Randy Newman new album of original material "Dark Matter" (08/04/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Another outstanding song is Sonny Boy. Musically it s vintage Randy Newman-as good as anything from Sail away or Good Ole boys. Lovely arrangement,great melody and sheer multilayered earcandy. The story of Sonny boys 1:s unfortunate life is brilliantly told,funny tragic and with a twist.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I got to hear the album a few months ago and thought Sonny Boy was really good. Also enjoyed She Chose Me & Wandering Boy.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Wonderful album to start with if you are not familiar with Mr. Newman. I wasn't expecting to see another album from him so this has been a great surprise.

Bemagnus likes this.
  4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

OK - my take on Randy Newman's masterwork, Dark Matter.

I did want to sit out and read others' opinions, but I'm not waiting any longer for the vinyl before my take:

Dark Matter - the entire piece, is wonderful. I love it - it's a unique piece of art in a day and age where it's so hard to fine a total piece that is just unique and everyone has given their all.

And there's a lot to love here, much is "challenging" and I knew upon release that "The Great Debate", the album opener, was going to start a big divide - not about the content - but those who like their tight, melodic Newman, and those who embrace a challenge who may ultimately be rewarded greatly for. And yeah, read the thread - and you see it. That's cool though. Expected, and I understand.

Both are "correct" views, but I was concerned that "The Great Debate" was going to be the best illustration of the "Narrative" Newman, which is nothing new - but throw too many off who haven't perhaps appreciated the real layer here - Randy finally, COMPLETELY bringing in what he would feel is his "best" and most "important" art form - film scoring.

"The Great Debate" flows so well in tandem with his growth and peak as a film composer.

Dark Matter is Randy at the TOP of his game in terms of arranging and orchestrating. It's gorgeous and he employs so many devices - and the orchestra (all named in credits with their respective instruments - as Randy respects his musicians greatly - and you can feel the love come back at him - this record is meant to be listened to on a hi-fi IMO - big - you can do it too without hurting your ears - well mastered for 2017 by Bob Ludwig - not an ear bleeder at all).

You can feel the love come back at him with that orchestra. Anyone who knows the score to Toy Story 3 knows this album is an extension of his peak in musical story telling as a film composer.

Cues are often "fits and starts" but all works for a piece.

Randy creates his own movie scene here. He's doing the directing this time. NOTHING here is lazy - the opposite - he created quite a world with "The Great Debate" and my one minor "complaint" if you can call it that, is that the "Narrator" is not really a Narrator . I'm just having some trouble "visualizing" exactly WHAT Randy, the Narrator is supposed to be... a showman? No - narrator? Not really - he's... kind of a Family Feud game show host at times?... the "Newman" who creates the strawmen - well that voice I "get". Anyway, it's really wonderful, but it took several listens to appreciate it en total. Again, I was just concerned that it would scare off the uninitiated are those who (rightfully, also) expect a one-piece opener. Not a short film. But we DID get a short film - as close as Randy has ever gotten without directing actors.

SO... since Randy's studio albums are not songs "you eat potato chips listening to"... this is a heavy, heavy meal right off the bat.

So for those who want to warm into this record with some catchy melodies, I recommend starting with Side B (assuming there will be one!... no kidding, vinyl coming soon).

"Sonny Boy" is classic Randy - Randy's way smarter than I am, so its hard for me to put into words - but this is a perfect example of Randy shuffling along but using 2 more "musical moments" to illustrate the song. Like "Blue, Blue Morning" inserted into "New Orleans Wins the War".

We get the easy-going Randy shuffle, brassy showmanship, and blues from heaven! The story itself is perfect Newman Historical Fiction. I am so thrilled with this song. How it's told, and musically. Perfect. "Brothers" is similar, but more "narrative". Bobby Boy telling his older brother about (what will be "The Bay of Pigs"), the importance of Cuba, while JFK, in my mind, is looking out the oval office... but his mind goes to... "oh, no.." HA. We gotta save Celia Cruz. He loves her in "good way" :D

But "Brothers" is another mini-meal after "The Great Debate" so again, I say start with Side B if you want to warm into the record rather than eating the heaviest meal first.

"Lost Without You" - it's heart-wrenching. The melody meanders a bit but comes right back. Really amazing. I picture it as the same dad in "My Country" - just 20-25 years on. And this is where we are today. SO moving, so on-point. If it embarrasses you, I don't care.

"Putin" - still dig it. Fits really well in the record, and although many have misinterpreted it, it's just a goof on any "big man" in charge putting out "vacation photos", showing off as a man of the wild, type thing. But then, let's not forget, "in private", Putin' real lament is that his resorts are **** compared to Greece, or any number of countries. The Putin Girls: Randy and his female shout-back chorus - love them! Now all over the album, he used the device for "Shame" and other songs we now love (that reminds me, buy Bad Love - let's get those sales up to 1,000 moved, huh?).

Randy honors what so many have been asking for - "the complete" Monk theme. Many people have asked me if there was a full song - told them Randy was set to write 1 minute of music and he writes 1 minute. You can grab that "minute" off of his 2005 Anthology 2 piano book done with Michael Roth (who also must be mildly amused at how Randy has recently described revisiting "She Chose Me" which also appears in Anthology 2 for a reason - let's just let that piece of historical fiction he said in Pitchfork be the "real story" - at least we're amused by it and Michael Roth himself just knows it isn't true, but whatever - his version condenses 30 years into a blurb - he's already thanked "that fan" (not me) many times over the years. And most recently, for "She Chose Me" specifically). And that fan still won't "be rich" when he dies as he wrote in the liners of the Guilty box set :D

Cop Rock has been ripe with greatness for a long time - "He's Guilty" is Randy-gospel in a court room - it won an Emmy even, I think (not googling while writing this). I know many of us love Randy Gospel (oh, yeah BUY Faust, please - his lonnnnnngest piece of work in terms of years and amount of material and effort he put in).

I'm thrilled with "It's a Jungle Out There" (V2) - the new chord changes, the "on the line" lyrics - "see a man in uniform do exactly as they say... or make a run for it!... (I'm only kiddin' with you..)" - I mean, he covers his ass while making quite a statement IMO. Now it's a full complete great song.

"On the Beach" - if I had to pick favorites on this album, and its silly because I love it all for different reasons, I'd probably put this and "Sonny Boy" as my favorites. Melodic, rolls along and has the feel of walking Coney Island at the early part of the century... his lady with an umbrella over her head in my mind... but he's singing about Venice Beach more likely. Treats it from "afar" - he's still the guy in the red jump suit who looks kinda funny - but he's detached (or maybe feels a bit) for what Willie's life has been and become. We get that "Randy cares" feel again, without actually doing anything - but with his own unique style of showing it. He's showing his character knows kinda what happened with his life at each stage, but his life rolled along fine... and Willie, you're still lookin' like you did back then. Very "Roll with the Punches" but not as callous. Besides being an absolute musical treat, it's challenging us again to see others differently - our "Randy" in this is no hero, but he still gives us the guilt. A true master!

I could keep going, drilling down on any song or anything, but that's my "review". Not a real review - sorry, "my take". That's my story... I'm done.

Jeff

5. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Already bought "Bad Love", "Guilty" box set, "Harps". .....bought it all. Even got the early 60's Dot single.

Somebody tell Randy, known as Mr. Newman to me, that I still want a "Newman Sings Fats Domino" album. Wouldn't mind a Christmas album either. If Bob can do it, Randy can.

Sean Murdock and Captain Groovy like this.
  6. If you haven't yet listen to his interview on Maron's WTF podcast.

GuidedByJonO))) and Reader like this.
  7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks, I will. Have I missed a link? I've been hit and miss keeping up lately.

8. Might have to skip Marons s usual 15 minute intro rants but it's great.

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Great read-Yeah I got Bad Love and each and everyone of Randys albums plus Guilty-the boxed set and a few of the scores. Been a great admirer since I first heard Sail away. Imo Dark matter is aremarkable achievment even in comparisons with his early masterworks. After a few listenings The great debate really sinks in and at almost nine minutes I still don t want it to end. Using the giraffe as a proof against Charles Darwin might be one of the funniest things Randy s ever written. Sonny boy might be my favourite but actually all of them are great. Randy makes it sound easy but I believe there s an incredible care in the making of this album. A true masterpiece really.

radiomd2000 and Captain Groovy like this.
  10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Sorry Doug - just saw this! I assume it would have been "You Better Move On" - it's one he likes and has played (even live on radio with Mark Knopfler back in the late 80s).

Like with Fats Domino, though he loves the guy, it was still the oft-played "Blue Monday" that showed up as his chosen studio version on the Fats tribute.

But the album is "complete" in every way. Ultimately, it couldn't have been a song longer IMO, and didn't need to be.

BTW, for those who want to catch Randy live, hopefully he's coming near your city, because it may be a long time he does a tour again.

I believe he's going to begin writing the score Toy Story 4 in early 2018, and he'll most likely stay off the road completely. When he's in the middle of writing a score all day and has to do a show that night, it kinda understandably messes with his head. I highly recommend catching Randy live - if you never have, it's a great, great time. Hopefully he's playing near you, or you live in Germany.

The Dark Matter album is giving me a lot of joy. I'm glad it's doing the same for many others.

His dates and links to purchase tix:

Events – Randy Newman

Jeff

Reader, soundQman and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

It may well be his best album yet,imo of course!
    Best use of an "Orchestra " since the first album
    and funny and moving and just great!

Peace and love✌
    Dave

12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Kurds & whey. LOL. No Putin girls to sing backup in the Late Show.

Beaneydave likes this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Christgau's review:

Randy Newman: Dark Matter (Nonesuch) It begins with an eight-minute playlet enacting a Godsplaining rally in the Research Triangle. It follows with five minutes of "Brothers" JFK and RFK launching the Bay of Pigs to save Celia Cruz. Then comes the four-minute "Putin" Newman put on YouTube last October. All informed and funny and painful and complex, all intricately and wittily orchestrated. But well past a dozen engaging passes I still can't guarantee how replayable they'll eventually prove, which I wouldn't say of five of the remaining six tracks, in particular two heart songs: the multivocal, jam-packed, basic-sounding 3:55-minute tour de force "Lost Without You," in which a frightened old man eavesdrops on a conversation between his kids and his dying wife, and the made-for-TV "She Chose Me," which my wife and I certified as a great pop song by feeling it personally and individually even though it's autobiographical for neither of us. Too bad "It's a Jungle Out There," the expanded theme song of Tony Shalhoub's OCD TV sleuth Monk, seems merely sarcastic. But the only way there'll be a better album in 2017 is if some genius comes up with one that unifies the Democratic Party in song from the left, only not... never mind, this is a record review. A

let him run... likes this.
  14. Beaneydave

Well here in the uk my package arrived and it's not the album but the signed print!

Peace and love✌
    Dave

15. That happened To a few of us. Print only but no LP. Not sure why they sent the print early as the LP does come out til August 18th.

16. Beaneydave

Just got an email that the LP has shipped.
    Does your print look like it was signed by a five year old;) Thank God his a better writer than he is a writer;)!

Peace and love✌
    Dave

17. My print was NOT signed but I ordered late and missed that option. That's why I was so surprised that I even got one and that is came shipped in an otherwise empty LP Box. All it is is a card stock repro of the cover and not even actual size. Oh well!!

18. Beaneydave

Sorry you missed out , other than being signed mine is the same.

Peace and love✌
    Dave

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, after stopping at five local stores and NONE of them having even one copy of Randy's new album, I finally secured a copy to hear, from my local library!

My review of what I just witnessed while listening, leaves me asking myself, a fan of his since the mid 70's, a question and that question is ..., Who knew that he had this much Randy Newman still left in him? Any real fan will understand where I'm going with my question, as I can't believe that he may have out Newman'ed himself on this album, it's THAT good! I applaud him for going for an album that is far more creative than the almost anything he has done in years, outside of the Disney/Pixar stuff. In fact, I kind of find this album to be his very own Disney/Pixar album, with him being the animated character this time around! Clearly, he must be feeling his age and felt that he needed to make at least one last standing musical statement that would stand the test of time and this album is it! I naturally welcome more like this from him, but if this is his swan song, he should be VERY proud of it, as it's a mini masterpiece for certain.

whisper3978 likes this.
  20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Your library has it? Amazing

21. Chris C

Yeah really, can you imagine that I went to five local stores and not ONE had a copy to sell (and worse yet, they never even attempt to bother to order it from the start).

NOTE TO NONESUCH RECORDS: You guys need to get some promotion behind this album right NOW!!!

whisper3978, smoke and chacha like this.
  22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It's obvious that Randy really puts work into his writing, waits until he has something significant to say and crafts the music and lyrics meticulously before releasing records. He has been self-deprecating about his own work ethic in the past, joking that he is lazy and should put out more stuff. I prefer him to do just like he has done all these years - to take his time to gestate and craft masterworks and milestones in the songs.

smoke likes this.
  23. bw

bw Forum Resident

Anyone know if the vinyl comes with a download code?

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Does anybody even work there anymore?

25. Chris C

I certainly hope so, as that building that they are housed in, is humungous! Captain Groovy should know if there is a promotional team working on this album or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.