Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sexina - Never, never knew that this even existed! What a hoot, Davy doing a James Bond theme parody, and hamming it up for all it’s worth. Beauty! 5/5

2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Sexina" -- 3.5/5

Wow, I had no idea this existed! :laugh:

Good for Davy, this is enjoyable.

HitAndRun and RobRoyF like this.
  3. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Sexina - 3/5
    I also never knew about this song. It's right up Davy's alley with his bawdy sense of humor. This was fun and definitely obscure since even Fred did not know about it! Goshoroni, I do miss Davy's interviews. Hard to believe he's been gone almost a decade now. Turk Thrust, great job on finding all these relatively unknown solo tracks.

4. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Sedona 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  5. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

The sound on this one made it tough to hear, so I will not rate. It sounded like I expected after reading what it was. Davy has had a few TV and movie gigs and those all were respectable for the projects at that time.

HitAndRun likes this.
  6. super sally

Sexina , not Sedona.. lol

HitAndRun likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sexina 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

He really could have been a very funny comedic actor like Dudley Moore .. if he hadn't actually acted and just played himself; which a lot of actors do.

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Not much else to say other than Sexina is ridiculous and awesome and nobody else could have pulled this off like Davy.

4/5

The MEZ, D-rock, HitAndRun and 2 others like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you and you're welcome.

When I bought and watched this DVD, recorded a video of the opening theme and uploaded it to Youtube, I did ask..."Am I going slightly mad?" My wife responded emphatically in the affirmative, so nice to see that this song is new to some people. :)

11. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Sexina:

1-0
    2-0
    3-6
    4-1
    5-1

HitAndRun likes this.
  12. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Best Friend:

Micky singing Nilsson again, and another song that is disposable yet fun.

The music and vocals are both loose and imperfect, intentionally so, but the energy makes this enjoyable to dig out occasionally.

3/5.

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Best Friend - Another one I didn’t know about. Micky going Punk with Brandon Cruz. It’s fun and it Rocks! 4/5.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  14. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Best Friend

This is a fun rarity, which starts out normal and then goes a bit more interesting when the tempo speeds up. However, it then ends. Short songs are part of the punk philosophy, but this leaves me wanting more. The arrangement is fun and suits Micky going slightly over the top.

3.7/5

RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Best Friend" -- 3/5

Brandon Cruz's vocal leaves something to be desired, but Micky sounds good and it's nothing more than a fun, short version of this tune that was used as the theme to the show that Brandon starred in as a kid. It's fine.

pablo fanques, RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.
  16. super sally

Best friend
    A true 3/5

pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  17. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

As far as taking older songs and remaking them into punk, new wave, etc. the former Monkees have had some interesting versions and this certainly is one. Aptly described by Turk and I am also amazed at the supremely rare tracks that he has been able to share with us. I just heard Gonna Buy Me a Dog on Spotify today. One of the first, if not the first, example of Micky's ability to sing and be comical and crazy at the same time.

RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.
  18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I think this was the first Monkees-related rarity I ever found on Napster or Limewire or whatever around 20 years ago. I was in the middle of a bit of a hiatus following the guys so "Best Friend" was a cool but slightly baffling suprise. I probably haven't heard it since shortly after I downloaded it but it's held up pretty well for what it is. And I never made the Harry connection before, so now it all makes a little more sense.

It's pretty ridiculous and over the top but I think it suits the sentiment perfectly. And more importantly, Mick sounds like he's having a blast. I think Harry would approve.

4/5

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Best Friend - 3/5
    I wasn't familiar with this one either. It's a fun just messing around track. I had to read up on Brandon Cruz as I was not familiar with him. I had heard of the TV show (Courtship of Eddie's Father), but don't recall much about it. Anyway, I wish this was a tad bit longer, so I am docking it for that.

HitAndRun and JJR like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Best Friend"- 3.5/5

HitAndRun, The MEZ and pablo fanques like this.
  21. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Best Friend:

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-3
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. Turk Thrust

Today we will discuss the album Live/Backstage at the Coffee Gallery (here is one track):

In some senses, this is exactly what you would expect. Two old friends engaging in relaxed banter while performing fairly sedate songs. It's nothing to exactly set the pulses racing. It's redeemed both by the fine musicianship and by the surprisingly quite tight harmonies.

Some of Peter's songs also add a change of pace such as the one linked to above, Cripple Creek and the crowd pleasing Pleasant Valley Sunday.

I have to knock off half a mark for the 6 minute anecdote about hotel bathrooms!

3/5.

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Live/Backstage at the Coffee Gallery - A nice live recording with Peter and James Lee Stanley. Performing music live delighted Peter and it shows on this set.

When Peter passed away, I purchased the download of this album. Even though I never saw Peter and James perform together, this album did remind me of the many live solo shows I saw Peter do.

A very nice companion to the other solo Monkees live albums. 5/5.

24. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Nice short live version of a Pete song. One of his I enjoy in it’s original released form and here as well. A 3.5. As a side note: when at a show the banter is always a highlight but most times it doesn’t translate as well after the show when listening to a recording over and over. One exception I pointed out in some thread was Nez prior to launching into Wax Minute.

25. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Live/Backstage at the Coffee Gallery is 3/5

Solid performance with some of the more interesting song from Peter’s repertoire.

Curious why this album was taken as a whole but not others, that in my opinion should have been, like the TimeRider soundtrack.

HitAndRun likes this.