Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That is my favorite moment too.

rocknrollforyoursoul likes this.
  2. MarkTheShark

Just an aside regarding all the comments on Peter Tork's bass playing on this album: Am I correct that although Peter was a multi-instrumentalist, he really was NOT a bass player except for one or two songs on Headquarters, and then again on Justus, and only because he had been cast as the "bass player" in the TV series?

That seems like a silly reason to have him playing bass on Justus, but it worked and he did an excellent job.

Keith V likes this.
  3. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

You and I is a 5/5

Wish the other songs on the album tapped more into the sentiment on this one

Regarding Peter on bass, he is the bass player for the Monkees as a live act in the 60s the same way Micky is the drummer

He also played bass on at least a couple of his own tracks from 1968

His playing on the live tracks from 1968 in Salt Lake City and in Japan are particularly great.

So you are incorrect, let’s move on

The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  4. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

You And I

Everything comes together on this.

Davy's vocal is fluid and not stilted as is sometimes the case. Mike's guitar flows. Pete's bass impresses.Micky is not too ostentatious be it on drums or background vocals.

The whole thing is just right.

And I think this version is way cooler than the original.

5/5

Wil1972, BZync, DaveJ and 3 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

You & I 5/5

... wonder if Rhino had released this as a single and backed it with a properly invested video ... ?

6. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

5/5 for You And I, this is the definitive version. Davy and Micky harmonize awesomely together and Peter’s bass playing really makes my jaw drop. I wish he had done more on the 60s albums, cause he really had chops on that thing. So prominent in the mix and so melodic too. Excellent song.

pablo fanques, jfmlaugh and The MEZ like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I am guessing that Peter played some guitar on Justus, even though he's not credited with it. He played a lot of guitar (and bass, and keys) on the latter-day three-piece tours, taking more solos than Nez did.

8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

On an album where I more often than not think both the instrumentation and arrangements tend to be a little overblown, this one finds the perfect balance. Great vocal by Davy, too.

4/5

9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

10. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

You and i is one of two songs on this album I will probably give a 5/5 to

a true group effort

kind of reminds me of PaPa Genes blues

sorry, but this blows away the DJBH version

D-rock, jfmlaugh, dangiedr and 2 others like this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

You and I is about a 4/5. I think Peter’s bass line is ridiculous. It sounds like a Casio preset.

The MEZ likes this.
  12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

So... “ridiculous” in a not good way?

Keith V likes this.
  13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Not really. A bit too ambitious perhaps.

14. Guy Smiley

Just curious. You seem to be in the minority here, which is fine. I’ll have to give this another listen and concentrate on Peter.

Keith V likes this.
  15. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

You and I is my favorite song on the album. Add me to the list of folks who love Davy’s vocal and Peter’s bass.

5/5.

16. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

You and I - 4/5
    This one is quite nice. I like the arrangement and I think the guitars, bass and Davy's lead vocal sound especially good, though I think it's performed well overall. I think this is a definite improvement over the DJBH version (I didn't rate that version because, simply put, I don't consider the DJBH album to be a Monkees album so I sat it out, but I thought the DJBH version sounded really wimpy, even if there was no later version to compare it to).

BobT and The MEZ like this.
  17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"You And I" Not as good as the Instant Replay song by the same name but a pretty good song nonetheless. I think it's pretty good. 4/5

The MEZ likes this.
  18. MarkTheShark

I forgot about playing live, thanks. If you figure in the live concerts that's true, thanks.

19. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

intv7, D-rock and dangiedr like this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

To be fair, it’s well played and it’s a good line. It just goes against good taste in my opinion.
    Maybe if he played something else while the vocal was going on it would be better for me.

JuanTCB likes this.
  21. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Another 5/5 for 'You and I' here. Though Justus could have been better it was such an improvement over Pool It that I remember a great sense of relief. That carried over into the live shows as they were finally embracing both Headquarters and Head as well. Now the TV special on the other hand?

intv7, D-rock, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  22. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

You And I - 5/5

When the song is right and Davy sings without straining he’s capable of scoring a home run. Which he does here.

One of the best song / performances on Justus.

BZync, seeknom, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Well, the guitar is Mike’s primary instrument. What was he going to do, suddenly take up the saxophone?

24. You and I

GREAT bass work by Pete, Davy sounds great, and Mike has some really good guitar playing here, especially on the faster riff on the chorus. I like this one better than I do the DJBH version. And the lyrics are a great sentiment for the Monkees, then and now. =) 4/5

BZync, DaveJ, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Not too found of this "You And I". I can only manage a 2/5. Sorry, can't understand the high ratings.

DaveJ and Keith V like this.