Question: 'Escape' album (1981) by Journey in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 25, 2022.

1. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excuse me, do you own the 'Escape' album (stylized as E5C4P3 on its cover) ?
    Do you dig the album?
    How many copies/pressings of the album do you have now?
    How many copies/pressings of the album have you owned over the years:
    cassettes,
    LPs,
    CDs,
    digital files/downloads, ...?

[​IMG]

From Escape (Journey album) - Wikipedia :
    "In July 2021, it was certified diamond by the RIAA, making it the band's most successful studio album and second most successful album overall behind Greatest Hits."

'All officially recorded and released music by Journey' means:
    all studio albums, all live albums,
    all singles (both A-sides and B-sides), bonus tracks, outtakes,
    alternative takes, rarities, oddities, remixes, ..., etc.

Who am I to judge :hide: what is the 'essential/core music by Journey'?
    Nevertheless, perhaps the following might be helpful:
    'All essential music by Journey' includes
    essential/core (important, best) studio albums and (at least) one live album.

Enjoy!

2. moosebass

moosebass Forum reader and 'like'er.

Yes, I've got the original Escape LP, Departure LP, and the Who's Crying Now 12" single in my collection.
    On CD I've got Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Captured, Dream After Dream, Escape, Frontiers, and the Time3 box set...
    On DVD I've got the Live in Houston tour.

For me, that is essential/core music by Journey.

deredordica likes this.
  3. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

It’s one of two albums that I own on LP, cassette, and CD. I bought the cassette on vacation in the summer of 1981 shortly after it was released.

And I’ve got somewhere between “a lot” and “some” of their other albums. :shrug:

4. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have the original LP of Escape and all their official catalog on vinyl thru Raised on Radio and the original Greatest Hits. No reunion onward. Not a huge fan, but as a 51 year old rock obsessive, I have their music in my collection and play it when the mood strikes. I always felt they never lived up to their potential. Great band but there’s something lacking and watered down about their music. Escape is a good album. Solid. But none of their albums make my life worth living. Better than some. Worse than others. If they never existed, it wouldn’t be a loss. Stone in Love still rocks tho.

CoachD and aravel like this.
  5. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Only Infinity in my collection.

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

UK Original CBS lp and the last Columbia remastered cd.
    Vinyl: Infinity to Frontier plus Greatest Hits reissue
    Cd Everthing from Self Titled to Raised On Radio plus original Greatest Hits and Time3 box set
    +Steve Perry Street Talk JPN for US original.

7. Texado

Texado Aspiring Audiophile

I answered no, but upon viewing a Who's Crying Now video on YouTube moments ago the music is actually very good, I saw Journey and Thorogood open for the Stones in'81 and Mr. Perry is wearing the same leopard skin print as he was clad it at the show ... super vocalist

8. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I put all essential. In my case that means the first three albums plus greatest hits for the Steve Perry stuff.

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

There is no music by Journey in my collection but I did make a playlist on Spotify.
    Somebody bought me the Steve Perry Christmas album. It's not great.

10. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Escape is my favorite Journey album. I've got a few other Journey albums in my library as well.

Regards,
    Dave

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes, it's there.

12. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Yup. Along with Frontiers, Raised On Radio and a couple of the early ones as well as the greatest hits package. But the other stuff that is really cool are albums by the off shoots / solo albums. I encourage anyone to pick up The Storm CD's. Three members of Journey were in the band : Gregg Rolie, Ross Vallory, and Steve Smith. Kevin Chalfant handles the singing for the most part on the album and should have at least been given a shot at being the lead vocalist in Journey after the parting of ways between Steve Perry and the band. Well worth finding the 2 CD's they put out.

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That and around five more of their albums and compilations. I have Escape on the Sony SACD.

Shvartze Shabbos and c-eling like this.
  14. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Don’t have it but it’s a great record. Only Journey I have is the greatest hits on LP, might be the longest LP in my collection, 61 minutes over two sides. I got it for a buck or two used but it’s worth decent money now.

15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I like almost all the similar bands from this era, but I despise Journey. Immediate change of the radio if I hear that guy’s voice. Immediate!

veloso2 likes this.
  17. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

It was in my collection in high school. It disappeared somewhere along the way but I don't plan on buying another. Extreme overexposure has killed any enjoyment I once got from it. I still like some of Journey's songs but I don't need to hear Don't Stop Believin' ever again. No more, thank you. I'm full.

But you never know ...

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Escape, Frontiers and Greatest Hits.

One copy of Escape is the original LP that my drunk BIL left over here in 1981. Wanted to return it, but he doesn't even have a permanent roof over his head, let alone a system to play it on.

Two copies of GH, and the 7" Columbia Hall of Fame "Don't Stop Believin'" b/w "Who's Crying Now."

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

1980’s Japan CD’s of Escape, Frontiers Raised on Radio, and a Greatest Hits SACD that appears to be rare.

c-eling likes this.
  20. Homemade Parachute

Homemade Parachute Forum Resident

Related, I never get tired of reading cover artist Jim Welch say of Frontiers:

"Frontiers was a subtle shift. Mouse and Kelley were not involved with that cover. My vision for Frontiers was based on "tunnels" and the relativity of time and motion. Light stays the same, but time bends. It was Einstein theories for artist interpretation. The alien in Frontiers wasn't really an alien at all, he was a connection to a higher level of listening to Journey."

Right on…

Doggiedogma likes this.
  21. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I have Infinity through Raised on Radio, inc Escape. I listen to the Greg Rolie era more than Jon Cain.

Doggiedogma and c-eling like this.
  22. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Used to be. Used to have their 1975-1996 output on CD a few years back, gradually downsized. Eventually Escape was the only one left. And then that one went too... So none at the moment. Can always dig up one of their songs if I'm in the mood.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yes.
    Escape Japan For US Pre-Emphasis/SACD/89 EQ'd mastering/2021 LP (Sealed)
    Infinity Denon Japan For US
    Departure US DADC/Artisan HGF LP
    Frontiers US DADC Pre-Emphasis/US Masterdisk LP
    Next US Wally LP
    Raised On Radio JVC Japan For US/DADC/Ludwig LP
    Evolution US DADC
    Why Can't This Night Go On Forever US 7 Inch Steve Thompson Remix
    TimeX3
    And the awful Original Album Classics-2011

ganma likes this.
  24. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Infinity and Escape for me.

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Had the original LP. Now I have an old CD and the SACD.

Have one or two other albums from before this, plus their greatest hits.

c-eling likes this.