Rare Australian rock CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ispace, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The latter is a Denon manufactured CD. They got the matrix wrong on discogs: it's 1A1 79.

Mylene likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

There is not one CD in my Collection that wouldn’t sell for $10,000.00. If I truly loved it I’d burn a quick copy and scan the graphics before I kissed it goodbye. :)

I must not be as crazy about my collection as my wife thinks I am.

3. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

RICHARD CLAPTON “THE GREAT ESCAPE” RARE OZ CD!! **PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION | eBay

It is interesting to note this is currently at 2.99 aud with one current bidder.

That same bidder has bidded on the same CD where they and another bidder have pushed the price up to 75.00 aud

Richard Clapton CD: The Great Escape (600106/2 WEA) Mega Rare, only played once | eBay

The same bidder recently won this same CD.... ebay item number 153058175080
    (not the choirboys - it's richard clapton - the great escape)

CHOIRBOYS NEVER GONNA DIE THE Very Best REMASTERED CD NEW | eBay

And apparently the same bidder also won it back in April as well... ebay item number 173240220478

Richard Clapton The Great Escape CD RARE AUSTRALIA MUSIC AUSSIE INVESTMENT OOP | eBay

With ebay changes, the links now go to similar items for sale. You still check original listing at link on top.

ispace likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

On occasion i have bid on stuff on ebay and a couple of times i think folks have tried to bump it. I dont bite. I put in what I'm willing to pay and that's that.
    One time i got a message saying the top bidder had failed to follow up or something ... shady shady stuff

The Doga, scobb and troyvod like this.
  5. Giulio 2

Giulio 2 Forum Resident

My copy's identical to the listing on Discogs: CD 38775. I bought it when it was first released. Your copy must be a variant. I wonder whether it preceded my copy or not?

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't have a copy. The matrix on discogs is given as LAL 79, but is actually 1A1 79. Denon uses a crude dot matrix that can be hard to read.

There's a French CD that appears to be even rarer. I've never seen that CD either. I have a hard time even locating Hunters & Collectors releases.

edit: it's very hard to read that matrix on the disc in the discogs image, but it has the hallmarks of a Denon manufactured CD. I think you'll CD-38775 and 1A1 79 are on either side of the center hub.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Yeah should be 1A1

8. There was a similar situation in the US with CDs by Cowboy singer Chris LeDoux, CDs going for big $$ which eventually caused a boxed set reissue of the various titles.

9. ispace

ispace Senior Member Thread Starter

10. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Weirwolfe, D.B. and Linus like this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

12. Linus

Linus Senior Member

wbhendrix, D.B. and Mylene like this.
  13. Linus

Linus Senior Member

I saw Uncanny X-Men open for Joan Jett And The Blackhearts at the Palais and Joan got blown out of the water.
    Brian’s humour and mimicking skills are top level. The boys put on one heck of a live show. Their live presence never transferred onto vinyl well, sadly.
    Having said that, I don’t think I’d ever buy a Brian Mannix cd at any price!

Mylene likes this.
  14. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

The Groop-Best and the Rest (1988/9)

20 track best of for 60s band for their reunion tour. Released on both vinyl and CD.Years later I read somewhere that only 500 copies of the CD were pressed.Slightly different track listing,the first 2 tracks on the LP were Groop tracks but the CD substituted first 2 tracks were Brian Cadd/Ronnie Charles pre-Groop band the Jackson Kings 'Watch Your Step/Come On Now.I'm going from memory regarding the LP but can confirm the CD tracklist as I've had it since 1990.

15. Linus

Linus Senior Member

I was working at Disctronics way back then and Festival would order a minimum initial run of 500 discs for most titles and further orders of 500 if the CDs sold well.
    Blackfeather’s At The Mountains Of Madness sadly only had one initial run of 500. This is a very rare CD and a personal Holy Grail.

goodiesguy, ispace and Mylene like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Well, I better get my eyes peeled more now when I go through the cheapie Cd bins at Cash Converters....

OptimisticGoat and Mylene like this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mushroom put out weird stuff like Sid Rumpo and three Matt Taylor CDs. The Sherbet CDs had full page ads in the street press but disappeared after about a week never to be reissued.

ispace likes this.
  18. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Yeah I’ve had the same thing happen to me on eBay when bidding on albums. Ended up paying over $100 for a UK mono Revolver when the winning bidder “failed to pay” after getting caught up in a bidding war. My own fault, and I learned my lesson. I no longer eBay and I don’t miss it one bit.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I mostly use Buy It Now if they've got free postage.

20. Linus

Linus Senior Member

I have the Matt Taylor CDs plus Models Cut Lunch, AlphaBravo, JoJo Zep’s Hats Off, Screaming Targets, Paul Kelly Manila and many other Disctronics pressings but I’ve never seen any Sherbet except for The Hits 1969 - 1984.

ispace, Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

me too. i'm not a fan of the bidding thing, it's too easily manipulated ....
    "Hey Dave, are you doing anything at noon tomorrow?"
    "no mate"
    "Cool can you get on ebay, I have rumplestiltskins greatest hits on there. It's not a real popular album, but i know there are folks that want it. if you see a bid, just keep countering and if they drop out, we'll say your finance didn't come through and they'll buy it at the inflated price..... I'll give you half the money, because I picked it up for fifty cents at a garage sale"
    "yea mate, that'd be fun. watching people squirm is awesome"
    "yea, I reckon"

or something like that

The Doga, ispace and Linus like this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I've been trying to find this CD box set for years for a few bucks, but to no luck.
    It's the most comprehensive JOK set that is long OOP, and I can't even find a cheap vinyl version....
    [​IMG]

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

What sucks about that box was it was compiled for vinyl and the CDs could have easily contained the complete JO'K.

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

JB in Camberwell got in the whole Sherbet catalogue back in the day when they used to seal CDs with yellow sticky tape. Amazingly Local &/or General is still in print. The Mushroom logo is replaced with a Warner's logo on the latest pressing.

ispace and Linus like this.
  25. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I hated that yellow sticky tape! The amount of CDs I still have with f***ing residue on them is insane!

The Doga, purple-lazy, ispace and 5 others like this.