Questions for REL Subwoofer Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 4, 2020.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

lol

When I did mine and came home more than a few pictures were crooked. :)

After the 2 hours I lowered the gain a notch or two
    Again after the 8 hours

RCM likes this.
  2. I've had to lower the xover on my Ti7 a bit after a few days of playing. I listened to Everclear by American Music Club on Friday night, a nice bass heavy pressing of that album, and was getting a bit of distortion. Brought things down a couple of notches, all good again. It's not often a hi-fi product lives up to its reputation but this one really does. I think for me, using my PM1s (bass light speakers), this has been a particular revelation. My system sounds huge. Wider, deeper and heftier.

3. Ingenieur

It is really hard to overstate how much better it makes the listening experience.

Where is you gain and xover set?

Do your speakers have ports?
    Plugging mine sharpened everything up. It may require a bump or two in gain.

Edit: it does have a front port
    Same plug as mine, a full one that can be reduced by removing the center piece

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. RCM

RCM Well-Known Member

Holy Jeebus, what a great sub! Up until now I have never had a sub worth keeping in a strictly music system. They either contributed nothing, or way too much. I was constantly fussing with the position and settings and just never got one to work flawlessly. I have the T9i set in the corner behind my rack. It's 9" from the side wall and 5" from the back, canted to the left at about 15° out from the back wall. I didn't count the clicks, but the crossover is about 9 o'clock and the gain is at 1 o'clock. It's connected via the high level input cable. I know it's there because I set it up, but at these settings it's not screaming "I'M HERE", I'm just hearing the bass that I was missing after a recent upgrade. I decided to get a dedicated preamp and picked up a McIntosh C49 to replace the Vincent SV-237MK that I had been using as a preamp with my Crimson 275. That's a whole 'nother story in itself for the McIntosh forum. It surprised me in that, as incredible as it sounds it did not reach nearly as deep into the bass as the Vincent did, and I like my bass. I also really like the C49. In every other category it's in a completely different universe from the Vincent sound and operation wise, so I had to try another sub, something I have always avoided like the plague. REL has made a believer out of me.

bever70, Williamson and Ingenieur like this.
  5. Ingenieur

It's pleasantly surprising, the difference 20-30 Hz can add, isn't it?

Your set up is similar to mine:
    Corner, out 12", slight cant.
    Gain a bit less, 11:30, xover the same, 9 o'clock.
    How large is your room?
    I see why your gain is set higher, your speakers eff of 102 dB at 1 W (2.83 V into 8 Ohm) means your amp is dialed low so you need more out of the sub amp, ie, more gain to match it.

Closed eyes, can't locate it, blends perfect. IMO one of the biggest improvements I've ever made.

lol read your profile, you've been around!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    RCM likes this.
  6. RCM

RCM Well-Known Member

Yes I have! I've been pursuing audio nirvana for quite a long time, and I truly feel like I'm done. In fact, I'm 100% sure.
    My room is 12 x 18, it's called a great room and adjoins the kitchen dining nook. My system is not tailored for a specifically centered listening position, it's adjusted so I get a pleasing sound in several positions. I have never been a fan of dedicated listening rooms. For me, that's just not and has never been realistic.
    If this sub had failed me, it would have been up for sale the next day. I really didn't want to try another one, but damn, that C49 is so incredible that I had to try, because I sure as hell wasn't going to kick it to the curb. I wouldn't have liked it, but I could have taught myself to live with less bass. Thankfully, now I don't have to. If you take the time and follow REL's tips, their sub can truly be rendered invisible in any room. Surprisingly, even though mine is behind my rack, it's not imparting any unwanted effects into my equipment. It gave me exactly what I wanted; slightly enhanced bass to make up for what the C49 lacked.

7. RCM

RCM Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone is interested, I found a useful free app called Vibrometer. Smart phones have accelerometers built in that can be utilized as vibration transducers. Vibrometer turns your smart phone into a very sensitive vibration meter that can be laid directly on your amp, turntable, or audio stand to see how much the sound from your speakers and sub is affecting them. Pretty handy for seeing if those expensive isolation pads you bought are working, or if they are even necessary.

8. Ingenieur

thanks

9. Yeah they are front ported and the baffle is removed as I was trying to maximise bass. Yes, I could plug them again I guess, good point. Obviously I would have to reset the sub-woofer.

My xover is at about midnight/1am.
    The gain is at about 10am.

10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I as of late used RTA in the REW software with a minidsp mic to set up my REL sub in real time.
    This also allowed me to verify the phase was correct.

you would be surprised how much setting the crossover a bit higher makes sense doing it that way and seeing how well it integrates into your mains speakers.
    For my REL Ti7 I had the crossover originally set to around 14 clicks.
    when calibrating it using REW it was better integrated at 19 clicks.
    You can also more accurately set up the volume this was as well.

now my bass response is more even across all the spectrum.
    With it lower the 30-50hz range was a tad boomy
    Now it is much smoother.

I also hired Matthew Poes from Audioholics to educate me and walk me through these measurements along with other measurements to add room treatment.

I’ll share pics soon

11. Ingenieur

I know I'll get flack but try this
    Plugs in
    Gain 12
    xover 10-11

12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Exactly my experience when I bought my Rel one year ago!
    As @Ingenieur said above though, you might want to try to lower your xover and turn up the gain. Gain should be nearly allways higher than xover (as Rel states).
    I made the same 'mistake' of having the xover higher than my gain in the first months, it was only after getting to know the sub better and what it really did for the sound that I could dial it in even better (lower xover and set gain higher).

Ingenieur likes this.
  13. Blimey !!!

Ingenieur likes this.
  14. Ingenieur

I'll take that as good :)

now that you're in the ball park
    Play some music with acoustic bass
    Close your eyes
    Listen for tone
    Listen to see if bass is about the same volume as the rest of the music

if tone is blurred, xover 1 click down at time
    It has very little impact

Adjust bass once satisfied with tone
    Make it balance with the rest

again, imo,
    Your xover may not need any more adjustment
    Only a click or 2 down at most

You speakers have low eff, the sub may need to go up a click or 2

15. No, I've done nothing with it yet. Too busy listening to music !! :)

16. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Ha yeah that sounds way too low.

17. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Are you using a proper mic for your measurements?
    Legit question. Not trying to be snarky.

18. Ingenieur

No
    These things are only order of magnitude approximations.

I'm not saying to chase the dragon, you will never catch it and it will likely eat you. :)

the phone mic is dang accurate though. Using an FFT app and test tone amplitude and frequency are spot on.

Tone? likes this.
  19. Ingenieur

Actually the xover may be too high depending on his room and placement.
    But between 20 and 75 barely any change at all.
    You can see that from freq plots.

20. Ingenieur

Look at the curves
    30, 75, 120 at 3 different gains, likely low, mid, hi, but doesn't matter.

30, 75, 120
    Peak 30, 35, 45 Hz
    -3 dB 50, 55, 65

-3 is ideal since 2 x -3 dB = 1

you can see very little difference
    Gain makes a big difference

[​IMG]

21. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I don’t know man. I have that same FFT app and used the iPhone mic and it’s no where near as accurate as REW with a proper mic. The REW software also lets me see what is a room mode compared to the crossover settings. So I can differentiate.
    But I get it. To each his own. I’m not here to argue just exchange ideas and measurements.
    :)

22. Ingenieur

who's arguing?

When I play a test tone from the Stereophile test CD it is at a stated level and frequency.
    It is within 1 or 2 Hz of the FFT app
    ClapIR confirms it a 1000 Hz tone instead of a clap, dead on.

What is interesting to me is the REL curves, unlike any other sub.
    -12 dB 30, 75, 120
    70, 80, 100

I think that is why it is easy to integrate, very little difference between 30 and 120. Hard to get it wrong, some like loud bass over a wide band, some like tight and accurate, balanced.
    It may have to do with music type.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Tone? likes this.
  23. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

I listen to quiet and moderate volumes. Is there a benefit in buying a T9i or would that be overkill? Would a T7i be enough or is the T9i also more refined?

I have a big listening room (+/- 6m x 12m) and I'd use the high level input

24. Ingenieur

They sound similar
    Quality is the same
    The 9 has a bit more lower extension
    In your room imo get the 9

25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My room is 4m x 7m and I use a T7i.
    For a bigger room, such as yours I would definitely advise a T9i (or better 2x T7i if you have the budget and options for positioning 2 subs in your room).