Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Queen is an amazing four piece, the collective creativity, chemistry and all, but I can only imagine either it being a film about the band or a film about Freddie Mercury. If Freddie is the one central figure, I doubt if anyone watching it will much care about the other three. Worst case would be it glossing over other relationships in Freddie's life in favour of the ones within the band. The picture I get is that the four of them had private lives outside the band's sphere and that's where the meat of the drama is.

Besides, the less the film spends showing the stage persona the better, I think. No one could replace Freddie Mercury on the stage, so it would come off a pale imitation.

Max Florian likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is there a clip? thought we had a clip.
    [​IMG]

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I recall one of the remaining band members, possibly May, commenting that Cohen was far more interested in the sensational aspects of his life, so I expect the feeling was mutual that he leave. I also recall Cohen making a comment about Freddie's life and in particular mentioned the parties he threw with little people walking around with trays full of cocaine. I definitely got the impression he was more interested in showing the more sensational parts of his life. To me it would not be a stretch to believe the Cohen was taking a far more one sided approach to the story.

Although, I have to agree with Cohen, if it true, regarding a script including a large part showing the band continuing after his death. That does not sound like a good idea.

4. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Little people with trays of cocaine? Sign me up....

Jack Lord, budwhite and eddiel like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would absolutely pay to see that.

lightbulb, The Hermit and budwhite like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Back before the AIDS epidemic, the sound and lighting company I used to work for did sound and effects every year for a huge gay dance called Steppin' Out. The host was the owner of the Continental Baths, a huge bear known to everyone as "Critter". If I take what I remember of those completely insane parties, add the money that Freddie Mercury had from Queen, and figure that what I saw at the low end of the debauchery scale simply because what I witnessed was in relatively conservative Kansas City...yeah, I can totally see it.

7. Freddie's rise to Rock God & ensuing debaucherous lifestyle IS the movie. That screenplay would be killer. But I suspect we'll get a watered-down PG-13 kind of movie instead. Too bad, as the truth about Freddie's life would make for a fascinating bio-pic.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

True. But I wouldn't trust Cohen to do a good version of that as I think he'd have a tendency totally ham it up and perhaps with very little balance. I don't think anyone who knew him would really want to be associated with a film that leaned far to heavily on that side. You'd have to have a balance.

Unfortunately, I expect that you are correct in that it will be watered down and in the end we won't have any balance anyway.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Lownote30 and 905 like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I've seen their Live Aid performance a million times, and that's uncannily close to the real thing. Choreographywise, I mean; I know we're hearing the actual Live Aid performance in the above clip.

905 likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The band members should been told stay out of it were going this book..
    etc. don't like piss off.. especially touring with adam lambert he's not
    Freddie.. ! learn to let go.. please..

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The RS article covering that fan shot video mentions that the film covers up to Live Aid. So if they planned on covering the time after his passing, they either changed their minds or never intended that to begin with.

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

15. Mad The Swine

Mad The Swine Well-Known Member

this film is cursed maybe they should just wrap it up

ShardEnder likes this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love how people are complaining about this before it comes out. :rolleyes:
    If this turns more people on to Queen what is the harm? Also, Freddie had really interesting life so it would make a great movie especially since Queen is involved with it.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Does no-one actually believe in the rule of law anymore? Is it just 'Trial by Twitter'. Singer has not been convicted of anything and if people make allegations then they are not proven if the person does not have a chance to defend themselves. Two wrongs don't make a right.

18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Here's a victim who also appears in the documentary "An Open Secret":

19. Did this guy report it to police and have charges laid? Until then, it's all talk. Too many people are going for the "trial by media" these days because their cases amount to little.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They should have just stuck with the Borat guy.

21. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm torn about the Bryan Singer thing. On one hand, he allegedly had proof that he was nowhere near Hawaii when the incident supposedly happened, but on the other hand, there's the Apt Pupil controversy.

BTW, we better make sure this thread doesn't go down the rabbit hole, the same way the Louis C.K. thread did.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Max Florian likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm always curious, when this sort of thing happens, who will get credit as director?

It appears Ron Howard is going to take screen credit for the Han Solo movie (and it seems as though the departed directing duo on that film wouldn't want their name on Howard's product anyway).

Zack Snyder's name remained on "Justice League" even after the reshoots. Again, it seems everybody was on board with keeping the credit that way.

It appears this Singer movie was closer to completion in terms filming than "Han Solo", but not as far along as "Justice League" was (essentially all principal work done; just with a lot of reshoots to go).

I can't imagine this Singer film being shelved forever if it was so close to completion. Might this film end up with whatever is a modern equivalent of an Alan Smithee credit?

23. It depends on how close to completion it is, what happens in editing, and how Singer feels about the end product. There are some fairly rigid rules laid down by the (IIRC) Director's Guild as to the circumstances you can substitute a Smithee credit or claim a credit on a movie substantially directed by someone else. My guess is Singer will still get the credit, with whoever is brought in getting a lesser credit of some sort.

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. I've seen quite a few articles recently making reference to union representatives having to be brought in because of Bryan Singer supposedly attacking Rami Malek in particular, and after having his name brought up so many times for similar reasons, including disappearing from set (often to leave regular cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel in his place to direct), I'd be very surprised if a major studio gives this guy any further work - there's even been talk of his company, Bad Hat Harry Productions, closing its offices at Fox.

Following the sheer number of personnel changes associated with this movie, I'd prefer if Brian, Roger and their manager just gave up the idea altogether. Even if the film is completed, it would do a disservice to Freddie by ending with Live Aid, but then it would have a similar effect by trying to continue on beyond his death, giving the impression this was merely a small obstacle for the other members of Queen to overcome. Really, can't QPL just be satisfied with putting together a definitive documentary using archive footage and talking heads?

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That's already been done. Champions Of The World, from 1995:

From the DoRo team that were the kings of Queen video releases in the 1990s and early 200s.

ShardEnder likes this.