Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is She:

We move on to the second album and by the time of its release Boyce and Hart had both departed the scene. I think the importance of this can sometimes be overlooked when discussing the history of the group. Kirshner now had even more control with Jeff Barry taking on the role of main producer. I wonder whether choosing this Boyce and Hart song and placing it at the start of the album was partly an attempt by Kirshner to have some continuity from the first LP. Of course, the fact that it had appeared in the TV series may have played a part too.

Either way, another fine vocal from Micky and an excellent high-energy way to kick things off. It makes me wish that more Boyce and Hart songs had been included (and there were another 12 to choose from!!!).

A strong 4/5.

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"She" has been one of my favorite Monkees' songs from the time I was a little kid. Micky sings it great, the background vocals sound delightfully off, and i love the actual instrumentation. Just an awesome classic Monkees' song. 5/5

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    joy stinson and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

One of The Monkees best songs and great vocals by Micky. Should've been released as a single.

She 5/5

4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Loved it a lot more when I was a kid. I guess it has been kind of played out for me too much. Still, I will give it 4/5.

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

5/5 - one of my favorites early on after discovering the TV show in 1974. Still think it’s great.

6. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Great opener, a fun one to sing along to

4/5

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

She - good. 4/5

8. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I have mixed feelings about 'She'. It's a good song, and it sounds great in the running order on the Refocus compilation from 1972 (aka Best of The Monkees 1974/81, and The Monkees' Greatest Hits 1976). But, for me, it fails as the opening track on More of The Monkees. Although an excellent song with a nice distictive guitar part and good lead/backing vocal interplay, it's a grim opening for an album with no sense of direction (but several other good songs). (No numerical rating from me - I haven't really got the hang of them.)

9. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

3/5. Pretty good song. Don't like the background vocals. Never have.

10. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The backing vocals are indeed kind of crappy but I love the garage stomp and Micky absolutely nails the vocals. 4/5.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

She - 5/5
    While More of the Monkees can be uneven, it has an excellent start.

12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Gonna be some interesting ranges of opinion on this album.

Also, no “Propinquity” yet? I love the acoustic demo Nez did, that’s been included with expanded editions of the first album. That would’ve been an easy 5/5 for me.

No worries, as I am sure that song will be featured eventually.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. Guy Smiley

While I wouldn’t want an entire album of Boyce/Hart songs, they wrote some gems and “She” is one of them. Not my favorite song on the album, and not the best Boyce/Hart song on it either, but another nice slab of garage pop-rock. Micky, as always, sings the hell out of it. Always loved “... and then she fed me dirt!”

Very simple song, with simple parts, but it’s catchy (Especially the organ riff) and I’m pretty sure I can hear Davy and Peter on backing vocals. It’s a Monkees classic. Strong 4/5.

14. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I don't really care for She. Having said that, I have to give it a 4/5 as there is something about it that deserves more than the average song. And I wouldn't get a Monkees greatest hits album unless it was on the album.

15. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Great garage song! Killer guitar for any pop-rock album from 66-67' .. Micky's phrasing fits so well ..
    Highlight for me in the 2011 tour.

super sally likes this.
  16. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

I'm afraid don't like this album very much. She is a good opener, though. Great lead vocal by Micky, and this time background vocals, though wobbly and "old", somehow suit the arrangement better than on the debut IMO. 4/5

17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Cool song, but second tier: 4/5.

18. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, we can discuss it when we get to the Nashville sessions.

19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

She, just falls short of greatness. Not bad at all, and one of the better tracks on this album. I think 3/5 is fair.

20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

She

3/5 It's a decent song, but it has never appealed much to me. I usually tend to skip it.

21. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

"She" is a very good opening track and one of the best songs on the LP. While I, along with many other fans and originally the Monkees themselves, have said negative things about this album, more than half the songs, to me, are top notch. Two Boyce and Hart tracks, including one of the best B sides in music history, two Nez gems - one sung by Micky and covered by many, two excellent Neil Diamond tunes as well. Add the Goffin and King track and you have 60% great tunes. Unfortunately the others are weak or just plain bad to me and then there was the whole releasing it without the guys knowledge, etc. At least those two bonus tracks didn't make it, there would have been no improvement there.

22. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

IMO one of the *best* tracks the Monkees ever released and -- by far -- the best opening track on any Monkee's album (closely followed by You Told Me).

5/5

If I could give it more points, I would.

(For the album overall -- it's much, much better overall than the debut. The highs are super high and the amount of clunkers is substantially reduced.).

D-rock likes this.
  23. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

She is a Monkees classic. The guitar and Micky’s vocal are stellar.

5/5.

24. Guy Smiley

Ah... This idea I like.

marmalade and 905 like this.
  25. BZync

BZync Senior Member

She - This supports The Monkees as garage band perspective. The hit singles tend to be polished, well produced pop songs - but many of the album cuts, particularly the Boyce & Hart penned songs are presented in a garage band manner. That's one of the reasons why The Monkees are so difficult to place within the context of 60's rock. As a pop band they were very hit and miss. But they were a pretty great garage band. Or, perhaps, Boyce and Hart were a great garage band with The Monkees as rotating singers. Within the context of The Monkees as purely a garage band, I'd give She a 5/5. But, within the larger context of The Monkees as a 60's pop band, it's a 4/5. It's fun and catchy but it's no Clarksville.
    I like the cheesy 60's organ. Another stellar vocal from Micky. He invests a lot of emotion into a garage level song. Structurally, this is a pretty sophisticated song. There's the verse which is pretty straightforward. Then there's the "why am I standing here" part followed by the "hey" breakdowns with the rapid fire "I'm better off alone" vocals. The bridge starts off very smooth with the "and now I know" part but veers into unexpected territory with "but I love her" and the response vocals. That's a lot of "bits" for a two minute song. Good one.