Questions for REL Subwoofer Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 4, 2020.

1. Rayvano

Rayvano Forum Resident

You can do that in your “personal details”

Bananas&blow and keiron99 like this.
  2. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Select "Personal Details" from your username (keiron99) tab/link/drop down located in the upper right corner.

Bananas&blow and keiron99 like this.
  3. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i have natural stone floors and mine sits on a sub-dude isolation platform. i was initially concerned that this may slightly dull things, but it doesn’t and i couldn’t be happier.

btw, speaking of pipe organ, someone here introduced me to what surely has to be one of the most breathtaking test/break in discs; wildor symphony no. 5, a deutsche grammaphon recording of organist simon preston on the pipe organ at westminster abbey. i've heard my share of recordings that move air and hit some insane low frequencies, but this one takes the cake. highly recommended.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    MC Rag likes this.
  4. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

After much deliberation and hesitation, I finally added a second REL T5i sub to my system. I held back from posting for a couple of days as I've been experimenting with placement, crossover, and volume settings. Thanks to @avanti1960 for the suggestion, I kept a notebook and would log down both crossover and volume 'clicks' during my listening. After living with a single T5i sub for more than a year, dialing it in wasn't as difficult as I anticipated as I had some experience listening to bass bloat, making small adjustments as time went on. After 3 days, I think it's very close to being dialed in, factoring in that the new sub is still probably going through break-in. Currently, the new sub is 2 clicks louder than the older one, crossover is the same for now.

So is having a pair of subs worth it? A resounding yes. In my 12 x 16 room, I always thought having dual subs was overkill and I often scoffed at REL's explanation on the benefits of dual subs on its website, attributing it to 'a fool and his money are soon parted' marketing. However, this has been one of the most satisfying upgrades in recent times. The sound coming from my standmount speakers is enormous, it does feel like listening to a full-range speaker now but with the same accuracy, imaging, and nimbleness inherent in standmounts.

All in all very pleased, thanks to the knowledgeable people here on the forum and @DaveyF for insights on dual subs, I am a happy camper.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

congrats!

chipcalzada likes this.
  6. avanti1960

update, after 4 1/2 months of use the output gradually increased as the T9is continued to break in to the point of occasional bass overload.
    a quick reduction in level 2 clicks each and the sound is perfect in all areas.
    i spent years trying to dial in other brands of subwoofers and none of them became as well integrated as the RELs after 10 weeks.

Ingenieur, adamos, MC Rag and 5 others like this.
  7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Damn you ! Now I really have to look into buying a 2nd Rel T7i ;)! So what exactly are the main differences according to you with using only one ? Is the change in soundstage the biggest difference or something else ? And how would you rate the difference, a 20% step up or 40% or... ??

8. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

Same here. I think I've had mine for about two months, and just last week I noticed a bit of overload. I went down two clicks on the level knob and all is right with the world again. I love my REL, and look forward to trying out a second one.

9. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I had the REL T5s with my Harbeth P3ESR. Was great. Definitely easy to integrate.

bever70 likes this.
  10. chipcalzada

Haha! It’s early days so I can’t put an accurate rating on it just yet. In terms of SQ, the best way I can describe it is that music has more impact. I can literally feel the bass notes more but at the same time I can still discern the notes being played. It’s not louder bass but more impactful and more tuneful. Also, there’s more balance, both ends of my room are now being pressurized with bass compared to just the left side before so that equates to a more balanced sound.

If you decide to go for it I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. ;)

11. bever70

Thanks! No apparent soundstage changes noticed then (as Rel claims is the biggest difference with using 2 subs) ?! My room seems to be equally pressurized with one sub, so still holding out a bit to make that decision.

12. chipcalzada

I read that as well from the REL website and it’s not inaccurate. There was a change to the soundstage however not in the sense that I was expecting. I asked myself this question: why was I expecting the midrange and high frequencies to sound different if I add a sub?

It’s the lower frequencies that benefited and by doing this it made everything sound better.

13. bever70

Soundstage is not related to different sounding mids and highs if that was what you were expecting with adding a sub ? As you say the lower freqs benefit but the lower freqs also include all ambient information picked up by the microphones during recording, to me this is the most positive effect of using a sub (or dual subs) and results in better 3d imaging. I just wonder all the time if having 2 instead of 1 is really that impactful with regards to this as Rel states.

14. chipcalzada

You're right, soundstage is not related to different sounding mids and highs. I think my expectation was in line with recent upgrades, where I would add something new and there would be something that would change. Adding a sub brought more weight to the sound which makes for better accuracy especially for certain instruments. Take the piano for example, I listened to Keith Jarrett's the Koln Concert and it sounded more real, immersive and impactful with dual subs. As always, hindsight is 20/20, so yes, IMO running dual subs results to better and more accurate imaging.

bever70 likes this.
  15. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I hope this isn't taken as a threadcrap but I am having an issue of getting a deep rumbling from my T5i. It happens when I turn it on. Nothing else has to be on, not even the amp feeding it. It will play the music with the system on but also the rumble is audible and the driver is moving constantly whether there is any bass in the music or not. Annoying to say the least.

If I remove the screw in cable, the rumble goes away. But as soon as its plugged in the sound returns. The rumble occurs when nothing but the sub is powered on, or if everything is powered on. I changed nothing in the chain when the rumble showed up. Well I did add a usb cable feeding my Oppo, but I can't imagine that had anything to do with it.

Any ideas of what is wrong? Anybody experience an issue like this with an REL sub?

16. avanti1960

how is it connected to your amp?

bever70 likes this.
  17. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

... and with which amp are you running the T5i?

18. bever70

So it's still connected in the same way as before to your amp when you didn't have any hum ? I assume you use the high level connection (speaker outputs on your amp) ? You still might want to check those, maybe one of the cables (of the rel speakon cable) has gotten loose at the back of your amp?!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

REL has very good customer service. I would suggest a call to them to discuss the problem.

20. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

It's connected via the High Level input. I have both positives connected and the right channel negative from a Parasound A21 outputs to the REL. It performed perfectly for the first few months. I double checked the connections on the back of the amp and they seem fine.

21. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

You might be having an grounding issue. I had that with my T5s on 2 amps. 1 needed me to earth one of the wires to the chassis and another I used the amp’s RCA to connect to the line input to get the earth.

Have a look at this:

bever70 and Joshua Tree like this.
  22. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

not to muck up the water, but this just in from REL... (An email from REL, posted to a different forum...)

So, you could jumper to the subs from the terminals of the speakers themselves, and not need to go all the way back to the amp.

Or maybe this is already common knowledge.

tIANcI, bever70 and Bananas&blow like this.
  23. bever70

Yes but he has only 1 sub...

24. avanti1960

some things to try-
    the strange thing is the fact that it was working OK and then suddenly changed. back track everything you changed in your system. make sure the sub and amp are on the same circuit.

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/e...9588-How-do-I-stop-my-subwoofer-from-humming-

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

dang these threads!

Just ordered a REL T/9i to compliment my KEF R3's, 2 ch stereo. Both gloss black.

I want accurate tonal reproduction. My listening levels are 75-85 dB, usually in the middle. Mostly jazz and acoustic. My room is fairly large ~ 34 x 13 x 8 and I have a perfect corner shooting the long diagonal. Out of the way and wife approved. ;)

Looking forward to break in and set-up . Learned a lot from this thread.
    Looks like my dog will get some road trips and field time. Can't leave her home during break in. Lol

[​IMG]