Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I Was There (And I’m Told I Had a Good Time)-Is this supposed to be the modern Randy Scouse Git? To me, this is the weakest song of the album, but it would have been one of the best on either Pool It! or Justus. It goes by quickly, so it doesn't wear out it's welcome. Just an ok tune to me-yes any of us that went to a Monkees concert get the joke. 2.5/5

BZync and FJFP like this.
  2. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Just OK to me too. With all the good stuff in the middle, it's a shame the 2 songs that bookend the album aren't as good. My opinion of course. Doesn't take away from the fact this is the best thing since Pisces. 3/5 for I Was There.

BZync likes this.
  3. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'I Know What I Know' - a very nice reflective song. Very Good.

'I Was There (And I'm Told I Had A Good Time)' - hindsight reconstructed with a solid rhythmic backbone. Very good.

intv7 likes this.
  4. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'I Was There (And I’m Told I Had a Good Time)' - this one has a nice groove, and has some funny lyrics. Definitely has the '60s vibe, which I like. Good way to close the Monkees' best reunion album. 3/5

pablo fanques and intv7 like this.
  5. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I Was There - 1/5

6. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I Was There 3/5. It's got a very White Album feel. Good way to end the proper album.

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I like "I Was There," but I have been in the car with fans who don't like it when it comes on.

I enjoyed hearing it live. Just as an aside, I think at Micky's solo show at the City Winery in Chicago the band did this song and on the screen they had the "Good Times" graphics with all the silly drawings scrolling by. It somehow worked for this song.

I am so glad they gave us this album. I am somewhat surprised it's as good as it is (and it's the only one of the reunion albums I revisit more than once every few years) given the "manufactured" way it was put together. Nez is the wild card. It really seemed like he was "done" with the Monkees again, then it's like "all right, I'll skype a song during one concert," then "all right, I'll play at the Pantages," then "all right, I'll fill in for Peter a couple nights," then "all right, I'll give you a couple days on the album," then like Michael Jordan he "retired," then "un-retired." I guess the bottom line is, if he feels like doing it, he does it.

8. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Maybe next album will have a song about Leonard Nimoy really turning into a Vulcan.

9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I Was There - 3/5
    Most Monkees fans would get right away just by the title of this song and that is a Micky-lead song. It's decent for what it is - inside joke - tongue-in-cheek oft-repeated Micky comment. All of us repeat ourselves just part of our own habits that we all have.

Simple, catchy and humorous tune. A fun, lite foot-stomper and hand-clapping track that would work well live. And it fits in with GT quite decently.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

I Was There is 3/5

Funny little song, and very nice that Micky played drums on it

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Couldn't have said it better

I Was There... 3/5

pablo fanques, RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  12. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"I Was There (And I'm Told I Had A Good Time" I really like this one. Oh sure, it's no "Magdelena" or "Hipster" but I like it. It's not perfect but I think it's really good. 4/5

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

It's loose, simple, funny, self-referential, tongue-in-cheek, and decidedly uncalculated. It's probably the most self-aware yet least self-conscious song they've ever done. It's also, of course, barely a song, but who cares? A great way to wrap up the record. 4/5.

14. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I Was There is amusing. It’s nice to have Micky end the album, and with a current song instead of a left over track. Not a song I seek out, but it’s enjoyable.

3/5.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly.

spsimmons likes this.
  16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Exactly. Perfect album closer for all the reasons you mentioned. It’s barely a song, but it’s still better than a fair number of songs the group released in the 60s. Another solid, fun 4/5.

Of course, there’s still three (Four, if you count the alternate “Magdelena” but we’ve discussed that) bonus songs to cover and they’re good too.

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  17. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I Was There (And I’m Told I Had a Good Time)

Some of the Monkee jokee songs make me cringe, but not this one.

Plus, it's a very fitting song to end this reunion type album.

4/5

18. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"I Was There"

Not the greatest song in the world, but an ideal closer for this album, finishing as it started with Micky up front. Simple and enjoyable. 3.5/5.

19. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I Was There -- 4/5. Good closer. Short and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Picked a fun album closer: 3/5...makes you want More Good Times!!

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

GOOD GOD!

Thanks for this. It sounds like a blast from a different and wonderful world!

David

23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Hi David, Welcome to this Monkees' thread. Glad you really enjoyed "Me & Magdalena" - it's indeed an awesome song. I hope you find more Monkees' music to enjoy.

DmitriKaramazov and The MEZ like this.
  24. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

"I Was There..." the scat break, the audible reference to the stick drop, and the fact that it closes the LP can't help but make me think of "Randy Scouse Git", and that ain't a bad thing!! For what is perceived as a throw away, I find this to actually be quite the ear-worm. THRILLED that Adam & co. got Micky behind the drum kit for this one as well. 4/5

25. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

This is the crux of it. I've stopped questioning the motives. He does it when he wants to do it and, generally, we as the fans benefit from when he does it. I never imagined for a second that Michael Nesmith would be actively involved in Monkees-related projects at the age of (nearly ) 77.

I Was There - 4/5
    Like Just a Game, Micky takes a deceptively simple idea and, with Adam Schlesinger's help, turns it into a nice piece of work. Great vocal, good arrangement and happy to hear him behind the drums for at least one song.