Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Terrifying -- 4/5 (and a very high 4/5 for that). A very good song that I think is better than a lot of what made it to the main disc.

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Was surprised about the ratings too. Really thought this would rate higher than Better World. Maybe it's an underdog thing.

I like Terrifying. It's the best of the outtakes.

Terrifying 4/5

Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  3. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Terryfying

Really nice groove to this song. Sure it's hard to remember the tune once the song ends, but that means you can re-listen to it endlessly.

4/5

I'd also give the two other bonus songs 4/5. I prefer all of them to Peter Tork's two Good Times tracks. So this album could have been even better than it was.

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I can see "Terrifying" being forgotten easily. Although I consider "Better World" being a song I remember not to play because it's so bad.

Not sure if people are rating Peter's songs higher due to his passing and being more sentimental or if Peter gets the sympathy vote or the underdog vote. I find it confusing although I realize it's all a matter of taste & opinion.

5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Terrifying"

I think the chorus is the best bit - or at least the guitar riff behind it. It's nice enough, and it would maybe have been a better option than one of the lesser Micky-sung tracks on the main album, but it's not clear cut. 3/5. "A Better World" is my pick of the bonus tracks - because I happen to like it on every level, and I'm pretty sure I would as well if I heard it without knowing who it was. The guitar riff, vocals and melody are right up my street.

The MEZ likes this.
  6. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Terrifying" I love this one. I definitely think this should've been on the album and not a bonus track. I really like this song and Micky sounds great on it. 4/5

7. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Maybe, but certainly not from me. I gave both of Peter's songs from Good Times a poor rating.

D-rock likes this.
  8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I have never heard the bonus tracks before. To my ears, Love's What I Want is Andy Partridge slumming. Not anywhere near Summer, but Partridge pop songs are just a joy no matter what. A bit twee but catchy as heck. I do agree that, if the production were a bit more assertive it would have presented stronger. Either way, it would have been a good addition to the album and is stronger than a few of the more forgettable tracks.

pablo fanques and Drifter like this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I liked Peter’s songs on the last two albums prior to his passing. When we get to ‘Christmas Party’ I’ll go more into Peter’s contribution.

pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  10. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Terrifying would have been the best thing on the album. 5/5.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

A Better World - although a bit obvious and preachy, it's a catchy song with good bouncy energy. The vocals are a bit sloppy, though. Wouldn't have taken too much time to tighten them up in spots. Again, I am hearing the bonus tracks for the first time. This one's not bad. Like Love's What I Want - it could have replaced a lesser song on Good Times.

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Terrifying - Micky is such a good vocalist. He really caresses this track. However, the song doesn't really go anywhere. Not a bad song but nothing particularly memorable. It's the vocal performance that really sells it.

Dr. Pepper, pablo fanques and D-rock like this.
  13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

So Rhino never had it. I wonder if it still exists.

Obviously the co-writer thing would not have been an issue for "Good Times" as it had been for "Justus."

jeremylr likes this.
  14. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'Terrifying' is really good. The melody draws you in, and (appropriately enough) the production seems to reference the '60s without getting overly embroiled in that decade. The lyrical content is also engaging, but (like most of pop music) it seems more geared towards the experience of a younger person - but then, we possibly don't want to be too often reminded by aging Monkees that we too are aging ('Me & Magdalena' did this, and we applauded it, but do it too often and we'll be contemplating our own mortality). Anyway, good track - and certainly worthy of being on Good Times! Proper.

15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

If I had to pick a “least favorite” of the bonus tracks, it would be “Better World,” but it’s really grown on me the past few years.

Maybe it’s trying to retain some kind of optimism in these times? On a personal level, I’ve had deaths in the family over the same time, so, besides what’s happening globally, there’s that too. Whatever reason, the song resonates more now than it did then.

pablo fanques, RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  16. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Terrifying is 3/5

It’s a good track and the contribution gets overlooked a bit compared to the other contemporary songwriters that contribute to the album

That said, it just doesn’t catch my ear so much. It’s not forgotten but not as pleasing to listen to as some of the others

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Better World" and "Terrifying" are both a low 2 for me.

Turk Thrust likes this.
  18. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Huh? My take on these lyrics is that they are sung from the viewpoint of someone who is older, not young.

"They're just myths they tell you to take you to your ripe old age".

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I find the melody not catchy at all. The instrumentation is rather boring and repetitive. I have more of an issue with that than Peter's vocal performance.

Drifter likes this.
  20. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Good Times offered so many fantastic songs and what a great problem to have to decide...is it a 4 or a 5?? Terrifying is another close 5/5 for me, but is a high 4/5 for me. Fantastic vocals and feel like this should have made the album. Could also see this as in the original series. Love this bonus track!!

D-rock, BZync, The MEZ and 1 other person like this.
  21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Interesting so far ...

I thought Terrifying would have higher ratings. - But this exercise is just stated opinions afterall.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  22. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

"Terrifying": I would think that maybe it was due to the concept of keeping the proper LP at a mid-1960's running length, but it is hard to believe that a track of this quality that featured contributions from all three guys would end up as bonus cut... 5/5 to me

23. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

“Terrifying” is an excellent song. I love the jangling guitar. Should have been on the album!

4/5.

24. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

LWIW - 2.5/5, not really my thing, but the handclaps and Randy call back are great.

A Better World - 3.5/5, amazing backing track

Terrifying - 5/5, excellent song, could’ve been on the album

D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  25. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Terrifying - 5/5
    This is definitely my favourite of the bonus tracks and one of my favourite Good Times! songs in general. It's a nice breezy little tune that is performed and produced well. I especially like the guitars on this song.