Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

99 Pounds
    This song is a fun rocker. It is out of place with its earlier sound. Just like some of the other songs on Changes it suffers with having some stupid lyrics. No one really would have said 99 pounds in that context. Same problem with other songs with insufferable lyrics - Ferry Ride and Do you Feel it Too? etc Some of you already pointed this out on a few occasions.

I do try to overlook those blemishes and enjoy the music. This track is an improvement over most of the others.
    3/5

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    intv7, D-rock, The MEZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

99 really doesnt fit well on Changes but then again not much fits well on Changes. Still not terrible for an oldie from the early days of The Monkees.

eh...2/5

3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

99 Pounds- This is the wake up call after a (mostly) mellow side 1. The girl character in this song is not underweight, she is just a very small, sassy thing with an attitude to compensate for being so small (IMO). I quite like this one; the stereo version is my go to for this. One of the best songs on the album, and would not be out of place on the first 2 albums. 4/5

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

99 POUNDS is only there because Barry was scraping the barrel for his own productions....at least it seems that way.

A generous 2 of 5.

5. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

99 Pounds :

Definitely some kind of outta sight.

And a bonus point for the groovy organ solo.

4/5

6. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

2/5. Guitar sounds like a Beatle knock-off.

7. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"99 Pounds" is one of my favorite Davy songs, an above average garage style rock-n-roller. I don't usually show Davy much love but this one gets a 4/5.

8. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

99 lbs 3/5. I agree with everyone who said this sounds odd as part of the album. But I like Davy rocking out sometimes.

The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  9. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

99 Pounds:

4/5 I quite like this one. I first heard it as a Headquarters bonus track. It's a fun, upbeat rocker. A bit garage rock. Probably would have worked well on the first or second album actually.

10. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

99 lbs -- 2/5. The vocal is super-strained and that detracts a whole lot for me from this.

11. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'99 Pounds' - I like this number because it breaks up the monotony at the end of side 1 of Changes. It's a good effort, and I always love to hear Davy rocking out. 4/5

12. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

99lbs has aged terribly.

I usually like the rockers and Davy sounds ok but I don’t like it.

“One”

13. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Nice collection - my Monkees' collection is primarily limited to CDs and LPs. I'm very much an incompletist.

MarkTheShark and intv7 like this.
  14. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Probably so - it had no bids. Even so that would be out of my spending budget for a rare Monkees' item.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

99 Pounds

One of the better tunes on Changes.
    As was already mentioned .. Sounds outta place .. and something that has always bothered me from the very first Lp, backing vocals from someone other than a Monkee. Never understood why they did that. To me, that is what really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  16. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

99 lbs is a 5/5 rocker.

Honestly, I give 5/5 to *anything* on Changes. I didn't know the history (or the lineup changes) when I heard it - I just liked the songs. I still hear it all the same way. It ain't King Crimson, but the bubblegum soul is right in my wheelhouse.

People sure do get per-snickety about this record, and that's why I'm not taking part, really. I've no urge to watch things I enjoy get trashed while not being THAT dissimilar to the stuff on the first two albums that get constant praise.

If you like the first two albums where the Monkees mostly only sing and do what they're told, this is pretty much the third record you dreamed of.

And if not? They're just pop songs. If they raise your ire, maybe entertainment isn't for you, you know?

17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"99 Pounds" Not terrible but I don't like it much either. I don't have much to say about this song which just screams filler. 2/5

18. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I'll Be True To You from the first album was given the following marks : 1-7 / 2-15 / 3-3 / 4-0 / 5-0.

Nobody gave Gonna Buy Me A Dog a five and four people gave it a one (zero being unavailable).

I wouldn't call that "constant praise" for the first album.

And, incidentally, this thread is titled "Rate and Review the Songs of the Monkees" not "Give every Monkees song a five and shut up".

19. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I respectfully disagree that the material on Changes is much like anything on the first two albums, let alone the stuff that gets "constant praise". The manner in which it was made is irrelevant -- I'm not particularly hung up on whether they're writing or playing on the tracks when judging overall quality. What's important to me, though, is whether the songs tick the right boxes. The material on the first two albums that got praised on this thread was penned by different songwriters, like Boyce/Hart, Neil Diamond, Goffin/King -- and was well-polished '60s pop. This stuff is largely Barry/Kim bubblegum of the early 1970s, which is another ball of wax altogether. Yes, there's some good tunes on Changes, but it's not in the same league as the classic stuff, and is in a noticeably different style.

20. 99 Pounds

LOVE this song! A great opening, with the guitar lick, the scream, and that seriously cool, diving bass line. Rock 'n Roll Davy is my favorite version of him, and I think his energy and vocal on this song are great. The organ solo is awesome! This track probably should've been used in '66 or '67, as it has the garage pop feel, but even though its style is much different from the overall vibe of Changes, I have no problem with its presence here. 5/5

As an aside, I brought up this song a few pages back, wondering if any other Monkees were on backing vocals, and someone explained to me that they weren't, as this was a song that Davy cut during a New York session while the other guys were in L.A. But is this version from Changes the same as what's on the Headquarters Sessions album? If they're different, could the other Monkees be on the HQS version?

21. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

99 Pounds is not on Headquarters Sessions, but it is on the 2 CD deluxe of that album, due to the NY Davy-only sessions taking place during the early stages of planning and recording a third Monkees album.

D-rock and rocknrollforyoursoul like this.
  22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This song doesn't belong on an album from 1970. Just another example of how half-baked the whole project was at this point.

But yeah, 99 Pounds sounded dated when it was recorded. 2/5.

Guy Smiley and Two Sheds like this.
  23. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

99 POUNDS

Even when I got the old Rhino vinyl copy of CHANGES - before the recording information was given to the public, I could tell it sounded older than the songs that preceded it.

That being said, it's not a bad track. It does have a rockin feel to it. The lyrics are okay..and though it's a little out of his range, Davy sings it well enough.

3/5

D-rock, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  24. 905

905 Senior Member

3/5
    Fun rocker from the early days.

D-rock, The MEZ and Guy Smiley like this.
  25. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

99 Pounds - I’ve liked this song since I first heard it on a cassette copy of the Changes album. The production definitely sounds thin, the backing vocals are too high in the mix and Davy is straining his vocal range, but I do like a garage band rocker like this. It sounds out of place on the album, but it breaks the monotony up. While the chances of it were slim, it would’ve been nice to see it reworked at some point. It would’ve been better with more on the bottom end or maybe even Micky singing lead. As it is, I still like it despite its flaws. I give it. 4/5.