Radiohead's "Kid A" Turns 20--Anniversary Set Speculation and Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 11, 2020.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah, like an alternate dimension version of an album from these sessions.

RockyRaccoon and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’d be so happy to hear an alternate version of the album. It seems unlikely, but we can hope

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

i NEED that jonny 50 minute recording!!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

So we're about a month out from the 20-year anniversary of this album, and no announcement from the band? Are they not doing anything for this?

I was expecting maybe an online dump of some session material, at least. Maybe it will appear on their online library.

tug_of_war and CassetteDek like this.
  5. beatleroadie

Nothing official from Radiohead yet about the anniversary of Kid A.

Their last social media post was about "Lucky" and the new reissue of the War Child HELP album on which the song debuted.

I would think if we don't hear anything by early October, it may not be happening. But then Radiohead has been known to keep secrets and announce things much closer to release date than most other artists...

tug_of_war and CassetteDek like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

If a physical package hasn't been announced and had a pre-order, I seriously doubt that's going to happen at this point. Commemorating it online seems more likely.

CassetteDek likes this.
  7. beatleroadie

Maybe the deluxe set is announced on the actual anniversary of the album OCT 2, pre-orders go up that day, and it's released in December sometime before Christmas...

8. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

I’d be more than cool with this.

whisper3978 likes this.
  9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I literally laughed out loud.

nosticker likes this.
  10. surforia

surforia Forum Resident

Traditionally, not much stuff gets announced before Labor Day over here in the US. There is still 2 or so more weeks left for an announcement with enough time for a late October release.

11. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I love this album. I remember buying it as soon as it came out, at the peak of my Radiohead fan-dom (had been a fan since their first album) and being totally blown away by it. I'll never forget the feeling I got when I "discovered" the hidden booklet. I managed to see them on the Amnesiac tour the following year which was amazing.

Another great memory I have of this album - at the time of its release I was studying Computer Music in Uni and we were reading about Paul Lansky, the electronic music artist. On his website ("homepage") he had a contest to guess which song Radiohead had used his samples on Kid A. I guessed correctly ("Idioteque") and he gave me access to a treasure trove of his unreleased material. I wish I still had that link!

Edited to add: I cannot believe it's been 20 years already!!

whisper3978 and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

They may wait until next year's anniversary for Amnesiac. That would still give them an excuse to put out both albums in some kind of set, especially since they were recorded at the same time.

13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps there will be an exclusive Canadian release... Kid Eh?
    ;)

CassetteDek and beatleroadie like this.
  14. beatleroadie

If they decide to "go big" with this one, I think combining Kid A tracks and Amnesiac tracks into one set under a different name would be really cool, whether they do that this year or next year!

I'd love to see something like this:

CD1 - Kid A (remastered)
    CD2 - Amnesiac (remastered)
    CD3 - Amnesiac B-sides (remastered)
    CD4 - Unreleased songs, and alternate takes from the whole sessions (in order of recording, so mixing up Kid A and Amnesiac)
    CD5 - Live Show from 2001

I suppose that would be a massive 7LP set :)

JeffMo, CassetteDek and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Is that enough for one disc? Weren't there like 5 tracks?

16. beatleroadie

I guess they could go on another disc, not their own, but there are 8...

Theses are the b-sides, right?

1. Fast-Track
    2. The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
    3. Trans-Atlantic Drawl
    4. Kinetic
    5. Fog
    6. Worrywort
    7. Cuttooth
    8. Life in a Glass House (long version)
    *There's also the officially released Tree Fingers (extended version) that Radiohead put out on YouTube in Feb of this year, so that could be track 9.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Oh yeah. I guess I was thinking there are only 5 that I really like. :p

I also have a feeling that some of the most significant leftovers got used on Hail To The Thief.

18. beatleroadie

Getting any early versions of HTTT tracks that were tried during Kid A/Amnesiac sessions would be awesome. I don't know which songs, if any from HTTT they tried then. But I'd love to know...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

The extended Treefingers was also on Memento - (Music For And Inspired By The Film), released in 2001. It’s been around for a while.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Remember mate, this is RADIOHEAD ;)

They will announce something and the release will be out the next day

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

There’s a very embryonic version of “There There” in one of the videos up on the public library. Plus we know they worked on “I Will” since they reversed it for “Like Spinning Plates.” I want it all.

22. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

And more versions of "True Love Waits" of course. Crazy that they seemed to immediately get away from that initial 1995 live version in all of the recordings we have heard of it. All the bizarre versions that have come out of it have made the version on A Moon Shaped Pool seem like the best possible outcome.

23. beatleroadie

They really did try stretching that song into strange territory, but it's just not that. It's a simple, beautiful ballad.

24. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m assuming they tried “Nude” during this era too. Seems likely, right?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

That one instrumental version on the hacked release was interesting, at least, but still just not right at all. If those hacked discs have shown us anything, it's that the Godrich/Radiohead collective was INCREDIBLE at picking exactly the best material for OK Computer. Still wish that the "finished" version of "Lift" was available more widely.

Chrome_Head and beatleroadie like this.