Rare Australian rock CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ispace, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Looks like some gunrunners or drug dealers laundering their dirty money. :laugh:

Weirwolfe, Easy-E and OptimisticGoat like this.
  2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

If only had bought one of the CDs I saw 20 years ago for $1. I would gladly fly the flag for a trial to test your theory (which I agree with). If I was wrong, I would not regret it.....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

This has been going on a while....

Same people bidding and pushing price up.
    Same sellers who seem to re-advertise the same rare item that was only recently sold.

4. ispace

ispace Senior Member Thread Starter

Hmm that's interesting. Do you suspect some shill bidding is going on to create an appearance of high demand & scarcity? Those 4 Brian Mannix CDs seem to be from completely different sellers.

5. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I checked a few of these several months ago and a couple of the winning bidders later bidded on the same item again...

I always considered the electric pandas to be one of the rarest commercial releases - anywhere from $700 - $1200 AUD.

Then probably Koo De Tah - seen that as high as $380 AUD.

6. ispace

Yes I agree, I've seen both of those titles exactly once in my 30 years of CD hunting

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Yes never seen electric pandas and picked up koo de tah CD twice - that was several years ago.

ispace and OptimisticGoat like this.
  8. OptimisticGoat

1 CD or just a picture of it. Sell. Bank
    Some buyers are too young for promises and too cashed up it seems... it only takes one CD cover that never changes hands until some one bites!

Ricardo Perfecto and ukozcd like this.
  9. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Koo De Tah - first one nice condition. second one poor condition with warped water damaged booklet. Probably quite a few years apart. Unfortunately for me - Too young for promises was only decent track on there and I moved them on.

10. OptimisticGoat

Ouch! It would still not be life changing. I saw Koo de Tah about 5 years ago on line for $12o ish. But I had Too Young ... on a comp. I don’t buy to invest .... now if I had bought the Mannix for $1...... Fun fun fun ....
    Edit.: The irony of this is that not only does the CD have to be rare- there actually has to be virtually no interest in it so you control the demand. Cheap shot but Brian Mannix is a definite candidate!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Jimmy Agates, Mylene and ispace like this.
  11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've got an Uncanny X-Men CD that seems to fetch high prices on ebay (about $200 or so) but anyone paying $100 or more for a Brian Mannix CD is crazy :crazy:

The first press AC/DC CDs made in Japan go for big bucks. Never seen one in the wild myself.

Spy V Spy CDs are kinda rare, regularly fetching ~ $50 or so. I have a couple, still looking for their first CD.

Machinations CDs were getting pricey. There was a 2CD reissue a few years back that was fetching over $50 on ebay but I bought a new copy from the distributor for $28 :p

On the weekend I found a Toshiba black triangle CD of Little River Band - No Reins for $1 ... which I guess must be rare.

--Geoff

The Doga, Mondie, ukozcd and 3 others like this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Black triangles are domestic Japanese CDs, so finding one outside Japan would be unusual. However, they can be found on ebay quite easily (specific titles may be more rare and/or more in demand).

I did see The Carpenters Yesterday Once More compilationon (EMI version) on ebay recently, but I didn't realise it was very rare and much sought after.

13. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

The only completed auction that shows up for me has the 'Private' setting for bidders which is always a red flag for me. Why hide who the bidders are?

Darren Richardson likes this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I can see that happening for something expensive. Of course, it could also be a sham.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That guy sold a copy of Jo Jo Zep's Hat's Off, Step Lively on CD. I've NEVER seen that in the wild.

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I bet this will be snapped up one of those SHF members that likes to buy rare albums without ever listening to them in the hope of selling it for double further down the track. It's rare! that makes it collectible. I have no idea what the music is like but that's probably irrelevant.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The first three Ed Sheeran albums are pricey (although the first is a CDr).

18. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

There's a copy of the LP on Discogs (Brian Mannix - Brian Mannix: LP, Album For Sale | Discogs ) for about $40 Australian...can I get a finder's fee of $11,000 from whoever buys it? o_O

19. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I think I sold my copy about a year ago for about 40 bucks and I was happy with that.

Mylene likes this.
  20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

$8000 for an obscure cd by an obscure artist. And there has been quite a few of the same cd in eBay auctions recently. Are we seeing the full picture here?

ispace likes this.
  21. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Agree ridiculous especially for a band that peaked and faded quickly and is not looked upon particularly favourably. I enjoy collecting rare Oz CD's but unike Hired Goon I am not able to hunt in person these days which is disappointing.

22. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

There are some pretty crazy prices being asked for on eBay on a number of Richard Clapton CD's that are now out of print!
    I guess it is unlikely with the downturn of the CD format in the few remaining retail shops that there is little chance of many Australian artist's back-catalog's being re-pressed - certainly not on CD!?

The Doga and ispace like this.
  23. ispace

24. ispace

I think you are right. Three of the 4 sold auctions have visible bid history enabled, and the top bidders seem to be the same every time. Either some very rich collectors are building a Brian Mannix shrine or there is something suspicious going on.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I heard Richard interviewed on 3AW and he mentioned the ridiculous prices his CDs are fetching.

Dam, OptimisticGoat and ispace like this.