Radio...SUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

This thread was started yesterday and has now grown to 9 pages. And I can totally relate with the OP even though I haven't listened to radio since the late '90's. Just watching the Grammy winners this year pretty much convinced me to listen to posted YouTube videos in SHF threads on any number of subjects concerning genre's of music.

And I finally just stopped with the sound quality obsession and played videos posted in the "Sounds 007ish" SHF thread through my $80 W-King D8 boombox sitting next to my computer.

It's all mono anyway and a joy to just push a button and listen to really well balanced sound from music on a boombox. Headphones just made me wonder if there was a better mastering somewhere else. NO MORE!

SHF RADIO FOREVER!

2. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

105.5 KJAC/The Colorado Sound and 102.3 KVOQ/Indie 102.3 are both listenable, and they stream. Both stations are listener supported which I think is the difference. Commercial radio is a vast wasteland of utter cr@p. I never listen to it. If they all go out of business it will be their own fault.

3. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

In the UK you're fortunate to have the BBC. BBC6 Music (I'm listening to it right now-don't know anywhere else where you can hear Bjork, Broadcast and Phillip Glass in the same hour) is always interesting and also features actual musicians as presenters-Tom Robinson and Guy Garvey are worth catching on weekends and can be streamed in the US on the BBC Sounds app. The 6 Music playlist gathers new stuff from the regional stations which is a great way to hear new music. The time difference can be a bit confusing-midnight ambient hour goes out at 5pm here in Denver...

DeadParrot likes this.
  4. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Yet another new music sucks thread.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Here's what local radio has been like now and in the past in my experience...

...waiting for music to play that I like and waiting...and waiting....and....CRAP!...reach for the dial and hope there's good reception on another station.

FUNK THAT!...remember that song from the '90's? I DO! It complains humorously about music on the radio. Can't find this song playing on the radio. It's old and doesn't fit a genre of music to know how to look for it.

With radio you can't find what you don't know exists which means forget finding GOOD NEW music in the oblivion of the internet.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

hardly...your reply and trolling are weak at best. people don’t really look to radio for “new music”

1983 likes this.
  7. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

How am I trolling? Of course people don’t look to radio for new music.

8. Tim Lookingbill

Pointing out the obvious as if it's new information. But at least you keep it short but not very interesting I'm afraid.

9. Ironic that threads in radio seem to have a majority of posters say ‘radio sucks, streaming rules’ but streaming threads are ‘streaming sucks as the artist isn’t paid anything.’ There’s no winning here.

1983 likes this.
  10. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

You admit that people don't listen to radio for new music, so how did you arrive at the conclusion that this thread, titled "Radio Sucks" is a "new music sucks" thread? :confused:

1983 likes this.
  11. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

FM radio here in the New York area certainly does suck a lot of the time. The classic rock station only has four records, which it plays in rotation:

Limelight - Rush
    Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey
    Dream On - Aerosmith
    More Than A Feeling - Boston

(OK, I’m joking somewhat. I have counted at least twenty different songs...)

There is one team of DJs who are very amusing in their interactions with one another but play the same old stuff over and over and over and over and bloody over again. Other presenters do have better playlists, though.

And don’t even get me started on the mostly godawful dreck that’s played on what pretends to the the Country station... You’ll never hear Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, Tammy Wynette or John Denver, that’s for sure!

Thank God for Sirius XM satellite radio, Pandora and what’s on my iPhone... otherwise I would probably be singing nursery rhymes to myself when I’m my car.

12. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

SiriusXM. You'll never listen to terrestrial radio again.

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Because at that point I have just about any music I'd ever want to hear without some random dj curating a cross section of it for me. And without dopey commercials from a completely different market in another town, city, or state. I have zero use for any of it.

14. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

15. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

WNCX has all-request Saturday nights. I'll listen to that sometimes.

17. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Nor do I listen to SiriusXM anymore. Other than a few OK stations and no commercials, their music profile is pretty much the same as terrestrial these days. In the pre-merger days XM was great for music discovery, that's long gone now.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's because they didn't get the massive subscribers pre-merger.

19. While I admire some of their programming the sound quality has been lousy, at least when I had a subscription.

20. BroJB

I play what I want (within FCC guidelines) and I wing it. I have no idea what I'm going to play when I enter the studio. A combination of my mood and what listeners are requesting takes us wherever we end up.

I've had shows in which 1925 Louis Armstrong and Slayer have been played within the same hour. On Friday's show (which is the link) both The Hollyridge Strings and Bad Brains got a play.

21. audiodefiled

audiodefiled Forum Resident

Best radio station I've ever heard is Liberty Rock Radio with Iggy Pop as the DJ. If real radio could do that I'd still listen. I like 70s / 80s classic rock ( among other stuff ) but am sick and tired of hearing Hollywood Nights and Fly Like an Eagle for the umpteenth time. There's decades of great music to sift through but we are constantly bombarded with the hits...and only the "hits".

Luvtemps and 1983 like this.
  22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool, very cool!!

1983 likes this.
  23. BroJB

We stream so you can listen if you like. I'm on Monday at 6 PM mountain time with the Soul Kitchen ( all classic soul and funk), and Friday at 3mountain with The Wild Ride.

KRFC is on Tunein, Stitcher and most other radio apps. If you have Alexa, telling it to play KRFC and we'll be there.

Or you can stream at the website: KRFC 88.9 FM

Gimme a shout if you're listening and I'll play you something.

1983 likes this.
  24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

It's funny. I may spend fifteen to twenty minutes a day in the car, different times each day, and yet still manage to hear the same five or six songs every time.

25. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Haven't listened to radio for music, really, since the 1980s when I discovered that I could make my own mix tapes and then CD-R mix CDs. At one time, radio was fun. That was back in the 1960s and 70s when you didn't really have a practical choice for "hands-off" programmed music listening.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.