Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

I think the answer for this particular questions should be "does it matter?" :D

2. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Very good! Dead silent.

3. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

This is the best I've heard this album sound.

chrischerm and jimhb like this.
  4. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I have the - supposedly - "good" one - and it sounds better than the CD, but it's not an audiophile classic. It has the "all 0000's" catalog number, no bar code (but an empty white box), the slogan in tiny print on the back and the (apparently) correct deadwax info. It's a worthwhile improvement: I hope the re-issue sounds better. I think that the record should be more dynamic. It's one of my all-time favorites.

5. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I have the good one ,too. And before that I had the bad one. Which wasn’t all that bad, just very low in volume, so you have to crank it a lot to get any impact. But I digress.
    They really should cut Rated R to three or four sides. the sides are very crammed and that doens’t help the sound quality. Which is a shame, cause it’s my favourite qotsa album by far, and I would love to hear it in the best possible way.

Preston likes this.
  6. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

I sent a PM to him, but he may not respond to them. Maybe a tag here will do the trick and keep things public - @Chris B

I have found other releases with this "!" etching - and they all seem like they could come from someone at Bernie Grundman Mastering

Puscifer - All Re-Mixed Up
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
    Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind

It could also be that they are totally unrelated "!" etchings, too.

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I've definitely seen that marker before, and I have two of the records you've listed above. Both sound great. I have not been able to listen to SFTD properly yet but with the Steelers on TV tonight it's going down.

I'm not complaining yet, but I feel like there's something going on here. It might be time to ask VMP why they advertised this as a CB joint and evidence is pointing to that not being the case. Of all the reissues going on, this one deserved the white glove treatment.

LeeVing likes this.
  8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I got a notification that my SFTD was delivered today - I should have time to give it a good listen-to tonight.

LeeVing likes this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No, evidence is not pointing toward that not being the case. What we have here is a handful of people freaking out because they don't see CB in the deadwax, while everything else about this release - the web page, the hype sticker - clearly says CHRIS BELLMAN. Sometimes, for whatever reason, mastering engineers don't put their initials in deadwax lacquers.

10. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

I listened to the VMP SFTD and thought it sounded great. Not sure how it compares to any other previous issue though.
    Mine came perfectly pressed, flat, centered, no surface noise... this is an upgrade for me!

jimhb likes this.
  11. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm not freaking out about anything dude. I expected to see his initials on the record and they aren't there. Its not a complain it's a comment.

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I agree completely. This is my favorite QotSA album as well. I'd like to see a 2LP 45RPM set!

Beaker73 likes this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

After listening to the record last night, I no longer care who's initials are on it. Sounds great!

chrischerm and jimhb like this.
  14. dorium_tres

dorium_tres Forum Resident

Anyone notice that the drums are completely buried in the mix of Song For the Dead? Like I can barely hear them when it’s cranked and my EQ is flat. The drums in the rest of the album are fine and present but this track they’re barely audible. I’ve A/B’d with my CD and a bootleg and the drums are super upfront and present with the rest of the band. They finally come in towards the end but that’s about it.

15. punchy

punchy Active Member

I just got my copy and that’s definitely not a problem. The only odd thing I noticed about the drums is that on some songs they’re panned more to the left channel, and on most songs for some reason there’s one cymbal (splash maybe?) that’s panned hard right. I haven’t listened to the CD in a while, but I can’t imagine this being a specific issue with this pressing. Overall though I’d say the release sounds fantastic.

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I did notice drums hanging out in the left channel on Songs for the Dead. It stuck out for some reason.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So we still dont know who mastered these for certain?

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I haven't found an answer yet.

19. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I’m very happy with the VMP reissue of SFTD. I’ve never heard an original vinyl copy, but have played the CD to death. The VMP sounds better to my ears, has more detail and separation of instruments. To me it is a cleaner sound. This album was in constant rotation in my car in my college years so I am used to that loud and compressed sound from the CD, as that was the only option to hear the album. Listening to the VMP at times made me miss that CD sound. Weird how that works.

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

One of the songs on the new VMP SFTD now sounds more like a track from Like Clockwork to me. This is because the guitar tones are now more clear and you hear more compared to the CD. Pretty awesome but I forget which track now.

21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The sticker on the plastic-wrap for SFTD says mastered by Chris Bellman, with no ambiguity.
    I don't know why people here can't accept that as an answer.

22. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

On the CD panning is as described by @punchy: drums are panned hard left in the main part of the song. Only a tambourine is panned right. Except for the intro and the end part where drums are mixed on both stereo channels.

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

The reason I don't accept it is because I've never seen a record he mastered without his initials. Can you give me one example of a record he is known to have mastered but didn't initial? I'm not being snarky; I don't know of any examples. I have dozens and dozens of examples of his "CB" on records he worked on.

If anyone knows of any it would help assuage the reasonable doubt I have right now.

mpayan likes this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

You're trying to prove a negative.

It's far, FAR more likely he pressed these as that's exactly what the marketing materials have stated.
    On VMP's own site, it says in no uncertain terms, "pressed at Pallas from new lacquers cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering".

In light of this, I think the lack of initials is meaningless.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded