Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Easy Rider

I think this is a very good arrangement and performance. As said above, Pete's voice is what it is, but the backing/dual vocals and the acoustic guitar arrangements are a very supportive/complimentary. Pretty much the idea context for it, I think.

However, I do think the song itself is just so-so. It doesn't really catchy my attention. I like that it's an original, but he has written better in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to more songs by this combo. It will be interesting to see how they approach Daydream Believer.

3.1/5

The MEZ, RobRoyF, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  2. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

"Easy Rider" - 3/5 - This is a decent enough song. I wonder if the demo Peter submitted to Dennis Hopper sounded like this. I haven't seen the movie, but I would imagine Bert and Bob would have wanted harder music for that film.

Guy Smiley and HitAndRun like this.
  3. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Easy Rider is 3/5

The music is pretty good but the lyrics just seem like a placeholder and just too literal.

The actual theme song for the movie is very poetic and a better fit - tough competition from Dylan and McGuinn.

I’ve read that Dennis Hopper approached Nez about doing music for the soundtrack to Easy Rider but didn’t go for Nez’s idea of something big and brass heavy (maybe I’m not remembering that exactly)

Would have been a huge break for either Nez or Peter’s solo careers to have a song on that soundtrack.

4. NudieSuitNezHead

I can't imagine Nez doing a brass-heavy soundtrack. Now, synth-heavy... Well, that's a trademark of his...

HitAndRun likes this.
  5. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Never heard “Easy Rider” until now.

It’s pretty good, but I agree that I can’t see this fitting in the film. At least not in this arrangement. Maybe with a full band it could’ve been used, at some point in the movie.

Funny thing is, I recall reading a quote from Peter saying what “fools” BBS were for not using his song as it was “better” than what they went with. Was he referring to McGuinn’s “Ballad of Easy Rider”?

Sorry, Pete, I think they were right to go with McGuinn (who got an uncredited assist from Dylan) on that one.

Still, Pete’s “Easy Rider” is a worthy song that should’ve been released long before it finally was. 3/5.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Guy Smiley

The Wichita Train Whistle Sings album shows what he might’ve been leaning towards. That, or a song like “My Share of the Sidewalk.”

I dig those, but none of it seems like a fit for the Easy Rider film.

7. NudieSuitNezHead

I just read an L.A. Times article about the story behind the Easy Rider soundtrack, and there was no mention of approaching either Nez or Peter for contributions.

HitAndRun likes this.
  8. Guy Smiley

Gotta beat Davy’s reimagining of it.

9. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Check out the Witchita Train Whistle Sings album

Guy Smiley and HitAndRun like this.
  10. NudieSuitNezHead

I'll have to check it out. I have it, but I haven't listened to it all the way through yet.

I just listened to a few tracks just now. I still don't think Nez would have necessarily done big band brass for Easy Rider. However, if someone else had jokingly suggested it, he may have taken THAT seriously, just like he did when someone had jokingly suggested adding strings to "I'm A Believer."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    HitAndRun likes this.
  11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This is nicely recorded and the guitars are arranged well and the vocals blend nicely and everything, but my reaction to this song has never changed since I first heard it back in the '90s: "That's all?" For something that's loomed so large in Peter's decidedly un-large solo catalog over the decades... it's pretty underwhelming. Pleasant enough, sure, but just kind of generally unremarkable.

That said, my favorite take on it is from Peter's solo tour in '13. It had a little more grit and wit and character to it.

As 3/5 as a 3/5 can be.

12. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Easy Rider
    I'm conflicted on rating this.
    One one hand, I like that it's a Peter Tork original. There are only about 20 of those, right?
    And I like that it dates almost back to his time w/The Monkees, and the apparent near relationship with the one of the most iconic films of all time.
    It's played and performed well.
    But the song itself here is a just a tad slight, imo, to rate a 4.
    Guess I'll go with 3.5/5

The MEZ, HitAndRun, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  13. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

For me, if 2.5 is average, then this is 2/5. It's a quite catchy but goes nowhere and doesn't engage. As usual, the vocal is not a strong point.

Easy Rider - 2/5

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Easy Rider"-3/5

HitAndRun and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Adding horns actually :)

16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Easy Rider:

1-0
    2-1
    3-10
    4-0
    5-0

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  17. Turk Thrust

Today's first song is Bulldozer:

We will discuss two songs today, as Peter is not too audible on this track.

I like James Lee Stanley's songwriting, but listening to too many of this duo's recordings can become samey quite quickly. They are all very easy on the ear, but also make me feel awfully sleepy.

A low 3/5.

18. Turk Thrust

Today's second song is Another Side to This Life:

This cover is fairly similar to Fred Neil's original, but if anything it is perhaps slightly more lethargic.

Peter sounds quite good, and Fred Neil didn't exactly have a technically perfect voice himself, but I don't think this is a particular improvement on the original.

A harsh 2.5/5.

HitAndRun likes this.
  19. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Bulldozer" -- 3.5/5

I like this track. Kind of typical JLS fare, and I find my toe tapping from beginning to end, and the harmonies are very good.

"Another Side to This Life" -- 3.5/5

Pleasant reading of this tune. I know this one strictly from cover versions -- Jefferson Airplane, Gram Parsons, and The Animals come to mind offhand. Very decent job here.

20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I will give a listen to these two songs but wanted to add to Easy Rider. I think with the proper arrangement, this song would have been a good tune for the movie. As is, it is not capturing the correct mood but it is a decent track. If someone wanted this song for the movie, the right producer/arranger could have made it work.

21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Bulldozer - 3/5
    This is an enjoyable track - easy listening on a near-Spring day. Quite relaxing

Another Side to This Life - 3/5
    I like both these tracks about the same. I wish now I had picked these 2 Man Band albums up earlier. Now is better than never.

22. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Bulldozer

This is a nice catchy track with a good performance, and a good acoustic arrangement. Some good hooks in the guitar work. JLS sings it well, and I'm more used to his voice now.

3.2/5

Another Side to this Life

I'm not familiar with the Fred Neil original, but this is a good little song that is performed and arranged well. The strengths of the combo are readily apparent here.

3.5/5

23. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

"Bulldozer" 2.5./5

"Another side to this life" This is a fantastic song. This version gets a 3/5. It could have been higher if they had made it their " own" a little more. But seriously, hard to stray from the original.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and JuanTCB like this.
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Bulldozer - nice performance and arrangement but just so... bland. It's too smooth - especially for a song called "Bulldozer". I'd like it more if it was just a little off-kilter or just... something a little galvanizing. 2.5/5

Another Side Of Life - This is great. A perfect cover for the duo - a contemporary update done with dignity. 4/5

25. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Bulldowzer - 2 /5 Bland is exactly the word I'd use. It's just so nice but doesn't say anything.

Other Side To This Life - 3.5 /5 I'm afraid the boys are up against it taking on a track from one of the great folk albums of the 60's. Having said that, it's tastefully done and Peter's vocal is fine. A surprising success.

HitAndRun, D-rock and pablo fanques like this.