Radiohead - OKNOTOK "OK Computer" Anniversary Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, May 2, 2017.

1. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Found a cool Easter Egg in the OKNOTOK digital download that came with the vinyl set.

The files show in the finder window that they were created on January 24, 1984. What is so significant about that day? It was on the day that Steve Jobs introduced the first MacIntosh computer, by having it speak to the audience.

2. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

That's actually an Apple Easter egg, not a Radiohead thing.

http://gizmodo.com/5929286/the-easter-eggs-are-back-in-os-xand-this-one-is-insanely-great

TheFlesh likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not for those of us with tape decks in the car. I was still dubbing my new CDs onto Maxell XL-II c90 cassettes for my horrific commutes in the Bay Area! :D

gregorya, Kevin j, TheFlesh and 2 others like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks - didn't realize that site was up and will check out a concert this weekend!

On YT there is an HD show from 2016 at some festival in Chicago so there are at least four high quality gigs from this tour.

5. I've no idea how many more shows will be made available via www.radiohead.tv over the next few weeks, but it looks as if they're finally sharing concerts from the 2017 tour dates after previously being accused of not wanting any pro-shot footage to emerge from the era surrounding A Moon Shaped Pool. My guess is that they were simply waiting until enough quality material was stockpiled to justify relaunching their old website, especially as it seems that Thom in particular has made peace with the idea of entertaining his fans (see the final verse of Daydreaming or the sudden return of Creep to frequent setlist rotation).

I've read elsewhere that a concert from last year - possibly the video to go with Jonny's edit of the Roundhouse performance heard during the Live From A Moon Shaped Pool fan event - could be on the cards, along with the very first show of this recently finished tour and maybe the rescheduled Manchester date, since cameras were supposedly there for the purpose of filming something. Whatever happens, it's clear that Radiohead are happy to serve... Well, pretty much everyone unable to get tickets for their magical run of activity over the last year or so. I've been soaking up every last frame and note of these uploaded shows, thankfully captured in great quality for repeat experiencing!

JeffMo likes this.
  6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

that's built into macOS. any file that you copy or download will show the jan 24, 1984 date.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1..._references_debut_of_original_apple_macintosh

Drew769 likes this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Exactly! You bought the CD. ;)

JeffMo likes this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree with some of the comments recently. I would have loved to hear the music on the cassette, but not on cassette, and not for what it would have cost to get it. The box looks lovely but I guess I'm just not quite that devoted to plump for it. But I do love this album. So I "settled" for the 3 LP set with download - found a new copy of the limited blue vinyl edition of the set today for $35 in a local brick and mortar store. This thing looks and sounds amazing. Unbelievably quiet surfaces on the vinyl. Stoked!

recstar24 likes this.
  9. ThisIsOurMusic

ThisIsOurMusic New Member

Did anyone order the $40 OKNOTOK 3 LP (not the deluxe) from Sound Stage Direct? I pre ordered a copy in June and as of July 24th, I'm still waiting to get my copy. I've called SSD customer service twice now and they've nicely explained that their shipment has been delayed from their supplier. I just don't get why so many other sources (Amazon, Music Direct, Elusive Disc, etc.) have had it in stock for over a week and SSD still hasn't received their initial shipment. Any insight on this? Thanks for your time.

10. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

New one is coming apparently. I'm dreading opening it...

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Can you cancel and order anywhere else?

12. ThisIsOurMusic

ThisIsOurMusic New Member

They charge your cc before shipping and only give credit on a future SSD order if I cancel it. Just as soon wait, but I'm just curious if anyone knew why their supplier would be delayed. Did they receive damaged copies, perhaps? Their customer service reps don't seem to know the reason, so I thought someone on this forum might be in the same boat as me found out the reason. I've heard SSD folks look at this forum sometimes.

13. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I'm sure you're right generally. However: out here in NC, I knew several people who had OKC on cassette. I remember looking through the foldout and being impressed they managed to incorporate all of the lyric sheet. For my part I was still using cassettes -- but usually not buying them, I was making tapes -- until 1998 when I got a portable CD player finally.

14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I've cancelled orders with SSD over the years and not once have I been told that I had to accept a credit with them. They have always provided a full and immediate refund to whatever payment method I used to place the order.

As you've been waiting a ridiculous amount of time, I'm sure they will understand your desire to cancel.

15. seanjennings

seanjennings Member

Picked up the Double Remastered C.D a couple of wks ago.Not got round to playing it yet All these Anniversary Re-issues,have become a bit of a joke,just another record label cash cow.Only bought it,because i wanted to hear the full album,picked it up for a bargain price,so i"m not complaining.

16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I bought the blue limited version a few weeks ago and sides 4 and 6 are way off center. Enough to really make the guitar in the Tourist sound wobbly. I really hate having to return things to my local shop, as they always look at me like I'm crazy. Not sure what to do. Is the Optimal pressed version from Europe decisively better than the US pressed version? And where did they press the one in the US?

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Received my replacement LPs for the super-deluxe edition. They are actually scratched worse than the first set, but at least this time they did not have Scotch Tape residue on them. :sigh:

18. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

My blue E.U. copy pressed by Optimal has a few non-fill patches across different sides and discs. It's not that one disc was affected only. What leads me to think there must be more affected copies out there although you don't see many people complaining yet. It's not dramatic but can be disturbing when you listen with headphones especially.
    On Discogs I read a comment that the U.S. version was supposedly pressed by Independent Record Pressing (IRP) according to some Reddit thread which I have not found yet. It would make sense though because there are a few existing test pressings for other records which IRP did for XL Recordings, even some Radiohead albums. Especially the mould of the vinyl labels of those IRP test pressings are similar to the Radiohead U.S. copies. I just came up with this theory, I don't have proof though.

19. TheFlesh

TheFlesh I eat fried foods.

Is there a place to find all of the videos of the concerts they've released? I hope to hell they release the show I saw at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I'll check YouTube...

Also I got my replacement records today since the ones that came with my box set were scratched. These came all the way from Europe. No full box replacement which I didn't really expect. Just the3 LPs sandwiched between cardboard with the funny little "how to open" instructional cartoon just like in the box set. Was dismayed to find one of the discs was still marked up. Thankfully it's the one disc that wasn't scratched from first set so I can now piece together a NM set and have the three scuffed ones to play as often as I like without fear of damaging them so that's nice. The scuffing/light scratching didn't affect playback thankfully but it sure looked ugly. They should've packaged them better for Christ's sake. I receive vinyl in the mail from the 60's that's flawless all the time so I'd expect an expensive brand new box set to have flawless discs too. Oh well I have achieved success so I can't really complain. Still very happy to have bought it. Don't think I could've asked for a cooler release of one of my favorite albums of all time.

20. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Anyone has the Japanese UHQ 2CD set and cares to comment on the quality of the packaging and the discs?
    Is there a booklet included with this one, or any artwork that is separate from the cardboard sleeve?
    Is it in fact the same cardboard sleeve like the standard EU/US 2CD? Are the CDs packaged separately in inner sleeves?

21. I believe a few of these may have turned up on YouTube, and it should be noted that Radiohead are know for letting fans upload full shows, even to the point where a site has been set up sharing high quality concerts under the condition these are freely shared. For example, there's a channel I can think of dedicated to providing whole shows, both professionally shot and audience recorded, while another covers interviews with the band's members. Also, they clearly don't object to the whole of Meeting People Is Easy being available, though I remember the Merlin Beggars group having to be confronted about its blocking of quite a few videos last year, which is a trend that has now thankfully started going back the other way again.

P.S. I'm fairly sure the performances currently hosted on www.radiohead.tv are stored at Vimeo, and I believe there is a way you can download videos from this service... (A quick Google search is your friend!)

TheFlesh likes this.
  22. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

So basically, both the US and Europe pressing have their own problems. Man, why couldn't they get the remaster of the classic album right? I wish someone like MoFi would have done it and had it pressed at a better plant. This album is too good to be treated this way.

23. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Does the 2CD come in a jewel case?

Given that I have the previous 2CD version of this, is the new one worth getting?

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Worth buying for the three 'new' tracks IMO.

JeffMo and bobcat like this.
  25. slosaint

slosaint Forum Resident

I got lucky. Finally received the 3-lp set from w.a.s.t.e. Still don't understand why, for the first time with their reissues, they pressed in the U.S. for North American buyers? Plus, why did it take more than a month to receive the preordered vinyl set after it arrived in U.S. record stores in both blue and black iterations? With that said, again, I got lucky. Vinyl is in great shape with no warpage, clicks, pops or skips. Imo, it blows away the Capitol reissue from a few years back. The recording has much more depth, defined bass and an overall warm, full sound. Fitting for such a stellar Radiohead effort.