Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Never Enough - 3/5

For not being a lead guitar player by nature, Nez does a fairly credible job here and elsewhere on the album. It's a classic case of suiting the song and not overplaying. The bluesy bends in the final choruses are really enjoyable.

I would agree that the tempo could have been "goosed" a bit. I like the "Hot Take" more. Nice vocal/build by Micky and bass playing by Peter. A good transition from Circle Sky and it starts probably the run of my three favorite songs on the album.

2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Was gonna type of a bunch of stuff, but you summed my feeling up nicely. While this really doesn’t sound “Monkees” to me, it does sound pretty good (In a 90s rock style). This is easily one of the best songs on Justus, although think I’d like it even better without the backing vocals when they come in around the 2:00 mark. It sweetens it a bit too much for my liking. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Angry song, if you’re paying attention, and that seems so not “Monkees” too, but perhaps that was the point. Micky could show some contempt, on occasion, in the 60s (The snarling sarcasm in the chorus of “Randy Scouse Git,” and certainly “Mommy and Daddy” too), so it’s not entirely surprising.

Anyone else snicker at the “fill your loving cup” line? Sorry... My mind goes to the gutter every time I hear it.

Solid 4/5 for “Never Enough.”

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

If only the songs were as good, start to finish as HQ1.

I need to listen to this a little more (Thank you, Apple Music) but while I admire the effort, and I think the sound/production is much better than Pool It or the 1986 songs, most of the songs here just aren’t as good, or fun, as HQ.

HitAndRun and ARL like this.
  4. I actually prefer the guitar sound on the remake and thing it gives it a nice kick. Overall, I give the remake more than most folks 4/5. Sorry it’s late.

As to the other songs this is probably one of Davy’s better albums as a writer. Micky checks in with some solid songs as well. I was disappointed that there were not more songs from Mike. Peter likewise has the one outstanding track. He wasn’t as prolific as the others but when he had a song it was usually great.

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Never Enough 4/5

One of my favorites from the album. I think there was another solo version on Micky's Demoiselle CD. I'd have to look it up. Thinking the Justus version is my favorite even if it's a little too sterile and extra carefully played.

Grand_Ennui and The MEZ like this.
  6. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I agree that this is a solid rock track. It's not that special, and the arrangement is basic. I think the ending is the best part of it, and it hints that they could have taken this song longer. But, as others have mentioned the 'garage' feel is appropriate. This is never going to be one of my favourite Monkees songs, but it ends well. It's likeable.

3/5

Grand_Ennui, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  7. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Never Enough is 3/5

It’s a solid track and agree about the tone of Micky’s songs in this album, they all seem to be out of his divorce

Grand_Ennui and Guy Smiley like this.
  8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Never Enough" Not one of my favorites on the album but it's not bad. Micky sounds a lot better than Mike did on the opener. I like it alright. 3/5

Grand_Ennui, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  9. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'Never Enough' is my favourite track on Justus and, in my opinion, it is up there with some of The Monkees' best from the glory days of 1967! It might not quite belong in the very top tier, but it is extremely close. The carefully contained disillusionment is delivered with precision, undergirded by a penetrative drum and guitar pattern. It's also worth highlighting the despair of the seemingly banal expression 'loving cup' as associated with the defeat of 'I don't stand a chance' - the contrast is startling.

I don't think there were any singles culled from Justus (I'd be happy to be corrected), but I really think this should have been one (of two). Why this excellent track isn't remembered as a classic alongside 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' or '(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone' is beyond me.

RobRoyF, Grand_Ennui, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

Never Enough
    5/5
    Justus really begins with this song, as an album for us middle aged guys.

pablo fanques, D-rock, Deano6 and 2 others like this.
  11. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

NEVER ENOUGH

My favorite song on the album. Fine singing by Micky, especially the second half.

5/5

12. Never Enough

I listened to the "hot version" and I like it, but I also like the original. Micky's songwriting on this album is definitely divorce-centric, but I don't think he sounds angry on this song (not that sounding angry is inherently bad). I agree with others in liking how this song is a slow build. I think this song, along with several others on Justus, has a sort of blues-rock groove to it that I really like. It's also great that, after the essentially solo efforts of Pool It! and the others '80s stuff, we get to hear the guys singing together, as well as playing together—as I listen through this album, I like being able to pick out whichever other Monkees are popping in and out on the backing vocals. Very cool. Anyway, I think Mike and Micky stand out with their playing on this song, and I don't even have a problem with the "sweet loving cup" line. 3/5

Wil1972, Grand_Ennui, zipp and 4 others like this.
  13. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

3/5 for Circle Sky, not as good as the original but I love hearing the guys all play together. Sounds nice n raw

5/5 for Never Enough, my favorite song on the album. Nez plays a mean guitar (that solo is awesome) and I just love Micky’s drumming and singing. What a great song, I love it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  14. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Never Enough:

1-0
    2-3
    3-12
    4-6
    5-6

The MEZ likes this.
  15. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Oh, What a Night:

Davy was the unexpected hero of this album, even if this probably isn’t his best song here. I think again the muddy production kind of helps it as it means that it doesn’t come across as too cloying.

Hearing Mike and Micky clearly singing doesn’t do any harm, either.

The live version that they played (once, I think) is probably slightly superior.

3/5.

16. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Oh, What A Night" I really like this song. Davy really grew as a songwriter. Sure, it's still a love song but it's a good one. My favorite so far on this album. 4/5

rocknrollforyoursoul and The MEZ like this.
  17. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Davy owned this album in my opinion. 3/5

The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Oh, What a Night

Yeah, it's kind of awful and kind of good. A sad story song which you can't take seriously because of the chorus treatment. This is probably what saves the song.

3/5

BZync, The MEZ and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

3/5 for "Oh What a Night"... A good "Davy song" ...

The MEZ likes this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Oh, What A Night - Davy’s songs on Justus are definitely some of the best that he’s written. All the guys shine here musically, love the background vocals by Micky and Nez. Davy gives a good vocal performance, just the right touch of schmaltz without overdoing it. 4/5.

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Live version from the Billboard Live Show.

Wil1972, seeknom, factory44 and 5 others like this.
  22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Live version from the 1997 British Justus tour, Birmingham, England.

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Oh, What A Night- This is a fun little song. The guitars give this song a light, almost tropical feel, which really works.Davy gives it a very good vocal, and the backing vocals are steller. A very solid 4/5:)

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Oh What a Night" -- 4/5

Great song from Davy. Really well-composed. This has a real group feeling, with the other guys' backing vocals being very identifiable, and their humor seems to subtly come through in the performance. Always liked this one.

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Oh What a Night 4/5

Love this one too. Love hearing Nez so clearly in the backing vocals.