Rare Australian rock CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ispace, Jun 25, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Right, iam getting out of vinyl tonight and selling all my Australian CD's!

OptimisticGoat and croquetlawns like this.
  2. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

I have a lot of those....I may have to get capitalising. Although that High Voltage CD looks fake with that image on it. Mine is very different.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hard to tell without seeing the matrix. 90's D.A.T.A.'s did have a 'cheap' look to them. Looks legit just by the way the disc data is 'separated' with a wide outer band.

ispace likes this.
  4. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Billy Thrope - Children of the Sun (original mix)

I want a copy but I'm not willing to loose a kidney :(

deredordica likes this.
  5. ispace

ispace Senior Member Thread Starter

Image for posterity:
    [​IMG]

Haha I agree about the D.A.T.A. discs looking cheap. I have always avoided them when shopping.

I don't think I've ever seen that Goanna Oceania CD for sale on eBay or in real life.

I wish Richard Clapton's label would look at these auction results & do a repress or, even better, CD reissues with bonus tracks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    croquetlawns and c-eling like this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I thought I scored when I found The Best Of ABBA and ABBA Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (RCA no bar code CD's) for $8 each in Lawsons records a few years ago.... Only to find that every track has the first couple of seconds missing :(!!!!

Probably a bit late to ask for a replacement! I presume these are quite rare (as original buyers would have taken them back and asked for a refund) but worthless?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    deredordica, croquetlawns and ispace like this.
  7. ispace

Better screenshot (link)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  8. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

I mean the Angus image on the disc itself.,,mine is a black alberts disc.

9. Ah, my current least favourite topic.

All I can say is, if anyone has a copy of Stevie Wright's albums on CD then contact me to discuss a trade.

It is a pity most of these cost so much. There's quite a few I'd like to have. Oh, well, if I look hard, I can probably find an old scratchy record. And most of these I'd just like to hear.

10. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Yeah, Disctronics screwed up big time on those!!
    I humbly apologize- I was the Quantity Assurance manager at the time. The mastering dept got the PQ encoding wrong - neglecting to allow for a 2 second offset when cutting the stampers.

11. ispace

You could try this French 2019 CD reissue of Black Eyed Bruiser, but my one experience with that label's CD reissues was horrible (DR6!!).

12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've got that Goanna CD ... found it in the $1 bins a few years ago. I've always liked the first couple of songs, but for $400+ I'd be willing to live with just my scratchy ol' LP :laugh:

--Geoff

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Personal choice. This CD is unique in that it uses "processed" stereo versions rather than the original mono like all the more modern CD's. I think it sounds very odd compared to the original and later releases, Pink Floyd must agree with me as they put a stop to this CD.

Platterpus and croquetlawns like this.
  14. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

. That’s great luck for the seller - until they get the invoice. I’ve been selling some rarer Aussie titles myself and they do generate some interest. We would have to do is take a few screenshots of those discs above and it have a pretty good idea of what to look for. Mind you, the chances of finding most of those used are fairly low. I’m looking forward to when the thrift shops open again after lockdown in Melbourne.
    Unfortunately, a few other collectors will also be hitting them as well. That’s the nature of the game I suppose. It’s who gets in first.

I suppose the only saving grace of the whole thing is that it never turns violent.
    Well, it hasn’t yet anyway....

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Don't hold your breath. I was looking forward to op-shops opening again after our first lockdown. When a few opened up again, I was excited to check them out, and found that they weren't taking donations during lockdown. It also appeared that the staff had a big clearouts, because there appeared to be a lot less stock than before shutdown. Somehow a lot of rubbish disks remained on the shelves though. Then, after a few days, we went to stage-4 lockdown. I don't expect to be able to find any gems immediately when/if they open again.

[FYI for those in other places, in Melbourne Stage-4 lockdow, we have an evening curfew, can't travel more than 5km without a permit, have to work from home, only allowed to travel to work in essential jobs or to buy food get medical treatment or caregiving, and need to wear a mask whenever out. We hoped restrictions would end now after a couple of months, but it's been extended, with possible longer extensions if the covid numbers don't decrease.]

blutiga, ispace and croquetlawns like this.

16. AXIS? Oh my GOD do NOT get me started ..... too late, here I go!

Recently I have found some Australian EMI CD releases to be bloody awful. I have three CD's that look like a typical 2005 remasters: Johnny Farnham's "Greatest Hits" from 1981, issued on CD in 1988 on AXIS, The Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" compilation from 1970, also issued on CD in 1988 on AXIS, and a chart hits compilation caled "Yo!.....Let's Go!" from 1991. They always sounded "wrong" to me but I could never figure out why until I put them in my computer. I then sang "I see green, I see green, I see green!"

When I found it, I bought "Good Vibrations" in the hopes it would have the "four endings" version of "Barbra-Ann" on there, which it did.

I have a CD called "Hits Of '89 Volume 1" with 17 songs where at track 5 the volume jumps up so that almost every beat clips until normal volume is resumed for track 17. I honestly believe this one is a case of somebody accidentally bumping a button during cutting the glass master. Although, on that note, my copy of "The John Lennon Collection" (1982, issued on CD in 1989) is loud to the extent that a lot of the peaks hit the top. "(Just Like) Starting Over" sound better on the 1988 "Imagine" soundtrack CD. These two CD's are not "brickwalled" by any extent of the imagination, but are on the loud side.

These CD's were all made by EMI Australia - in fact, all but the John Lennon one were exclusive to the Australian market, so they were all mastered locally. I do have CD's from EMI Australia that sound fine. But not these ones .....

The Doga, ispace, Platterpus and 2 others like this.
  17. c-eling

Couple 'better looking' DATA's :laugh:
    Billy Idol-S/T, uses the excellent old Euro/German mastering.
    Little River Band-Diamantina Cocktail
    [​IMG]

ispace likes this.
  18. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

That's pretty crazy ispace, there must be some dedicated Aussie collectors. The price on the two Richard Clapton CD's is especially surprising.

19. ispace

I know, right!! And the silly bidders are outbidding each other throughout the auction, rather than sniping right at the end, which is the better way to do it!

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. c-eling

An interesting Disctronics manufacture-
    New Order-Low Life, contains the old Japan for UK/Europe pre-emphasis mastering, however the flag is table of contents (TOC), not SUBQ for this one.
    [​IMG]

21. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I have a Japanese "FACTORY" jewel case edition of this album.i love all "FACTORY" C.D.'S. I have quite a few.....JOY DIVISION/NEW ORDER And a few associated bands.. ANNA ANTENAE For one i believe.. .

c-eling likes this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

deredordica likes this.
  23. Linus

Linus Senior Member

The only reason I can think of is this title and Forever Now had minimum production runs. Disctronics had a minimum run size of 1000 discs, bigger clients like CBS and BMG were allowed minimum order sizes of 500. I strongly suspect both these titles were 500 orders.

scobb likes this.
  24. ispace

It’s only pricy because the seller is dreaming. There are lots of other CD issues of that album.

25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

After you sent that I looked up their other items..... "tell him he's dreamin'" springs to mind for most of their items!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020