Question for Australians and customs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hvbias, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

I've sold a couple of things to Australians, I see you guys have to pay tax when checking out on Ebay or Discogs. On Ebay there is a specific ABN number that is written down beneath the person's name so I presume the Australian customs office can look it up and see that the customs has been paid? Am I correct in thinking that?

But what about with Discogs when you pay tax there, there is no ABN number generated. Are you getting double taxed?

Just curious how to best handle these things so things go as smooth as possible for you guys.

2. The GST is not payable by companies that sell less than (from memory) about $500,000 a year of physical product into Australia.
    eBay have a system where they are considered 1 seller and pay and handle GST for all sellers on that platform.
    Most smaller sellers do not collect GST.There is no mechanism for Australians to pay the GST on any package of imports valued under $1000.So if the seller doesn’t collect it and remit it to the Australian government it is not paid.

ispace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.