Question on cutting for Beatles White album on white vinyl in 1978?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j.barleycorn, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have been eyeing one on Discogs so I contacted the seller and asked a few questions about it.
    To late he recently sold it on eBay and didn't take the Discogs listing down yet.

forthlin likes this.
  2. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I did it, tracked another DMM down. The man said it's never been played and I got a great price on it.
    Pics and review will follow, he'll ship today or tomorrow.
    This is exciting,...hey I just remembered that the 50 year anniversary of this album is upon us soon.
    Maybe they'll do something special.[​IMG]

John Bliss and forthlin like this.
  3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

That's the DMM white vinyl ? Then you got lucky !

4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Yes it's the DMM white vinyl, if this comes through then I would say I got extremely lucky after I saw the pics he sent me.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Perhaps it was French Pathé Marconi ? I know there were at least eight different coloured releases of Pepper, which was ridiculous, in their Disque Couleur series.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. AceFrehleyJr

AceFrehleyJr Doesn't Believe The Hype

Original US Version[​IMG]

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There was this import store somewhere in LA (forgot the exact location) and it specialized in colored vinyl which I was into. It was just too confusing in there, could have been French. Looked like UK pressed but it's been only 40 years..

8. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Weren't all color LPs from that time virgin? That is sure to have helped with improving the SQ, along with the mastering of course.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Don't you just love watching it on the turntable go 'round, I do:love:

AceFrehleyJr, John Bliss and DK Pete like this.
  10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

The 1985 white vinyl DMM of "The BEATLES" (aka The White Album) by The Beatles arrived yesterday and I am at this moment listening to it for a 3rd time.
    I think it was Mr Hoffman that said the bass isn't good on this record, I have to say some of the songs are really messed up because of it.
    I won't bother with side 3 again, Birthday, Yer Blues & Long, Long, Long are about the worst versions I have ever heard of them because of the bass.
    Not wild about on Dear Prudence & Glass Onion because of it. But I love the bass on I'm So Tired, it has a sticky plucking sound to it that I never picked on before and the lead vocals are awesome.
    Some of the other lead vocals are great too, the piano in the intro of While My Guitar Gently Weeps kicks it off perfect.
    I'm glad I got it, I have been listening to as many different versions as I can get and the 1978 UK white vinyl is by far the best sounding of them all.
    I feel very fortunate to have gotten a copy of that '78 UK as it is in NM condition.

[​IMG]

John Bliss, timnor and jgrillo like this.
  11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Yes, that German 85 white vinyl DMM is bass heavy. If your system is especially bass revealing, it will be really bloated. I used to like it a lot, but after getting both an original 1st German top loader SMO, and a UK white vinyl from 78 to compare, those sound much better with EQ balance (as much as there can be). Either of those would get my vote on the most accurate representations of the album (on vinyl) there are. You cant go wrong with a UK stereo original top loader either (which I've had), but the 78 white vinyl still gets the edge, for me.

jgrillo likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have a Dutch EMI-Bovema lavender coloured vinyl copy of Band On The Run and it sounds quite nice, though I haven't compared it to my UK or US. Seems like I've come across lots of Dutch coloured vinyl from the late '70s and early '80s. Seems like I've seen a white vinyl Beggars Banquet.

13. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Checked my UK Export "White Vinyl" White Album. Holding up to a light, you can see right through it...and yes it does sound amazing

John Bliss and Shak Cohen like this.
  14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

After reading this thread, I decided to check out my German DMM white vinyl copy. I think it was played once and
    copied to a Maxell XLII tape (that was my usual MO back in the day.) Anyway, the receipt was still in it.
    $14. Ronny must've given me a discount!

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.