Question on practical room treatment options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gov, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gov

gov Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got a room that's dedicated for music and I'd like to treat the walls a bit but don't want to take it too far. It's far from a "man cave" or anything of the sort and the family spends lots of time in it plus it's basically the first room you see when you walk in. So a bunch of GIK type fabric panels are not what I'm looking for for these and many other reasons.

The couch is against the wall and the speakers fire at that wall. For now, I was planning on putting something behind just the primary listening seat. To the left of that is a larger framed artwork that's not going anywhere (has glass in it).

My question is whether any of the following options would work better than drywall or glass (as would be found in a typical art/photo hung in frame):
    • Wrapped canvas print--stretched canvas over a wood frame (would it be a good idea to "stuff" the back with anything or is the canvas sufficient)
    • Hung tapestry made of fabric--something like a rug on wood or one of the fabric tapestry pieces that are all the rage
    • Hardwood panels--(would they need to be uneven surfaced). I've seen some where they are sort of end grain of various heights and other things we've seen are just carved/etched wood panels
    Curious if anyone has had luck with these types of non traditional means of helping treat the room.

2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I've had good luck using beach towels with favorite logos stretched over woodframes with treatments underneath. I have a couple with the Mcintosh logo, an American flag, as well as a couple of pro sports teams I like, They're much better looking than squares of ugly treatments and they still get the job done

gov and The Pinhead like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Pull that couch AT LEAST 2 feet from the wall; the bass buildup that close to that wall is bloating your bottom end.

I think this is the best option in your case. Frame it and stuff a recycled cotton batt as thick as you can afford. COver as much wall as you can (width AND height, not just where the couch's at.

Get rid of the glass; it has the worst reflections BY FAR !

motorstereo and timind like this.
  4. gov

gov Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to you both... @The Pinhead couch can't be pulled out and hear you on the glass...in the past I've had the couch pushed up against windows. I had room darkening curtains I would use sometimes but nobody wants to be listening in a dungeon.

Yeah sub optimal but it's living with the realities of what you've got not what you might want. It's a balancing act hence my desire to do something without making it look like we don't want it to look.

I think it can be done and hell right now I'm bloody thrilled with the way the room sounds. My primary concern is the reflections in the most common listening position.

This is one example of the wood panel with the "end grain"
    [​IMG]

Spica likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Have you run a pink noise FFT?
    that will tell you where to focus
    Get an FFT app and download some pink noise.

also get ClapIR a free RT60 app
    Your time should be ~ 0.25 x (V/100)^0.33 sec
    V is room volume in Cu meters

This site allows you to plug room dimensions and determine how much absorption you need.
    On the last page you can plug in your desired RT60 time and it will give you an average absorption coefficient and area.
    Say it spits out an average absorb. coef. of 0.3 for your room at RT60.
    amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator

It's a weighted average. Assume all surface area is 600 sq ft (10 x 10 x 10 room) and you need 0.35 average. Assume 125 Hz point.
    If the room has 100 sq ft of carpet at 0.1 And the other 500 drywall at 0.39.
    your average is =
    (0.1 x 100)/600 + (0.3 x 500)/600 = 0.27
    So you are pretty close.
    This needs done for each freq then added up. I made an excel spreadsheet, pretty easy.

Glass absorbs lows, reflects highs.
    I have a few large painting and I'm getting rid on them.

The stretched fabric with something behind it, insulation, etc, might work well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    The Pinhead and gov like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you're going to sit with your head that close to the wall, some absorption directly behind would be advised, the thicker the better. You can have one made with a custom print, or stretch your own print over the basic panel, or do your own art work on the panel.

Here's a company I've bought from not long ago. PI AUDIO GROUP DIFFUSERS | Room Treatments | Albuquerque, 87184 | Audiogon They'll paint any color you like, or prime it so you can finish it the way you want. I like the products they sent me.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

Yeah that'll provide diffusion for the mids and highs, but the waves have to be scattered BEFORE they reach your ears. With your head practically against the wall you won't be giving it enough time to properly work; a thick tapestry, with it's absorbent properties, will serve you better. Have you considered just pushing the couch away from the wall on occasion ? (when you are listening) and then shove it back against the wall ? 2 feet will make a hell of a difference in bass definition.

8. The Pinhead

Windows let bass through; they don't absorb it, but alas, the practical effect is the same.

Kyhl likes this.
  9. Ingenieur

Actually they flex, so it absorbs energy.
    Some is reflected
    Some is refracted by vibrating the glass
    Some is absorbed
    Hearing Clearly: The Acoustics of Glass - AVANT ACOUSTICS

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I think the back wall thing can be room dependent (maybe system dependent?) In my room, I'm right on the back wall and I do get reinforcement but it's actually a nice, balanced sound with a satusfying amount of authority. And if I move one foot forward... Total bass null. And this has been observed by my ears and REW in both my current layout and in my other one, which was turned 90* from where it is now.

I also got rid of all absorption and just use diffusion to calm slap echo. Even having a couple rockwool diffusers (DIY, so take this with a healthy grain of salt) just damped dynamics and high-end energy too much for me.

But, this is all stuff you have to kinda feel your way through in the absence of not just the tools to test, but a very good methodology and understanding of how to use them :)

I... Don't really have any of that understanding so I mostly go by what I like to hear.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Hang some blankets on your walls, where you would put treatments. That should get you a pretty good idea of the improvements possible.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The best thing I've found on a wall behind and close to the listener are 4" BAD panels from RPG. They have a mix of binary diffusion and absorption that makes the wall seem to disappear. They come in various thicknesses, and you could use thinner ones, but at the cost of not absorbing bass as well.

GIK makes 4" and 6" Alpha panels that have a similar design, but the binary plate is exposed, not behind a fabric wrap. I have not used them close to the listener, so I can't comment on whether the effect would be as good as the RPG panels.

13. Ingenieur

Those look great.
    Is there an online site to price/purchase?
    Looks like they deal large scale with contractors.
    Perhaps my buddies Architectural firm can get a few samples . :D

14. The Pinhead

There's also a lot of difference when the wall is solid brick (like mine) than when it's drywall (most homes in the USA) Drywall is more forgiving with bass, because bass goes through it, and if there's insulation behind it, better yet) If I were against my wall.... BOOM BOOM !

timind, toddrhodes and doctor fuse like this.
  15. toddrhodes

That makes sense, never thought about it that way. And to no one's surprise, I've got drywall down there, and I do believe we insulated that wall :)

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

Absorption coefficient
    125 Hz
    Brick 0.01 to 0.03
    Gypsum on 16" center studs 0.29
    The only things better: single pane glass and unpainted block

toddrhodes likes this.
  17. toddrhodes

It's almost uncanny how these conversations go - my buddy was *just* telling me an hour ago how he's fighting with his room right now because he has paneling. They took it down and insulated behind it and now it doesn't sound the same. From his messages, I didn't get a sense for what exactly is sounding bad to him, but how that then folds into this conversation - on a topic I don't think I've ever chimed in on? Just weird is all.

Carry on, don't mind me :)

The Pinhead and Ingenieur like this.
  18. Mike-48

Sounds like you have an in already. It's been decades since I bought my BAD panels. I think I got them direct from RPG.

If visual appeal matters, check out the many fabric patterns that Guilford of Maine offers. (They send free swatches on request.) Acoustics firms usually make panels to order, so the upcharge for custom fabrics is relatively low, and many are more attractive than the usual FR-701.

Ingenieur and The Pinhead like this.
  19. Ingenieur

The GIK foam looks great too, nice patterns and colors.
    My back wall is 14 x 8 with a 4' w x 5' H window. Maybe a bunch of 2x2 in a random pattern, 30% coverage. Add some more on the side walls at the intersection.

Wifey might go for that :)
    My RT60 is good but I sit in the middle of a 33' room. So I'm not sure if it would help or hurt?
    I know the bass need a bit so maybe some 6" one each side of the corners.

20. The Pinhead

:unhunh:

21. Ingenieur

Gift cards can work wonders :agree:

but really, the stuff looks like artwork, she usually cuts me some slack, I should say 99% of the time... as I do her

[​IMG]

22. Mike-48

Yes -- though I'd urge you to consider their usual rockwool, rather than foam. It is superior acoustically.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Mike-48 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.