Question about Scott Walker "Scott 4" vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SCOTT1234, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently bought Scott Walker's "Scott 4" on vinyl. It's a Universal reissue from 2004 - a replica of the original Philips 1969 release (SBL 7913) on 180g vinyl. Made in The Netherlands, 2004. The code number is 06024 9808185.

Unfortunately, I can't find any information about the mastering. Does anyone know if it was mastered from the analogue tapes, or from digital? Any information appreciated.

2. nin

nin Forum Resident

I don't know about that, but how does it sound? And could you check the dead wax and see if it ends with 320?

3. SCOTT1234

Yes, the last 3 digits in the dead wax are 320 - why do you ask? It sounds pretty good to me but I don't have a copy of the original 1969 issue to compare it to.

4. nin

nin Forum Resident

The reason is to know who cut that vinyl. And 320 is Willem Makkee. He does very good job on vinyl that I have heard (Pulp - Different Class for example). I think he does many of the Universal reissues and many Speakers Corner. You can read more about him here: http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=45

5. SCOTT1234

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear Makkee did the mastering - he normally insists on using analogue tapes. I only wish Universal would give us a few more vinyl reissues of Scott Walker's solo albums.

6. Francis

Francis Active Member

Could you tell us how is the sound of this reissue ? How does it compare to the CD reissues ? Thanks !

7. Francis

Francis Active Member

Willem Makkee cut the recent amazing The Mama's and the Papa's reissue. It's nice to have this guy at Universal for cutting vinyls. The interview by M. Fremer is not very positive when you see that nobody is trained to replace Mr Makkee in case of.

8. SCOTT1234

I think it's vastly superior to the CD versions. That's not to say that the Scott Walker CD reissues are actually bad - if you want digital versions then they are fine - it's just that a good analogue mastered vinyl sounds fuller, warmer etc. and my ears just like it more.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sounds like the original 1992 CD issues of the big 4 - have you heard those? Full, warm sound :agree:

The 2000 CD remasters are hard and cold in comparison.

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  10. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Any links for anybody else to pick up this wonderful wonderful record?

If it is analogue and from the masters...then man my year has been made!

11. SCOTT1234

I bought mine from a German ebay seller called rareblackgold.

12. SCOTT1234

...and some sellers are listing it on amazon.co.uk

13. tolkencatholic

tolkencatholic Forum Resident

Just got this yesterday from a seller in Europe. This reissue sounds fantastic! Quiet pressing also.
    I lucked out and bought a near mint copy but if you have a chance to add this reissue to your collection do not hesistate!

14. Marvin B. Naylor

Marvin B. Naylor New Member

Hello, I have a vinyl reissue of Scott 4 which doesn't sound nearly as good as my reissue of Scott 3. It seems to distort slightly on the louder passages. I've always wondered about this. The last three digits on the dead wax are 852. Any info on this would be appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.