Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Question about professional color calibration on a monitor for Adobe Photoshop or Premiere editing..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Drew, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

Or is it even necessary? Back in the days of picture tube monitors I used to see hardware you can buy to do it yourself. Does something like this exist anymore? Is it necessary?

I watch videos of photographers and videographers on Youtube and they're using any old laptop or macbook and never talk about color calibration. Am I fretting for no reason?

Thanks for any help.

2. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

I think monitors and photo/video sensors are much more "accurate" now than they used to be, so semi-pro types may care less than before. But calibration would still be best for professional commercial uses. And separates the pros from not-pro.
    Here's the least expensive model of the Spyder calibration line, $170, this would almost instantly prepare a color model calibration file for Windows or Mac.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456247-REG/datacolor_sxp100_spyder_x_pro_colorimeter.html

Brodnation and JoeOnWheels like this.
  3. eeglug

eeglug Forum Resident

I have worked off and on in 3D visualization and delivering renderings to clients with accurate color is an important aspect of that business. If a client's product has a specific color finish to it you can bet they want that color to look accurate. Unfortunately, while my monitor is calibrated my clients (who are art directors themselves) are often using crappy uncalibrated monitors, making the review process problematic. Often the renderings were destined for printed matter and our clients would just fudge the colors at the printing stage (which I was not a part of).

I create my own handmade art and while I try to have my scans look accurate on my computers, it can be shocking to see the color and value shifts when looking at the same image file on different displays.

I've used one other calibration system which I've forgotten the name of; these days I use the aforementioned Spyder system. I haven't calibrated in a while - I should do it.

Mr Bass likes this.
  4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Datacolor and X-Rite seem to be the major brands for calibration devices. I've got an X-Rite gizmo which I use for time to time. Decent monitors do seem pretty good out of the box these days though and I rarely see the values change far off the defaults.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Your monitor is used as a reference standard for showing real memory colors as they should look compared to an external photographed scene next to the monitor showing real items that contain memory colors like a yellow lemon against school bus yellow, sky blue next to royal blue, etc. including a standard color chart (Gretag MacBeth).

If you have a wide gamut monitor like an OLED it will need to be calibrated to show neutral black to mid gray to bright white scaling evenly with no banding in a smooth black and white gradient. (see below my sRGB color space calibrated and profiled 27in. LG)

You'll have to setup Photoshop to encode color in the OLED monitor wide gamut color space if you're not going to use color management (too complicated to outline here). Premiere will have settings to work in the monitor space as well but I've never edited video or used Premiere, just photos in Photoshop and it is color managed.

It's the color gamut space differences between photos in Photoshop vs video in Premiere in OLED color space that's going to be more of a problem than calibration which only puts the display in a known standard state as described above with neutral white and smooth black and white gradient and the example below. If you can make your monitor look as my sRGB gamut LG below, then our images should look the same on both displays shown side by side. I use Xrite Colormunki calibrator.

[​IMG]