"Rain - The Beatles" Take 5 [original tempo]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SinnerSaint, Dec 5, 2022.

1. SinnerSaint

SinnerSaint Music is Life Thread Starter

Such a great groove to the '66 released single of "Rain" + a preview of studio sounds thereafter.

Take 5:

Giles Martin on the technique:
    https://youtu.be/wCv92dcNK4k

"You Can't Unhear This" vid:
    https://youtu.be/68oFp5LoL74

May be of interest… maybe not:
    https://youtu.be/jEvGRsvZOxA
    [Parlogram Channel take]

Would think after all these decades, couldn't/wouldn't have even more respect for the band; then this rockin' live in the studio take takes me to another level of admiration.

WoW

2. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

Great example of the lads musical skill and tightness as a band. Working hard for their craft. I love this track.

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I'm inclined to agree with Parlogram and the 'actual speed' version is too fast. It just doesn't seem natural

tagomago, JFS3, sonnyrock and 16 others like this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It seriously just sounds sped up

5. Mickey2

Mickey2 Senior Member

I have to agree that the supposed "actual speed" version sounds much too fast to believe Paul and especially Ringo were playing at that speed. Whether it was actually a slightly slower speed (as the video suggests) or overdubbed at a slower playback speed is up for debate perhaps (depending on the multitrack tape contents).

Aftermath, JFS3, mastaflatch and 3 others like this.
  6. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Ringo is even more himself than i ever gave him credit for, right from the first tom fill

7. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Just as I think this ‘actual speed’ version sounds too fast, I’m surprised not many people talked about the instrumental of “Back In The USSR” on the White Album set being too slow. Perhaps both are right but I doubt it.

“Rain” is probably my favorite Beatles tune, and I do enjoy how it sounds in Bb, but the key of A would be more natural. Way too fast for Bb. Now if it was regular released speed in Bb, that’d be a really cool version.

john lennonist and 7solqs4iago like this.
  8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

One thing is for sure: the bass was overdubbed with the tape running slower, that's why it sounds so virtuoso-on-the-run on this actual speed version. They should have mixed it out for this version. Everything else sounds legit to me.

9. bobellis75

bobellis75 Forum Resident

I have listened to this several times in a row.... And the first couple listens, I thought "this is sped up". But I think upon furhter listens, my initial reaction to it (that it sounded sped up), is just because it's jarring to hear at that speed versus what I have known for years and years. I don't think I agree with some of the comments that these guys (Ringo/Paul) couldn't play at this speed. These guys are pros, and can certainly play fast. I dunno. I keep going back and forth a little bit...but after I listened a few times, I thought, this is certainly doable by this band. Maybe I'm wrong.

10. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

besides our ears, there's no grounds to doubt this, with bass dubbed in...

it is too fast and they can't keep it up the whole time

amazing at any speed :D

11. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

It is what it is. :agree::agree::agree:

7solqs4iago likes this.
  12. SinnerSaint

If you watch & listen to the Giles interview [link previous provided], you'd know the actual reason behind it supposedly sounding 'too fast'.

"Too smart" actually!

13. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I think McCartney was totally capable of playing his part at the fast tempo. But that being said, I don't think he did. The articulations themselves sound sped up. But even more damning is that the isolated bass track, when played in the final (roughly) G key speed, reveals him accidentally hitting an open low E right at 2:22 here:

So if an accidental low E is heard while he's playing in G (the eventual released key pitch), it wouldn't make sense for him to have played it up in the fast Bb version.

Although, the humorous irony of these endlessly mysterious trivialities is that, if he did record it in Bb at the fast tempo, the only way he would have accidentally hit a low G (no longer E due to the higher pitch) is if he had a capo on the bass. And who the hell uses a capo on the bass?

[​IMG]

D'oh!

14. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

That makes sense actually.

john lennonist and tug_of_war like this.
  15. Mickey2

Mickey2 Senior Member

I understand all that, and I can buy that the guitars were played faster in order to produce the heavier sound when slowed down. What I don’t buy is that Paul and Ringo played at that speed because what they are playing is much more intricate and challenging to do at that speed unlike simply strumming guitar.

Monasmee and DK Pete like this.
  16. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Exactly,I've said for weeks on forum and another this actual speed version isn't natural, not because they couldn't play it that fast (and so what if they couldn't, musicianship isn't a speed competition!) but because like other's have said it sounds speeded up. Apple/Giles are pulling the wool over our eyes!
    It's pure Benny Hill! Both the track and the claim!

17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Oh well, I guess we have something to talk about with this otherwise truly boring new release

lordcat, The Beave and Cronverc like this.
  18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

:laughup:

19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

We’re still on page 1

20. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I think Andrew from Parlogram is correct that The Beatles probably didn't tune their guitars to correct pitch. I'll bet when they tuned before the fast take, it was probably pitched somewhere between A and Bb. And the muso remix engineers figured it HAD to be Bb! But it ain't!

DK Pete and Revoxy like this.
  22. SinnerSaint

Qs
    It's "Take 5"; when did they overdub, therefore change Take 5?
    Have you heard Take 5 with slower bass & drums?
    [if so a link would be great to hear thanks]

23. SinnerSaint

Proof Please:
    OK
    The Beatles studio sessions notes are available, direct us to the overdubbing of bass & drums on Take 5.

Were the bass & drums overdubbed together or separately?

After Take 5 was recorded, what date were the bass & drum overdubbed?

Have you heard the original Take 5 without the bass & drum overdubbed?

Why would Apple & Giles want to "pull the wool over our eyes" about Take 5? What is the benefit of Giles lying about Take 5?

Appreciate you confirming your suspicions.

richierichie, DK Pete and bobellis75 like this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The youtube video of the song playing in A rather than B flat is convincing enough.
    Another comical mistake by Giles and crew on a Beatles reissue. "Rain (Take 5) original speed" is at the wrong speed, 5% too fast.

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have to agree with this; fast as it is, it still sounds natural while the version in the box set simply sounds ridiculously fast. Someone made a mistake somewhere, IMO.