
  23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I have never liked EV, but I might revisit it. I like Villian's pretty well, just wish it was mastered better.

24. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I’ve never heard the original vinyl but I do have a red bootleg of it. The original CD and the remastered CD from 2010 are distinctly different approaches to how that album was mastered. The reissue vinyl shares a similar (or identical) mastering approach to the reissue CD. Since they’re different I kind of consider comparing it to an original as apples to oranges. However, comparing it to the reissue CD, I think it’s an excellent representation of the remastering job they did at the time.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How is comparing two versions of the same album "apples to oranges"? :confused:
    Be that as it may, I felt the remaster didn't do the album justice so I sold the reissue. And was amazed how much I actually got for it. 30% of what I paid for the Man's Ruin pressing. Which is not too bad.

What do you mean with "red bootleg" btw? Are you talking about a counterfeit?

kannibal likes this.