Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

If I Knew:

Appropriate title... Why do I have no recollection of this song?

That’s not a bad thing, really. This song’s OK. Not one I’ll be actively seeking out, but when I play tracks from Present (Been a while) I’ll likely include this one. Better than the usual Davy ballads that generally aren’t my thing. This one works. 3/5.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Beatmusicfan, RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  2. Guy Smiley

Yeah. I can see some of these later Micky songs/vocal stylings may not work for everyone. But, again, Micky’s written a quirky, offbeat song that I find myself enjoyable. Not Micky’s best by a long shot, but I think it’s catchy. 3/5.

Four songs in, I’m enjoying this album more than Instant Replay at the same point. Not necessarily going to stay that way, but there’s still at least a couple of good songs (And some not so good ones) to come.

RobRoyF, Chip TRG and The MEZ like this.
  3. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye"

Another one I'm hearing for the first time. While "Little Girl" worked very well as a strange, restrained kind of song, this one doesn't. It's a bit all over the place and the vocals are grating in parts. It could possibly grow on me but at the moment I can't see past 2/5.

BobT likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm such a Monkees freak. There isn't a song released, unofficially released, rarity, etc. that I haven't heard or remember exactly. Can someone listen to The Monkees too much ... ?

j_rocker, FJFP, RobRoyF and 4 others like this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Definitely not!

j_rocker, D-rock, DaveJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The song's kind of a misfire but I really like where Micky's head was at around this time. He definitely wasn't following any sort of previously set template, that's for sure. Jazzy bluegrass set to a vaguely Native American-sounding rhythm? It didn't really work but it's not like anybody else had ever tried it, right? So now we know.

A high two, that I'll round up to...

3/5.

7. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I really enjoy the backing track but the song just doesn't measure up. 3/5. Micky seems kinda angry, like "Midnight Train", "BBBBB" is another harsh kiss off song, unless I'm hearing the lyrics wrong. I'll have to go back to "Little Girl" and listen again, but it follows the same theme if I remember correctly

Wil1972, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  8. 905

905 Senior Member

3/5
    Not bad.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

That is basically what I have thought for all these years. The songs are similar and "Mommy and Daddy" gets a bump for the statements it makes, so Bye, Bye is a 3 and I will wait on the other when the time comes.

Drifter, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  10. Guy Smiley

You nailed it. Who writes songs like this?

But I kinda love his ballsy weirdness.

D-rock and JuanTCB like this.
  11. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I can NEVER hear enough Monkees! I’ve been listening to them since I was 2 years old in 1967, and I love them now more than ever. My first Monkees album was the Arista Greatest Hits back in ‘76. I’ve bought everything I could get my hands on since! I still vividly recall the excitement of getting the bootleg albums from Goin’ Back Enterprises in the early 80’s. Those records turned me in to a hardcore Monkeemaniac. I love hearing all the different mixes and versions and unreleased tracks. I wish we could hear EVERYTHING that’s in the vault. Every mix, every different take/version.
    That’s how much The Monkees and their music mean to me!

pablo fanques, D-rock, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

It ain't terrible but the best I can do is 2/5.

BigManRestless likes this.
  13. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye: it's got bits of melody that I like ("I'll be leaving you now..") and really cool instrumentation (esp. the bassline), but overall a bit slight 3/5

Drifter, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  14. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye
    Not a favorite. I never seek this one out. This song does remind me of something some friends might sing around a campfire with an acoustic guitar. It would probably be relatively easy to learn the chords for this track. Just some random thoughts. Best to sum it up as filler.

Thinking 2 or 3. Gonna be generous, round up!

3/5

BadJack, Beatmusicfan and The MEZ like this.
  15. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Not horrible a low 3/5. Theres def worse coming up

The MEZ likes this.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye - 3.5 which rounds up to 4/5

Always liked it. Very late-era Micky. I actually prefer it to Little Girl.

D-rock, Drifter and The MEZ like this.
  17. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

4/5. I would have never thought there'd be so many negatives for this song. To each their own! I love this song. Was one of my favorites as a kid.

D-rock, Glass Candy and The MEZ like this.
  18. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Nailed it.
    3/5 for me.

The MEZ likes this.
  19. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye - Experimental, artsy and unconventional . It’s not a song I would seek out to play independently or put on a playlist, but I wouldn’t skip it if I was listening to the album. I can appreciate the fact that it’s another Micky composition, but it’s n little too “out there” for me to really get into. I give it a 3/5.

Wil1972, JuanTCB and The MEZ like this.
  20. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Bye Bye isn’t Micky’s best, but I enjoy it. Nice backing track. And I love when Micky stacks his vocals on top of each other towards the end of the song.

3/5.

rocknrollforyoursoul and JuanTCB like this.
  21. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Bye Bye is 3/5

It’s not bad, and main thing I like is that Micky is behind it, not just singing someone else’s song

He’s an excellent interpreter of songs and reliable for giving it his all even if it’s at the direction of the record company, but i think it’s often more interesting when he lets his own personal tastes drive his contributions

The MEZ likes this.
  22. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I like the song but I don't think it works as an Opener. I think it's better as a song that brightens up the latter side of an LP, like Sweet Young Thing. After a lot of Davy and Micky, it's so nice to hear that country burst of energy rock from Mike. I do like hearing Mike at the beginning of an album as to acknowledge his leadership as a composer and performer, but I don't think this is one of those songs.

23. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Cmon guys relax and enjoy. It's an easy 5/5. And belongs on any comp.

24. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I think this is an interesting song. Let's just say that the Monkees songs that I really don't like are ones when they are very far from being experimental. Props too Mickey.

3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  25. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Without playing them I couldn't tell you how either If I Knew or Bye Bye Baby...sound. So I played them both to remind myself and all that reminded me was how unmemorable they are.

2/5 each.

Turk Thrust likes this.