R.I.P. Jim Seals of Seals & Crofts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Jun 7, 2022.

1. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star Thread Starter

Jim Seals of Seals & Crofts Dies Aged 80

Jim Seals of the 70s soft rock duo Seals & Crofts has died at the age of 80.

Seals was born in Sidney, Texas in 1941. Seals was a one-time member of The Champs but joined after their hit ‘Tequila’, also featuring Glen Campbell. He then toured with Eddie Cochran before Campbell formed Glen Campbell and the GCs with Seals and Crofts both part of the band.

The breakthrough for Seals & Crofts came with the second album ‘Summer Breeze’. The title track ‘Summer Breeze’ reached no 6 US and no 16 Australia, 1972.

[​IMG]
    ‘Diamond Girl’ the album sold Gold in the USA. It contained the hits ‘Diamond Girl’ (1973) and ‘We May Never Pass This Way (Again)’.

[​IMG]
    ‘I’ll Play For You’ (1975) was also a Top 40 it in Australia.

[​IMG]
    Seals & Crofts stopped recording after 1980 after being dropped by Warner. In 1991 they officially reunited for a year. In 2004 they released their first album since 1980 ‘Traces’.

Jim’s brother Dan Seals is the Dan in England Dan & John Ford Coley. Jim and Dan often played together in the 2000s as Seals & Seals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a major loss. Seals & Crofts are one of my favorite duos of all time. Their songs are timeless. Ride easy, Jim.

Greenalishi, HitAndRun, dzjc and 41 others like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love this song for the last almost 50 years.

WOW!! R.I.P. Dear Jim. What a duo who brought me and so many others so much musical joy.

:cry:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Very sad. RIP Summer Breeze.

bluerondo, Sean, chickendinna and 5 others like this.
  4. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Rest In Peace

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sorry to read it. Seals and Crofts had an underrated set of records in the 70's.

6. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Many lovely, timeless songs. Will listen to them today.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Besides the songs named in the first post, I liked "My Fair Share" from the movie One on One. Very nice music that, sadly, you don't hear much anymore.

R.I.P. Jim Seals

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Love SEALS & CROFTS, as well as ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY. They just don't make music like this anymore and it's sad.

Jim will now join his brother Dan in heaven and maybe they can get James Griffin, Mike Botts and Larry Knechtel from BREAD and form a new supergroup! RIP Jimmy

10. perk

perk Forum Resident

Loved Seals and Crofts, RIP

11. Chris C

This is worth 15 minutes of your time, if you're a fan ...

12. Chris C

Thoughts to member @Doug Sclar as he had the privilege of actually working with Jim and Dash, so this news has to come hard.

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

In 1975 they appeared on The Bobby Goldsboro Show where they performed "Ashes In The Snow" (from their first LP on T-A), plus "Dust On My Saddle" (from Diamond Girl). ED&JFC were also on the show where they performed an acoustic version of "Showboat Gambler" - which, a year later, with full backing, was issued as a single on the B side of "Nights Are Forever Without You."

As for S&C themselves, one can't forget their big hit with ex-Honey Cone singer Carolyn Willis, "Get Closer."

A dirty shame that none of Seals & Crofts' own singles charted in the UK (though an Isley Brothers' cover of "Summer Breeze" did).

14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

head_unit, RickH, MisterNines and 8 others like this.
  15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

never realized his history in rock! impressive. i of course grew up with the hits! rest in peace jim seals!

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh man, what a talented musician. Rest In Peace, Mr. Seals.

17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Weird. I played Seals and Crofts a few weeks ago after not really listening to them for decades. I remember liking and hearing them all the time in the 1970s and taped a show they did on PBS with my new 8-track recorder! RIP Jim.

18. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Those singles were a soundtrack for me in the early 70's. "Diamond Girl" in particular brings me back to the summer of 73. RIP.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

RIP Jim. You are missed already.

20. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

So very sad to hear of this. Seals & Crofts were part of my formative years. Another fine musician now contributing to the Celestial choir and orchestra. Much peace and comfort to his loved ones.

It is very hard being of the age now where routinely the artists I have been inspired by for a lifetime are passing.

Chris C, CCrider92, Don Lucho and 5 others like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RIP Jim Seals, a lot of history in Rock and Pop circles before Seals & Croft, Thank you Jim for all your artistic and creative songwriting and very talented musician...another gone too soon!

22. Chris C

Check out this clip with Glen Campbell ...

23. Chris C

Rare Canadian TV appearance from 1989 ...

24. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

RIP. A big part of the 70s for so many of us, some fantastic music (and produced very well!).

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member