Rare Elvis Presley CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Goodyear, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodyear

Goodyear New Member Thread Starter

I was browsing through a local used CD store today, and noticed that they had quite a few old Elvis CDs. Not being terribly familiar with Elvis' catalog, I didn't pick any up (Yes, I need to familiarize myself with Mr. Presley :) ). What I'm wondering is, are there any rare or out-of-print Elvis titles that I should look for? I'm sure there will be at least something worth picking up there. Any suggestions?

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The six volumes of the ESSENTIAL series are worthwhile music, and could probably be sold on eBay for more than your purchase price should you not like them. Three of the outtakes boxes -- COLLECTOR'S GOLD (especially the LP-sized box); A GOLDEN CELEBRATION ("The Gold Box"); ELVIS ARON PRESLEY ("The Silver Box") -- should be worth more than a used CD shop will charge.

Apparently, the genuine rarities are first-pressings that sound horrible, but are pursued by collectors. I don't have any information on them.

3. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Look for Elvis' Golden Records with "Reprocessed Stereo" on the back. It's an older CD. This is supposedly worth BIG BUCKS. I picked up a similar copy just a week ago for the heck of it, thinking it might be rare. Searching this site I find out I have the common "Mono" version. I returned it today.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

All of Elvis's 70's studio albums except Elvis Country and Moody Blue are out of print on CD. That would be titles like: Elvis Now, Elvis Today, Promised Land, Love Letters, Raised on Rock/For Old Time's Sake, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. Any of those are worth a bit on ebay I would guess.

5. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I would sure be interested in knowing what is out of print if anyone had the information handy to post here. I have been buying various Elvis stuff the past couple years and it would be great to know what to look for.

6. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I've heard that as well. I own some of the "Reprocessed Stereo" albums Elvis made in the 50s. The mono versions are much better.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

An obvious comment - snatch up any of the two gold discs that are on the DCC label.

8. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

The kicker here is the original versions of Elvis Country and Moody Blue are out of print.
    The versions that are available now include bonus tracks which weren't on the originals. Unfortunately the bonus tracks on these offer nothing new as BMG has seen fit to take some tracks off of a couple of other albums that are no longer available to round out the cd. To me this is a rip off and I much prefer to have the original albums with the original sequence and nothing more or less.

If you go to http://www.cdjapan.co.jp , you can still get Love Letters From Elvis, Raised on Rock / For Ol' Times Sake, Elvis Today, Good Times and Elvis Now for great prices for new Japanese pressings.

9. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Thanks for the information on the website! :thumbsup:

10. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

I do know the Million Dollar Quartet is out of print, at least in the US. I had to track down a European Pressing for my copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.