Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I dislike that minor chord change they added on the chorus on the album version, it doesn't smoothly go into the next part of the chorus with it and almost ruins the song for me. I like both versions about the same but agree the album version is more polished (other than that added minor chord). I've always liked the song and it's message so it gets a high 4/5 from me. Not quite top shelf Monkees, but a very enjoyable track.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Celebrated Summer and Joel1963 like this.
  2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

4.5 for the tv version, iffy singing and all. 3 for the album version, which I consider overproduced

3. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I have 3 more pages of comments to catch up to, but has it occurred to anyone the title "Writing Wrongs" is a clue to Mike's attitude about this particular number? Is he writing wrong words and wrong instrumental parts? The Monkees lost me with this album back when I was young and it was new, and I'm sure part of it was due to WW. I love Nez and I admire some experimentation. Some Beefheart is brilliant to me, but it's probably the more accessible stuff. Same with Zappa. I'd like to say WW is a fun trip, but from what I've heard of it, it's just strange without much of an interesting cohesion. And Mike's singing seems way out of wack. Just a strange track. For me.

NudieSuitNezHead, Drifter and BobT like this.
  4. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I, too, like the record version of "I'll Be Back Up On My Feet" more than the one used on the TV show. Though I could understand those who were disappointed to see that the song finally appeared on an album after being used in the TV show, and it's a different performance. Coincidentally, "Valleri" gets the same treatment.

4/5

The MEZ, D-rock, "R" Ed and 1 other person like this.
  5. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Count me as another who prefers the Birds Bees version of IBBUOMF. Micky’s vocal on this version is fantastic. One of my favorite parts of the song is the mournful guitar note before Micky sings “ you won’t have to cry” for the final time. It’s a sweet little touch on an excellent song.

4/5.

The MEZ, D-rock, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yes, I always listen for that note!

factory44 likes this.
  7. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

The sound of the cuica is all over Paul Simon's "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard", especially at the end.

8. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

I'll Be Back Up On My Feet - I like the song but am not sure which version I like better. I have the same problem with Valleri. When I purchased a cassette copy of TB, TB & TM in 1986, I was looking forward to hearing this song but was disappointed that it was different than the version used on the TV show. Both versions have their pros and cons. The TV show version drags and sounds a bit thin whereas the brass is overdone on the album version. Since I can’t decide between the two, I’ll give them both a 4/5.

The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

intv7, FJFP and Guy Smiley like this.
  10. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

11. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

My money is on Barry.

12. Guy Smiley

So, we have the cuica, which is Brazilian, and the talking drum, which is West African. They look different, but seem to sound pretty similar?

There are likely musicians here among us who can probably distinguish between the sounds made by each, but I can’t.

I would’ve called it a talking drum on “Me and Julio,” but I don’t rightly know. Looked up musician credits for that album (Simon’s self-titled) But no specific credit for either instrument.

13. Guy Smiley

I would say so too.

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I looked it up in Andrew's book, and it's Barry. The same session yielded "Laugh" and "The Day We Fall in Love" and this is the one they decide not to release?

I prefer the '66 cut but it's a good song either way.

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

5/5 for I'll Be Back Upon My Feet, one of my favourite Monkees tracks. I prefer the original TV version, but I don't dislike this one and I like the IV-IVm chord change added in the chorus. Perhaps they could have taken the best of both worlds and made a song rated 6/5 ... ?

The MEZ likes this.
  16. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Just want to say that Working My Way Back is one of my fave 4 Seasons songs. Maybe you prefer Frank Zappa or Leadbelly, but this song is a stone cold hit, and didn't rely on Valli's falsetto to deliver it.

NudieSuitNezHead and Drifter like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Back Upon My Feet has always been a favorite of mine since hearing it on the show.
    I really like the version on BBM. Also glad they added it to the live shows.

A fun song with great vocals, as always, from Micky.

5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The very thing that I dislike about it! :laugh: Also, how about that clam on the bass guitar on the second chorus on "looking high"? Surprised they didn't fix that flubbed note.

19. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for I'll Be Back Up on My Feet:

1-0
    2-3
    3-11
    4-18
    5-5

The MEZ likes this.
  20. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is The Poster:

Well, I hope the kids liked this one...

To be fair, it's not entirely without merit but it feels like rather a regression considering some of the forward steps that the group had taken on previous albums. Not to mention that some of the lyrical ideas now feel very dated and Davy singing the "it's so funny" line makes me cringe a little.

2/5.

Guy Smiley, RobRoyF and FJFP like this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

The Poster. I'm tearing this poster down. Dreck. 1/5.

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"The Poster" -- 2/5

One of the worst songs on the album. Lyrically this is lame city, the concept having been done already with a great deal of creativity the previous year on "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite". These lyrics are cringeworthy. Musically, it's pretty cheesy with the circus organ and glockenspiel. The chorus is interesting enough to save it from being a 1.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  23. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

5/5. Love this Davy number, and I really dig the organ and drums especially.

I give out a lot of 5’s. Hey, I just love their music!!

Wil1972, sean4554, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  24. Class of '74

Class of '74 Forum Resident

The Poster - 1/5

25. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The Poster Inspired by Edith Sidebottom, from what Davy said. It does it's job of conveying a feel for a circus. It is a ripoff of Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite. Davy does a good job singing it, and the music is pretty good. I would give it a 2.5/5, so it will round up to a 3/5.

Wil1972 and Hadean75 like this.